Mrs. Peel

Risks for Women Staying at Hotels...

Wow! This is an eye-opening article. I used to travel a lot and was "prepped" by some of my fellow female travelers in the office (thankfully)... so I had my eyes open and was a reasonably savvy and cautious traveler from the get-go. That said, I was still surprised to read how some of these hotel staffers mentioned in this article simply handed out keycards to women's rooms without ascertaining that the man requesting it was actually listed as a room occupant!! I mean, they just literally handed the keycards over to predators. :facepalm: 

Now, you might think, well the woman should have used the interior safety latch once she was in the room (because, I admit, that was the first thought that I had, too)... but in one of these cases, the perpetrator actually convinced the hotel staff to disable the lock! Yeah. That's worthy of a rare quadruple: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Unbelievable! He must have been quite the con artist. (In a couple of cases these women got falling down drunk... and damn, that's so risky for a woman under any circumstances, and especially when away on travel. Nonetheless, it doesn't excuse the attacks, of course, nor does it describe all of the cases).

Some of these attacks sound just horrific... and resulted in big settlements against the hotels. Forewarned is forearmed. Pass the word to any women you know!  Hotel sexual assaults on the rise as predators given access to women’s rooms in horrifying trend: law firm (msn.com)

• Informative 2

Years ago my girlfriend (now wife) and I stayed at a hotel that she booked and about 2am someone comes knocking on the door saying they brought the towels she requested. I recall thinking this is really fishy so I told him go away in the manliest voice I could muster. Could have been a simple mistake but it was very eye-opening at the time. Ever since, we are always careful.

• Informative 2

I've almost always asked for ID when I forget my key and ask for a new one, maybe I come across as suspicious?

Almost always there is a physical block on the door too-the thing you rotate 90 degrees and it blocks the door from opening? They can be defeated, but usually will create a ruckus and give some time and warning to respond.

I stay in hotels a LOT….traveling probably 60+% of the time. 

EVERY single time I have asked for a new key, the desk clerk asked for an ID. 
Of course, women should always be careful traveling, and use the door stopper on the room door. Hell, I do! 

Somewhat funny story…I was in DC, (where all the weird shit happens to me), and I checked into my hotel after a very long day. Hilton hotel. 
When I walked into the room, there was a naked woman fresh out of the shower standing there. 
She screamed. I was shocked. 
I quickly backed out and was very apologetic. 

I went back to the front desk and told them what happened..apparently they accidentally gave the the same room as a flight attendant on layover. 
She wasn’t happy, and neither was I. 

Wound up getting comped a suite, so it wasn’t a total loss. 
Although it was awkward when I saw her at breakfast the next morning…

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Somewhat funny story…I was in DC, (where all the weird shit happens to me), and I checked into my hotel after a very long day. Hilton hotel. 
When I walked into the room, there was a naked woman fresh out of the shower standing there. 

Usually you have to pay extra for that.

I saw a similar thing one night, when standing in a long line of people bused to a hotel by an airline after a flight cancellation.   A woman who had been well ahead of me in line came stomping back to the desk saying there was a man asleep in the room she had been given. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I stay in hotels a LOT….traveling probably 60+% of the time. 

EVERY single time I have asked for a new key, the desk clerk asked for an ID. 
Of course, women should always be careful traveling, and use the door stopper on the room door. Hell, I do! 

She screamed. I was shocked. 
I quickly backed out and was very apologetic. 

I went back to the front desk and told them what happened..apparently they accidentally gave the the same room as a flight attendant on layover. 
She wasn’t happy, and neither was I. 

Wound up getting comped a suite, so it wasn’t a total loss. 
Although it was awkward when I saw her at breakfast the next morning…

I've seen that "movie," although it ended differently. :icon_lol:

16 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

Something like that.  :icon_lol:

Had a similar incident in Atlantic City.  I was in 863.  Pushed the wrong button and would up getting off on the 6th floor. Went to 663.  Went in and there was a woman in bed. She got up, surprised of course, I said wrong room and left.

No more to the story.

• Crazy 1