Ed471

Question about selling/shipping gun

Can someone please explain the process of shipping a gun to FFL for a sale? I know I can ship a gun to a FFL but how do I get a receipt of the sale? I know when it’s done at FFL here I hand them the gun they write down serial number and gun info and give me a copy but how does that work when shipping? Thanks

3 hours ago, Ed471 said:

Can someone please explain the process of shipping a gun to FFL for a sale? I know I can ship a gun to a FFL but how do I get a receipt of the sale? I know when it’s done at FFL here I hand them the gun they write down serial number and gun info and give me a copy but how does that work when shipping? Thanks

You just have to save the shipping info and any correspondence you have with the receiving dealer.

BTW, you can only ship a long gun using USPS. FedEx and UPS have stopped shipping for non-licensees. 

IMO, your best option is to use a dealer to ship any firearm. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, PK90 said:

You just have to save the shipping info and any correspondence you have with the receiving dealer.

BTW, you can only ship a long gun using USPS. FedEx and UPS have stopped shipping for non-licensees. 

IMO, your best option is to use a dealer to ship any firearm. 

Oh ok, so I can’t even ship a handgun at all?

18 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

As Paul had stated earlier - you can ship a rifle or shotgun through USPS as a regular citizen. 

Only an FFL can ship a HG through the postal system.....

Hey Jack, what's the approximate total cost to ship a handgun through you for an out of State sale?

On 3/27/2023 at 12:50 AM, PK90 said:

Definitely against Federal Law to do so using USPS, and against FedEx and UPS policy.

So, now you can't even ship a pistol to the manufacturer for warranty work without going through an FFL? So then what, the FFL tells you need to get a pistol permit to get your pistol back?

1 hour ago, diamondd817 said:

So, now you can't even ship a pistol to the manufacturer for warranty work without going through an FFL? So then what, the FFL tells you need to get a pistol permit to get your pistol back?

Repair or replacement of a firearm to the original owner requires neither a 4473 or a NICS check. Of course, NJ will require a new Permit if the serial number is different.

3 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Hey Jack, what's the approximate total cost to ship a handgun through you for an out of State sale?

Most Hand Guns usually go out in a Large Flat Rate Box which is $23.00 + $50.00 Transfer fee + insurance

Smaller guns can go in a medium box, but it all depends on the gun, case, accessories, ect

I cannot quote insurance unless i have a value placed on the shipment by the owner  /seller / ect.

2 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Some Mfgs. will send a shipping label on warranty repairs and you can just drop it off at the nearest depot. But again, as Paul Stated earlier - if the MFG. elects to not fix the gun, and replaces it - it has to go through a dealer for the transfer...........

1 hour ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Most Hand Guns usually go out in a Large Flat Rate Box which is $23.00 + $50.00 Transfer fee + insurance

Smaller guns can go in a medium box, but it all depends on the gun, case, accessories, ect

I cannot quote insurance unless i have a value placed on the shipment by the owner  /seller / ect.

Some Mfgs. will send a shipping label on warranty repairs and you can just drop it off at the nearest depot. But again, as Paul Stated earlier - if the MFG. elects to not fix the gun, and replaces it - it has to go through a dealer for the transfer...........

Copy and Copy. Thanks.

I'll let you know if I need to ship out of State.

• Thanks 1