diamondd817

Current NICS Wait?

20 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Am I to understand that one can not walk out with a firearm from a NJ Dealer the same day, or are we talking about pending/delay statuses?

These are slowness with normal NICS checks. Not delayed or any other unusual circumstance.

I really do not mean for this to sound like gloating, just a comparison to how things are in Free America.  Here in Florida, one can be in and out of a gun store with a purchase or an FFL transfer (I have done both) in about 10 minutes.  FNJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

I really do not mean for this to sound like gloating, just a comparison to how things are in Free America.  Here in Florida, one can be in and out of a gun store with a purchase or an FFL transfer (I have done both) in about 10 minutes.  FNJ

Hopefully one day before I croaked things will change here.  In NewJerseystan they make all FFLs process through NJSP (you know so they can keep track of who has things - FNJ!)  

Theoretically if there is no backlog you could be cleared and take home same day.  You would also have to purchase early in the day to make that happen.  I bought a rifle last year and was told to hang out as they had approvals same day in the AM.  I wasn't so lucky but got it the next day.

7 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

How long has the multiple day delays been going on?

3 years.

I work at a gun shop.

Ever since the "great panic" started in early 2020, there have only been a few days since that approached same day approvals...like 6-8 hour approvals happened 2 or 3 times.

NICS gets caught up, and then they have a holiday or a weather closing and they get behind again. With Easter coming up soon... who knows.

We could always start a class action lawsuit against the state to fix the multi day delays in the "instant" system, and we'd probably win (eventually), but I'd feel bad about taking money away from things like free healthcare for illegal aliens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

We could always start a class action lawsuit against the state to fix the multi day delays in the "instant" system, and we'd probably win (eventually), but I'd feel bad about taking money away from things like free healthcare for illegal aliens.

NJ would just moot the case by returning NICS same day, and then go back to their old ways after the case was dismissed.

They can do timely NICS, they just choose not to staff it sufficiently.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

3 years.

I work at a gun shop.

Ever since the "great panic" started in early 2020, there have only been a few days since that approached same day approvals...like 6-8 hour approvals happened 2 or 3 times.

NICS gets caught up, and then they have a holiday or a weather closing and they get behind again. With Easter coming up soon... who knows.

Wow. I haven't bought anything since 2019, then it was about 15 min. I guess this is all part of shitbag NJ's "New Normal".

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

NJ would just moot the case by returning NICS same day, and then go back to their old ways after the case was dismissed.

Let them do it.  The more times they do it, the more evidence we have, all the the more case proving incontrovertible evidence demonstrating abuse of power to harass and obstruct enjoyment of a civil liberty and constitutional right. 

All it takes is a few people that know what they are doing to file a suit, and a bunch of donors to make it happen.  If we are to win this culture war, we have to start using some of their tactics.  

Since we don't have a Soros level sugar daddy, it will be up to the 2A community to fund a class action through several courts.  It could take years, but it would be settled once and for all.

10 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

How long has the multiple day delays been going on?

Like three years now. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

They can do timely NICS, they just choose not to staff it sufficiently.

Can't moot it if you attach monetary damages. Have you ever taken a day off to go pick up a gun during business hours and had NICS screw you? Sounds like monetary damages to me. 

1 hour ago, diamondd817 said:

So it's most likely intentional? A little backdoor 3-5 day waiting period?

Perhaps... but I also know that gun sales in NJ are 3x what they were before the "great panic".

At our shop, before the panic, on a busy Saturday our total NICS checks submitted were in the 30s.

Now, that is what we run on a slow Wednesday. On a busy Sat or Sun, we run 60-70 NICS checks. Our highest NICS submitted in 1 day was 168 during the peak of the panic.

Methinks the NICS unit has not added enough staff to deal with this new reality. Perhaps they are hesitant to invest in more people, fearing a slow down in gun sales. I do know several NICS managers have retired or moved on in the past couple years. I can only assume they have also lost staff.... a NICS worker bee probably does not make a lot of money.

Until the NICS unit adds enough staff (or pays enough OT) to meet the demand, I think taking your gun home the same day is never coming back.

Here in free America (New Hampshire) it really is instant.  Once you fill out the paperwork the FFL calls it in.  He stays on hold on the phone until he/she gets an answer.  It's only takes so long in NJ because "they" want it to.  Isn't the NICS fee supposed to cover the cost of the check?  Sounds like another profit center for the NJSP.

2 hours ago, mustang69 said:

Here in free America (New Hampshire) it really is instant.  Once you fill out the paperwork the FFL calls it in.  He stays on hold on the phone until he/she gets an answer.  It's only takes so long in NJ because "they" want it to.  Isn't the NICS fee supposed to cover the cost of the check?  Sounds like another profit center for the NJSP.

Texas is similar.
I bought a handgun before I got my LTC and one right after. 
A LTC holder does not have to do the NICS check…

The time difference between the two transactions was about 30 seconds…

As @mustang69pointed out, it takes longer in NJ because they want it to. 

Defacto waiting period..

• Agree 3

On 3/23/2023 at 7:12 AM, dajonga said:

Perhaps... but I also know that gun sales in NJ are 3x what they were before the "great panic".

At our shop, before the panic, on a busy Saturday our total NICS checks submitted were in the 30s.

Now, that is what we run on a slow Wednesday. On a busy Sat or Sun, we run 60-70 NICS checks. Our highest NICS submitted in 1 day was 168 during the peak of the panic.

Methinks the NICS unit has not added enough staff to deal with this new reality. Perhaps they are hesitant to invest in more people, fearing a slow down in gun sales. I do know several NICS managers have retired or moved on in the past couple years. I can only assume they have also lost staff.... a NICS worker bee probably does not make a lot of money.

Until the NICS unit adds enough staff (or pays enough OT) to meet the demand, I think taking your gun home the same day is never coming back.

So, is it running 4 to 5 days to come back?

Picked up a Lever very recently, Dajonga (David) was kind enough to relieve me of my cash, was pleasantly surprised when the NICS came back next day.

David, have you had a chance to try the razor blades? Hope she gave you the envelope…

13 hours ago, Redeye65 said:

Picked up a Lever very recently, Dajonga (David) was kind enough to relieve me of my cash, was pleasantly surprised when the NICS came back next day.

David, have you had a chance to try the razor blades? Hope she gave you the envelope…

I did get them and was meaning to call to say thank you!!!

When I am done with my current box of Wilkenson Swords, I will give them a go.