sroc112

Catching up on recent NJ changes

Good morning all,

Its been a very long time since i have been active on this board. I used to frequent the forum back when i got started purchasing my first few guns amd was pretty in tune with everything. Needless to say, since that time, i have moved, changed jobs, had 2 kids, and about to move again. So my gun purchasimg and research has seriously been put on the back burner.

I am going to spend some time this weekend going through the forum to get caught up on as much as i can. However, wondering of yall can address 2 main topics i have regarding changes in NJ gun laws so i can make sure i am up to speed. I have alot of reading to go through, and i see some of these threads are 100's of pages long, so i have a long weekend ahead.

- Regarding NJ CCP - it looks like some members on here have had success applying and being approved, correct? I waited once the new law was passed as i didnt want to risk being declined right when it first changed for no apparent reason.

- Anyone have a link that outlines exactly what additional liability insuramce one is to have? Any suggestions on policy providers?

- each time you change addresses, are you required to reapply through the township you now live in, or is it just a request to update your existing permit?

- Do you still need to specify the exact gun you will carry, and are limited to only carrying that 1 firearm as indicated on your application?

- Have there beem much changes regardimg possion of hollow point ammunition? I know that there was always the limktation around traveling with it or using it in a crime, but has restriction tightened now that you cannot even possess it in your own home?

Really appreciate you all getting me caught up while i sift through all the recent threads. Glad to be back!

1 hour ago, sroc112 said:

- Regarding NJ CCP - it looks like some members on here have had success applying and being approved, correct? I waited once the new law was passed as i didnt want to risk being declined right when it first changed for no apparent reason.

- Anyone have a link that outlines exactly what additional liability insuramce one is to have? Any suggestions on policy providers?

- each time you change addresses, are you required to reapply through the township you now live in, or is it just a request to update your existing permit?

- Do you still need to specify the exact gun you will carry, and are limited to only carrying that 1 firearm as indicated on your application?

- Have there beem much changes regardimg possion of hollow point ammunition? I know that there was always the limktation around traveling with it or using it in a crime, but has restriction tightened now that you cannot even possess it in your own home?

Answers, in the same order as the questions:

• Yes, many of us have received carry permits. There are some who applied early and went through the old process with the Superior Courts and others that have received permits using the new process where the permit is issued by the police.
  • The liability insurance requirement does not come into effect until July 1, 2023 and is being challenged in Federal District Court. My opinion is that it will not withstand scrutiny and will get tossed. Until we find out one way or another, I am not going to worry about it.
    The text of the statute is:
    2C:58-4.3 Liability insurance, handgun, public, carrying.
       4. a. Every private citizen who carries a handgun in public in this State shall maintain liability insurance coverage insuring against loss resulting from liability imposed by law for bodily injury, death, and property damage sustained by any person arising out of the ownership, maintenance, operation or use of a firearm carried in public wherein such coverage shall be at least in an amount or limit of $300,000, exclusive of interest and costs, on account of injury to or death of more than one person and for damage to property, in any one incident.

b.   Proof of liability insurance, as required pursuant to subsection a. of this section, shall be produced by the person carrying a handgun in public, within a reasonable amount of time following any injury, death, or property damage alleged to have been caused by the person carrying the handgun in public. This requirement shall be satisfied by delivering a full and complete copy of the applicable policy or policies of insurance that meet the standards established by subsection a. of this section and that were in force at the time of the injury, death, or property damage.

Notwithstanding the provisions of this subsection, disclosure of policy information under this section shall not constitute an admission that the alleged injury, death, or property damage is subject to the policy.

Information concerning the insurance policy shall not be admissible as evidence at trial by reason of disclosure pursuant to this subsection. The disclosure shall be confidential and available only to the injured person, representative of the decedent, or owner of damaged property and the attorney representing the injured person, representative of the decedent, or owner of damaged property and personnel in the office of the attorney.

c.   A violation of this section shall be a crime of the fourth degree and shall constitute full and sufficient grounds for revocation of a permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to N.J.S.2C:58-4.

