Carolina Native

Do you carry a spare mag?

Just wondering if most are carrying a spare mag or not.?  I haven't yet, as it's been moore vabout figuring out the matching of clothes and holsters to stay concealed.

The summer is definitely going to be a bit more challenging as a newbie to keep concealed.  I'm a small framed guy and shirts just don't seem to drape loosely on me. Good thing is that even when I think someone should be able to see the printing, they just don't.  They aren't programmed to look for it, I guess.

If I’m carrying a gun, I always carry a handheld flashlight and a spare mag. I also use a Neomag and pocket carry (support side front) my mag while AIWB my pistol.

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

https://theneomag.com/shop-neomag/

Carrying mag with this in one of my small front pockets.

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

This is the way. 

T5BXJ1p.gif

3 hours ago, Carolina Native said:

Just wondering if most are carrying a spare mag or not.?  I haven't yet, as it's been moore vabout figuring out the matching of clothes and holsters to stay concealed.

The summer is definitely going to be a bit more challenging as a newbie to keep concealed.  I'm a small framed guy and shirts just don't seem to drape loosely on me. Good thing is that even when I think someone should be able to see the printing, they just don't.  They aren't programmed to look for it, I guess.

You should always carry at least one reload for whatever you're carrying.  Magazines in a belt pouch that covers the top of your mag worn on your weak side.  Revolver ammo in speedloader, dump pouch with speedstrip, or 2x2 pouch on your strong side.

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Carrying mag with this in one of my small front pockets.

I don't care for mag holders like these.  Nothing preventing crap from entering the magazine.  Limited protection for the lips of the magazine.

53 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I don't care for mag holders like these.  Nothing preventing crap from entering the magazine.  Limited protection for the lips of the magazine.

Griz, I have been carrying a Glock 19 or Glock 48 mag in a NeoMag every day, all day for well over 3 years now. I started with a standard single magnet model and moved to the G model - which has a double magnet - when they were released. The G model with the double magnets work much better on the polymer sheathed Glock OEM mags, but it is too strong for any metal mags (the clip comes out of the pocket with the mag). The original model was then transitioned to carry my metal bodied Shield G48 mags when I carry the 48 instead of the 19.

I have never had anything get in the mag, and I have never had any damage to the feed lips.

I even have the NeoMag RASC for revolvers which is a pocket clip that holds a speed strip - that one gets carried in my strong side front pocket.

I’m a believer.

zlmGv6b.jpg

RASC - G model w/deep clip - Std model

• Informative 1

41 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

If I’m carrying a gun, I always carry a handheld flashlight and a spare mag. I also use a Neomag and pocket carry (support side front) my mag while AIWB my pistol.

T5BXJ1p.gif

In related news, NJ Democrats are calling for 'common sense' restrictions on fictional protective gear, and vow swift action to ban Mandalorian armor...for the children.

• Haha 2

On 3/25/2023 at 5:53 PM, GRIZ said:

@High Exposure you know me well enough to know I'm a dinosaur in many respects.  Still using the Bianchi dump pouch  bought in 1974.  It worked for me all these years. Why fix it if it aint broke?

Not trying to change your methods Griz. Just giving info on what new gear they developed in the last 450 years.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Haven't had a single issue so far - I also don't put anything else in that specific pocket.  

IAWsbt1.jpg

21 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I'm a dinosaur in many respects.

Dinosaurs ruled the earth for 165 million years. You're in good company.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You guys must have expansive size and number of pockets.  If I could wear tactical pants that would work.  Pocket space is in short supply for me and they are tight.  I have enough trouble keeping my keys, change and pocket knife accessible with appendix carry.

II'll have to carry my extra mag on support side of my belt, just like in my tactical gun courses.    That's the only place that will work with my jeans or slacks.  You've inspired me to start with that  today.  Thanks.

On 3/25/2023 at 8:59 PM, ESB said:

I use these neoprone IWB mag carriers.  Pretty comfy.  4 for $15.  

https://amzn.to/40ksZBC

813IrWhvoDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also don't forget to wear a stay-tuck black stretchy undershirt.  

Just picked these up. Seem well made and comfortable to wear. I will be trying these and the neomag, which I already had.

Also, wondering if other folks have heard this. I learned (don't remember where) that if you are carrying a subcompact that should carry a full-size (and legal capacity for your AO) spare mag. Basically the reasoning is that for subcompact mags you need to flare out your palm a bit when inserting the mag and during fan/crap scenario you may well pinch the side of your hand trying to insert the spare mag. A longer mag does not have this problem. And in free states, it holds more food!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xtors said:

Just picked these up. Seem well made and comfortable to wear. I will be trying these and the neomag, which I already had.

Also, wondering if other folks have heard this. I learned (don't remember where) that if you are carrying a subcompact that should carry a full-size (and legal capacity for your AO) spare mag. Basically the reasoning is that for subcompact mags you need to flare out your palm a bit when inserting the mag and during fan/crap scenario you may well pinch the side of your hand trying to insert the spare mag. A longer mag does not have this problem. And in free states, it holds more food!

When I waa still on the job I carried a G17 magazine as a reload for my G26. 70% more ammo for just a bit more length which didn't interfere with concealability.

I figured if I didn't settle the problem with 11 rds I could use as much ammo in my pistol as possible.  Never has a problem using G19,G17, or even the 30+ rd G18 magazine with or without the sleeve.

I would guess that you can do what you want with the spare mag but if you go through the trouble of carrying concealed, why would you want your mags out in the open to make it obvious you are carrying?  I just put my extra mag in my front pocket.

Personally, I don't want anyone to know I am carrying a gun!

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I would guess that you can do what you want with the spare mag but if you go through the trouble of carrying concealed, why would you want your mags out in the open to make it obvious you are carrying?  I just put my extra mag in my front pocket.

Personally, I don't want anyone to know I am carrying a gun!

60fOZaz.gif

On 3/31/2023 at 4:49 PM, Xtors said:

I have those as well.

They work perfectly.

I’m about to buy a couple Neo mags.

My question is do you guys use the regular or extended clip? They say the extended will give you better concealment since it seats deeper in your pants pocket but is it more clumsy to access with this feature ?

8 hours ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

I’m about to buy a couple Neo mags.

My question is do you guys use the regular or extended clip? They say the extended will give you better concealment since it seats deeper in your pants pocket but is it more clumsy to access with this feature ?

I have one extended and one normal. You can see the difference in my post above:

On 3/25/2023 at 2:08 PM, High Exposure said:

zlmGv6b.jpg

I generally use the extended clip with mags that have extensions (just so they don’t protrude out of my pocket too much) and the standard clip for mags that have standard floor plates. This keeps the mags just under the lip/edge of my pants pocket. However, even a standard floor plate works fine as it is easy to grab for a reload, even with the extended pocket clip.

• Like 2