oldguysrule649

Tested my intended carry ammo - a FAIL

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I'm a bit surprised about reliability with different ammo in a G19 now.  The agency I worked for for transitioned from the 6906 to the G19 in 1998.  The G19 weighs about 21 oz and the 6906 about 26. I guess the 5 oz makes a difference limp wristing.  After addressing limp wristing issues, overseeing about 200 Glocks for 7 years, each firing about 1000 rds a year between quals and training, I could count the malfunctions encountered on my fingers and toes.  All magazine related.

Oh yes, there were some ammo related issues too.  Mostly primer related.

Most of these were averted be because I taught my people to examine their ammo they loaded.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:12 PM, Tunaman said:

Try some Norma NXD.  Major wound channel and less felt recoil.  Looks like those hollow points are hitting that feed ramp hard.  I'd try a different barrel too to see if the feed ramp angle is messed up.

It's like norma's posi-drive to lehigh's phillips head. 

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

It's like norma's posi-drive to lehigh's phillips head. 

I think both are interesting options.

Definitely worth testing if there are feed issues with hollow points.

I think it’s mag related…some of the factory Glock mags did some weird stuff for me, due to some dimensional differences over the standard cap mags. 

If I can find some CD 115gr today I’ll pick up a box or two and test it out this weekend. I have a factory 10 round mag somewhere around here, I’ll compare with standard factory mags in my G-19.

2 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Just received my order of Lehigh Defense 90gr XD. Interesting looking bullet. This week is a busy one for me.  Hope to get a chance to test them on the weekend.  Will report back.

IMG_4923.thumb.JPG.4e1019eec83ee24ad8c7864d7daf3e56.JPG

Don't know about such a light bullet.  I've loaded 90-95 gr bullets up to 1500+ fps.  Not impressed with the terminal ballistics.

• Agree 1

I dont know how these are going to feed compared to your hollowpoints,  But I did shoot some of the Norma NXD which are more of a round nose.  I would think if you get hit center mass with one of those Lehigh rounds you are not going to make it. They look like they are gonna hurt real bad...

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

I dont know how these are going to feed compared to your hollowpoints,  But I did shoot some of the Norma NXD which are more of a round nose.  I would think if you get hit center mass with one of those Lehigh rounds you are not going to make it. They look like they are gonna hurt real bad...

Agree

On 4/3/2023 at 5:17 PM, oldguysrule649 said:

Just received my order of Lehigh Defense 90gr XD. Interesting looking bullet. This week is a busy one for me.  Hope to get a chance to test them on the weekend.  Will report back.

IMG_4923.thumb.JPG.4e1019eec83ee24ad8c7864d7daf3e56.JPG

An update:  This evening I tested the Lehigh Defense 9mm 90gr XD ammo in my Glock 26 which will be my primary carry firearm.  (Left the Glock 19 home this time.)  As before I used Glock 19 magazines (numbered 1, 2, & 7) with the X-Rite adapter.  Two of these three mags were used in my prior testing as well.   Shot a total of 51 rounds, 17 through each of the three magazines.  I loaded and shot each mag with 9, 3, 3, & 2 rounds. I.e. four insertions of each mag.  I consider the results to be excellent, although not 100% perfect,  and I came away quite pleased with the reliability.  There were no failures to feed nor any jams as was the case with my prior testing with Hornady Critical Defense.   The only issue I encountered was one Failure to Eject.  Specifically, When I was shooting mag#7 loaded with nine rounds, the first three rounds fired fine and the slide went back into battery. However when I then pulled the trigger, I heard a Click-but no bang. I dropped the mag, pulled back the slide and the empty casing ejected.   I frankly think I may have limpwristed on that one. So the bottomline is I now consider this ammo to be my carry ammo of choice in my Glock 26.  (Once I acquire more, I will likewise test it in my Glock 19.)  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

so after reading this.........i gotta ask.....is anyone else been running critical defense through a glock 19? that's what i had planned on using....and am about to order a few boxes to test now.....

all of those ones with the phillips head looking noses kinda scare me, cause they just look like ftf's waiting to happen......

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

so after reading this.........i gotta ask.....is anyone else been running critical defense through a glock 19? that's what i had planned on using....and am about to order a few boxes to test now.....

Yep no issues.  I use G19 Gen 5 mags.  No issue with my G48 either.

ok. just for shiits n giggles, i just hand cycled some critical defense through my g19, and was easily able to duplicate eXACTLY what the op posted pictures of. annnd it only did it on the last round in the mag every time it happened. glock factory 10 round mags.  it wasn't hard to clear. hold the slide back, shake the gun and the round came loose. once i was able to get it to feed, other times it slide-locked on the empty mag with the round flopping around.

i have some speer gold dot hollow points, so i loaded a couple rounds in each mag, did the same thing. they're worse.i actually had one set locked that same way on the 3rd from last round.  now i dunno what to do. since it's only locking up on the last round, i guess it's still somewhat safe to carry for now, as long as i don't run the mag dry.

Just now, Krdshrk said:

Yep no issues.  I use G19 Gen 5 mags.  No issue with my G48 either.

gen5 mags work in a gen4?

5 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

What do you have right now?  Gen 3?  Can try some of my mags before dropping any money.  Also maybe try Magpul GL9's

i've got a gen4.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Gen 3, 4 & 5 are interchangeable if you have the mag release set up for a right hander. Only gen 4 & 5 work if your mag release is switched to left handed.

even though i shoot left hand, i left the release set up for a right hander. oddly, that's easier for me.

• Crazy 1

Tested with both my G19s. Could not locate my old factory 10 round mag, I may have sold it. Used factory 15 round mags. 

Was not able to replicate the failure OP had. 

I DID discover an issue with my carry gun, the trigger would not reset. If I flicked it forward a little it would reset, but not with the cycling of the slide. I’ll pull it apart later. 

Meanwhile, am switching to my backup G19 to carry until this is sorted out. 

Tested with both my G19s. Could not locate my old factory 10 round mag, I may have sold it. Used factory 15 round mags. 

Was not able to replicate the failure OP had. I think it was a mag issue.  

I DID discover an issue with my carry gun, the trigger would not reset. If I flicked it forward a little it would reset, but not with the cycling of the slide. I’ll pull it apart later. 

5 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Was not able to replicate the failure OP had. I think it was a mag issue.  

i think i bought them from ya