• There is nothing in the statutes that indicate a carry permit holder needs to notify anyone that they have changed address because they have a carry permit. However, it would be unusual for a carry permit holder to not also have an FPIC, and that does have a change of address notification requirement. There is nowhere on the actual carry permit to put your address, and it is valid across the whole of NJ.
  • As part of the application you need to submit your qualification scores with the gun you intend to carry. With the new process where the courts are no longer involved, there is no mechanism to restrict the permit to specific handgun(s) (there never was, but that's another story). The gun you intend to carry when you apply is not necessarily the gun you decide to carry later in the 2 year period that your permit is valid. If you get your permit under the new system, your permit is valid for any and every handgun you own, but legal advice is to at least have proof that you have passed a qualification course of fire with any other gun you decide to carry in order to show competence if you ever wind up in court. Side note: even though your permit covers ever gun you own, you are limited to carrying a maximum of 2 guns at a time.
  • The statutes regarding possession of hollowpoints have not changed. They are still legal at and while travelling between the exempt locations, but not to carry around day to day. Filled hollowpoints are allowed. Hornady Critical Duty and Critical Defense are examples of these. The hollowpoint is filled with a polymer plug which aids consistent expansion. This is spelled out in the FAQ on the NJSP web site.

I’m not a police officer, are hollow points legal for me to possess?

Yes.  They are legal for purchase and possess in your home or on land owned by you.  They are legal to possess and use at a gun range.  They are also legal to possess while traveling to and from such places. Ammunition lacking a hollow cavity at the tip, such as those with a polymer filling, are not considered to be hollow point ammunition.  An example of this can be seen with the Hornady Critical Defense / Critical Duty, Cor-Bon PowRball / Glaser Safety Slug and Nosler Inc. Defense ammunition.

• Informative 3

2 hours ago, sroc112 said:

Good morning all,

Its been a very long time since i have been active on this board. I used to frequent the forum back when i got started purchasing my first few guns amd was pretty in tune with everything. Needless to say, since that time, i have moved, changed jobs, had 2 kids, and about to move again. So my gun purchasimg and research has seriously been put on the back burner.

I am going to spend some time this weekend going through the forum to get caught up on as much as i can. However, wondering of yall can address 2 main topics i have regarding changes in NJ gun laws so i can make sure i am up to speed. I have alot of reading to go through, and i see some of these threads are 100's of pages long, so i have a long weekend ahead.

Really appreciate you all getting me caught up while i sift through all the recent threads. Glad to be back!

The insurance you need is not allowed to be sold in the state of NJ, yet you are required to have the insurance. The insurance requirement does not kick in until July, so the thing should be worked out by then. See podcast #117 at gun.lawyer, which talks about this very issue....

https://gun.lawyer/episode-117-size-matters-and-other-lies-cops-tell/

19 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

@Mr.Stu i was told I had to get a new permit if i moved,  however as you said i don't see an address on my permit.  It only has the county.  Im curious if there is a statute on that, if it's part of a court order,  or just a clerk making things up. 

There is nothing in the statutes saying you need a new permit if you move. The county on the permit is just who issued it. It doesn't even have to be the county where you live in all cases. E.g. if you got a permit as an armored car driver, the county where you work would have issued the permit, which is not necessarily the county where you live.

• Thanks 1

What ranges/facilities here in NJ have members had good experiences completing their required training for their application process? I am located in monmouth county.

My current DL and FPID have my current address listed on them. I will be moving most likely within the next 90-120 days, and will likely stay at that address for at least 24 months. Ill get my DL updated once i move of course, and will update my FPID just for the hell of it, even though i likely wont be purchasing anything new. I will be staying im monmouth county with this move. Wondering if it makes sense to wait until after i move (within 90-120 days) to go through the process for my ccp to avoid any issies with having to change address on any paperwork

27 minutes ago, sroc112 said:

What ranges/facilities here in NJ have members had good experiences completing their required training for their application process? I am located in monmouth county.

My current DL and FPID have my current address listed on them. I will be moving most likely within the next 90-120 days, and will likely stay at that address for at least 24 months. Ill get my DL updated once i move of course, and will update my FPID just for the hell of it, even though i likely wont be purchasing anything new. I will be staying im monmouth county with this move. Wondering if it makes sense to wait until after i move (within 90-120 days) to go through the process for my ccp to avoid any issies with having to change address on any paperwork

This is New Jersey.  "They" will do anything to keep you from exercising your rights.  Plan and act accordingly.