Carolina Native

Do you carry a spare mag?

15 hours ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

I’m about to buy a couple Neo mags.

My question is do you guys use the regular or extended clip? They say the extended will give you better concealment since it seats deeper in your pants pocket but is it more clumsy to access with this feature ?

I use the regular 

On 3/25/2023 at 1:44 PM, GRIZ said:

You should always carry at least one reload for whatever you're carrying.  Magazines in a belt pouch that covers the top of your mag worn on your weak side.  Revolver ammo in speedloader, dump pouch with speedstrip, or 2x2 pouch on your strong side.

I don't care for mag holders like these.  Nothing preventing crap from entering the magazine.  Limited protection for the lips of the magazine.

I said this 6 months ago. 

As firearms instructor for a couple of hundred agents I used to say you need to carry one reload for whatever you're carrying.  If you can't solve the problem with what you're carrying in the gun, use the reload to get yourself out of the situation. Be it 5, 7. 10, or 15 rds.

You've decided to carry a gun legally?  Figuring out how to carry a reload is a minor issue.

We don't have to conquer a situation. We have to survive it.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

I always keep a spare mag in a dedicated pocket, with nothing else in it.  While it would be kind of slow to access, the chances of having to do a John Wick emergency reload are mostly nonexistent.

It’s not necessarily about the reload (although with the NJ mag limit of 10 rounds or less, that should be taken into consideration).

A large number of malfunctions can be traced to bad mags. Sometimes you need a different mag to keep the gun in the fight.

• Agree 1

On 3/31/2023 at 5:56 PM, GRIZ said:

When I waa still on the job I carried a G17 magazine as a reload for my G26. 70% more ammo for just a bit more length which didn't interfere with concealability.

I figured if I didn't settle the problem with 11 rds I could use as much ammo in my pistol as possible.  Never has a problem using G19,G17, or even the 30+ rd G18 magazine with or without the sleeve.

I don’t anyone ever involved in a gun fight ever said “ I wish I had less ammo!”

Ed Mirales from, 1986 Miami, always says he wish he had more.