Old Glock guy

Lost tritium insert in front sight

I have Trijicon XD sights on my Springfield Armory 9 mm subcompact.  Yesterday, while I was shooting, I suddenly noticed that the orange insert in my front sight was gone.  Looked around a bit, but no luck in finding it.  I was going to buy a new front sight, but then I thought it might work if I get some glow in the dark acrylic paint, and put a drop of it on the front sight post.

Anyone ever had this happen to them?  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

31 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I have Trijicon XD sights on my Springfield Armory 9 mm subcompact.  Yesterday, while I was shooting, I suddenly noticed that the orange insert in my front sight was gone.  Looked around a bit, but no luck in finding it.  I was going to buy a new front sight, but then I thought it might work if I get some glow in the dark acrylic paint, and put a drop of it on the front sight post.

Anyone ever had this happen to them?  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

You sure it’s gone, and doesn’t just need a good cleaning?

14 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Yes. This is the correct answer.

Here's a better selection:

https://dawsonprecision.com/sights/springfield-armory-sights/springfield-armory-sight-sets/?_bc_fsnf=1&other=Black+Rear%2FOptic+Front

The key is to get the fiber front sight and the plain black rear. Don't be temped to get fiber in the rear sight too - it doesn't help.

Also, unless you have the proper tools - and beefy ones at that - save yourself some bother and have a gunsmith install them. Springfield use some crazy high pressure ram to install sights. Tight does not even start to describe it and getting the existing set out will not be easy.

Those Dawsons are only good in the day time.  Get the Hi Viz H3 which gives you day and night capabilities.  I just put a set on my shield 2.0 PC and they are 10 times better than just the Fiber.  I have some spare Fiber rods from the old sight if you want to try and stick one in there...  Let me know.  Oh..and I tried to get the tritium insert as a replacement but they tell me due to federal regulations the average joe cant buy them.

44 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

Those Dawsons are only good in the day time.  Get the Hi Viz H3 which gives you day and night capabilities.  I just put a set on my shield 2.0 PC and they are 10 times better than just the Fiber.  I have some spare Fiber rods from the old sight if you want to try and stick one in there...  Let me know.  Oh..and I tried to get the tritium insert as a replacement but they tell me due to federal regulations the average joe cant buy them.

They work great in the dark too. Tritium does absolutely nothing for you if you're using white light to identify your target. If you are not using light to identify your target, you don't need sights at all because you should not be pulling the trigger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

They work great in the dark too. Tritium does absolutely nothing for you if you're using white light to identify your target. If you are not using light to identify your target, you don't need sights at all because you should not be pulling the trigger. 

Preach!! Nights Sights suck!

Fiber Optic or all black and a WML are the way for any defensive gun.

Fiber Optics are the way for recreational/competition shooting guns.

There is really no place for tritium night sights anymore in this day and age.