GrumpyOldRetiree

Can't get 10 rounds into S&W 10 round magazines

I just bought 4 brand new S&W 10 round magazines for my M&P 9C to replace the 12 rounders I shipped down to SC for safe keeping years ago.

I also bought 2 pro-mag 10 rounders because the were less expensive and I wanted to compare the 2 brands.

Well, try as I might, I can only fit 9 rounds in the S&W's, but the Pro-mags hold and feed 10 flawlessly.

I disassembled one of the S&W's, inspected and lightly lubed the mag to no avail.

I tried using an Uplula loader and was bearing down pretty hard without success.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

4 hours ago, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

I just bought 4 brand new S&W 10 round magazines for my M&P 9C to replace the 12 rounders I shipped down to SC for safe keeping years ago.

I also bought 2 pro-mag 10 rounders because the were less expensive and I wanted to compare the 2 brands.

Well, try as I might, I can only fit 9 rounds in the S&W's, but the Pro-mags hold and feed 10 flawlessly.

I disassembled one of the S&W's, inspected and lightly lubed the mag to no avail.

I tried using an Uplula loader and was bearing down pretty hard without success.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

M&P Mags?  Yes.

The main issue is the follower hitting the bottom block.

If you feel up to it - you can modify the follower by cutting off the ears that push down.  IIRC there's a center "hump" as well that needs to be cut down too.

I've done this to mine.

image.png

Here's what it looks like 

4JjFoP7.jpg

CluWxmM.jpg

Smith & Wesson is well aware of the problem and they do not care.

They keep selling the same magazines, with no attempt to fix the problem.

Just another reason why I will never purchase, nor will I recommend, a current production S&W firearm. 

• Like 1

It took quite a while for my Shield 45 magazines, 6 or 7 rounders, to load. The 40 full size isn't too bad with the Uplula, but the 9c 10 rounders will only take 9 with the Uplula unless I put an incredible amount of pressure to it. Interesting solution Krdshrk.

22 minutes ago, bennj said:

It took quite a while for my Shield 45 magazines, 6 or 7 rounders, to load. The 40 full size isn't too bad with the Uplula, but the 9c 10 rounders will only take 9 with the Uplula unless I put an incredible amount of pressure to it. Interesting solution Krdshrk.

I think I found the solution here from someone else that had the same issue, years ago.  

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

M&P Mags?  Yes.

The main issue is the follower hitting the bottom block.

Hey! Thanks for the fix. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. Is there any chance of trimming those tabs too short and winding up with an 11 rounder (Oh no! God forbid!!)?

47 minutes ago, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

Hey! Thanks for the fix. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. Is there any chance of trimming those tabs too short and winding up with an 11 rounder (Oh no! God forbid!!)?

Nope!  Even with it trimmed down like I have it, it still barely fits the 10th round in.