ESB

Securing handgun when visiting places that do not allow HG inside?

I think it's better to have a dedicated lockbox.  I have other stuff in the glove box, so I prefer to use the lockbox.  Cable lock makes it easier to discreetly unholster and store.

Amazon Basics Portable box is under $25

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077K3FJHC

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I think it's better to have a dedicated lockbox.  I have other stuff in the glove box, so I prefer to use the lockbox.  Cable lock makes it easier to discreetly unholster and store.

Amazon Basics Portable box is under $25

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077K3FJHC

I have a similar lockbox.

I prefer to not co-mingle gun and not gun things...

I would just like to add that I was very concerned about leaving my gun in my truck at the High School the other night.  Homecoming football game with lots and lots of kids walking by my truck.  Made me very uncomfortable.  I really believe the gun and myself are better protected while under my direct control.

3 hours ago, ryan141 said:

I really believe the gun and myself are better protected while under my direct control

Indeed.

Unfortunately that's not a legal option for you, so you either have to leave it home, or be as stealthy as possible when you're locking it up.

I think "prohibited parking lot area" is pretty clear since it follows the description "the holder of a valid and lawfully issued permit to carry under N.J.S.2C:58-4 who is otherwise prohibited under this section from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location"

They're both talking about the same location:  Parking area of a prohibited location is a "prohibited parking lot area" even though the writers of the bill could have made it more obvious.

And...I've now had several occasions to secure my firearm in a lock box in both my pickup and my wife's SUV.  It's no longer an issue for me although I do think it would be safer not to unload and load a gun in a parking area.  I can easily unload my gun while sitting in my truck and nobody is going to notice.  Keep it all down on my lap and it's fine.  Takes 30 seconds.   I keep the lockbox in the back of the SUV so I'm doing the covert draw while turned with my hip to the car and the unloading/loading shuffle while leaning a little into the back of the car and nobody notices that either.  Might look like I'm itching my hip though.  Also takes 30 seconds.

It's a poorly thought out law but I so far complying hasn't been difficult.  Just dumb that 1000 people are safe around me at Walmart but the 3 people in the doctor's office are in danger.

I wish someone would write these regulations in plain english, but that would prevent them from prosecuting us for failure to comply with this bunch of horseshit.