dman2112

Traveling out in and out of EWR - now with PTC

Hello all,

Before I received my PTC, I traveled in an out of Newark with a firearm the usual way.  Checked as lugage / firearm, see the obese TSA guy in the back room, get the red tag, etc.  

Now with a PTC, are there any changes I need to make to this process?  I looked through all the new legalese and it just restricts carry at a trans hub but do I still lock it up in a case lock I always did and check it?

25 minutes ago, dman2112 said:

Hello all,

Before I received my PTC, I traveled in an out of Newark with a firearm the usual way.  Checked as lugage / firearm, see the obese TSA guy in the back room, get the red tag, etc.  

Now with a PTC, are there any changes I need to make to this process?  I looked through all the new legalese and it just restricts carry at a trans hub but do I still lock it up in a case lock I always did and check it?

I think the process for flying with a checked firearm is unchanged.   Your PTC won't grant special privileges of any kind once you enter a transportation hub.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, 10X said:

I think the process for flying with a checked firearm is unchanged.   Your PTC won't grant special privileges of any kind once you enter a transportation hub.

Thanks.  Wasn't looking for anything EXTRA just anything worse  or that would require extra work on my part traversing the parking lot with a pistol in a locked box that I have to watch out for.

3 minutes ago, dman2112 said:

Thanks.  Wasn't looking for anything EXTRA just anything worse  or that would require extra work on my part traversing the parking lot with a pistol in a locked box that I have to watch out for.

I'm not a lawyer, but the process shouldn't be any worse for you, either.   The security apparatchiks shouldn't even know you have a permit, so they'd have no basis to treat you differently than anyone else planning to check a firearm.

A4769 made possession of a firearm at a transport hub a felony, regardless of whether you have a carry permit or not. Also regardless of whether the gun is cased and unloaded or not.

It came up in Friday's court hearing and the AG's lawyer said there is an exemption for the public rights of way, i.e. the roads, so to be legal you would have to use a curbside luggage check. I'm not sure how that would work - would the TSA come out to your car to inspect the gun case and attach the label?

The big flaw in that is I don't see any exemption in the statutes for the luggage handler. They would be committing a felony by taking the luggage into the terminal.

The transport hub restriction is not currently enjoined.

• Informative 1

50 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Further thought - how do UPS/Fedex/USPS transport firearms? Generally 1 day or 2 day Air, right? How can they move firearms though Newark without committing a felony?

THey're special because thats who they vote for

On 3/20/2023 at 6:38 PM, Mr.Stu said:

A4769 made possession of a firearm at a transport hub a felony, regardless of whether you have a carry permit or not. Also regardless of whether the gun is cased and unloaded or not.

It came up in Friday's court hearing and the AG's lawyer said there is an exemption for the public rights of way, i.e. the roads, so to be legal you would have to use a curbside luggage check. I'm not sure how that would work - would the TSA come out to your car to inspect the gun case and attach the label?

The big flaw in that is I don't see any exemption in the statutes for the luggage handler. They would be committing a felony by taking the luggage into the terminal.

The transport hub restriction is not currently enjoined.

A few years ago, the bag containing my pistol was sent to Charlotte rather than Philly.  Whilst it got to Philly the next day they couldn't deliver it because it contained a firearm.  I has to go to Philly to pick it up.

On 3/20/2023 at 7:45 PM, dman2112 said:

THey're special because thats who they vote for

1) they are a common carrier, and once in possession of the common carrier, handling is not generally considered a transfer. Doe the new law recognize that? No, but nobody is likely to do anything due to federal law and supremacy, especially since if it is hitting an airport it is going interstate. The transfer occurs outside of a transportation hub. 

2) Assuming the transportation hub thing is referring to transporting people, air freight has a separate terminal to the passenger terminals, so there'd probably be issues even with regard to the law as written being applicable at least now that we live in a post people's express world.