Pizza Bob

Women in Competition

This topic seemed apropos for National Women's History Month, and one I deemed worthy for my one-post return. This forum used to be a hotbed of competition information and interest. Even the forum's owner was heavily into competition, until he became a father. Kind of sad to see that the interest no longer seems to be there, save for a few hearty souls.

What prompted me to make this one-time post is an experience I had yesterday and would love to see repeated often, in the future. I shot in a small IDPA match yesterday at Blue Ridge Cherry Valley in Sciota, PA (froze my ass off, but had a good time). As I said, it was a small match - total of 35 participants shooting 7 stages. What was unique was that slightly more than 25% of the shooters were women - I have never experienced that large a turnout (at a tier 1 match) of female shooters, and it was heartening. This sport - not just competition, but firearms in general - needs more female participation at all levels. I have been shooting competition for more than a decade and while we always had one or two women come out to shoot, I had never seen that large a turnout (percentagewise).

I don't know how many female participants there are on this forum, but I would encourage them to get out there and participate in some form of structured shooting. Likewise to the spouses and significant others of the male participants of this board. We need factions from across the spectrum of the general population if we are to survive the liberal full-court press to, literally, do away with the 2A.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Down here in my part of FL there is usually a respectful showing of the lady's at the ranges and the few competitions I've watched. Maybe it's cultural or ease of ccw but at least it's a sport the transmutations don't have the upper hand. Sam Colt said something to that effect. 

My sister is involved with Girlz&Guns in southeastern PA.  I think it's based in Delaware County.  In addition to their own competitions, they travel as a group to IDPA and USPSA matches.  They are VERY active.  She also shoots trap very well.

This week, she is in Colorado for their national conference and on Tuesday she had the opportunity to shoot steel targets from a helicopter.