Sabeast

Amending Permit Not To Show Specific Gun To Carry

Mine has no restrictions checked and is blank . However the judge did give me that separate letter to carry with my license which I currently do . That has the 2 guns and serial numbers listed . Would love to carry some of my others but there’s to many people saying yeah you can and no you can’t to make any sense of it . From what I have been reading different counties / PD’s are saying different things. Just trying to keep us all guessing until they jam someone up is my guess . 

If you’re a pre-December, judge-issued permit you have to ask the judge to add guns and/or reissue without restriction. Seems that some will, some won’t.

If they decline you’d have to start over with a new application (and of course all the fees and paperwork therein) to be issued by your local chief 

2 hours ago, Vdep217 said:

Wich restriction box is checked on your permit?  Mine has none checked but I have qualified firearms listed.  The officer handling at my local pd said I'm good to carry any gun I own

2 hours ago, Bzerk said:

Mine has no restrictions checked and is blank . However the judge did give me that separate letter to carry with my license which I currently do . That has the 2 guns and serial numbers listed . Would love to carry some of my others but there’s to many people saying yeah you can and no you can’t to make any sense of it . From what I have been reading different counties / PD’s are saying different things. Just trying to keep us all guessing until they jam someone up is my guess . 

I don't think "they" are trying to jam someone up.  Some people are informed and others aren't.

I'm not sure which is correct.

A prior court order stands.  If you applied early in Morris County you have to live with order, you can add other guns but I assume you would have to qualify with them and submit documents and it will be added to order.  Only way around it is to go through the process again and pay new fees to get police dept issued permit.  Or just wait out the two years and see where we are then. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Y

21 hours ago, Sabeast said:

Can anyone assist me on what I need to do to update my CCW so it doesn’t list a specific gun? 

Ok If your court order says you can only carry whats on the order.  You would have to file a motion with the courts.  Then have the judge agree.  Then qualify with the new ones.  Then hand that in. And wait for the judge to amend the court order. Thats what i have to do.  Or surrender your current ptc then do the whole process over again.  It sucks

17 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Piscataway pd told me I just had to come in and they'll amend it for me. I'd call your local pd and see what they say. 

Be careful, technically only the court can change a court order.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

What the hell is the difference what gun you carry? Really. They are all lethal and justified use of deadly force is justified.

It's New Jersey.

The political class likes to impose as many barriers as possible on the citizenry.

20 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

What the hell is the difference what gun you carry? Really. They are all lethal and justified use of deadly force is justified.

2 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

It's New Jersey.

The political class likes to impose as many barriers as possible on the citizenry.

Whilst I agree with you in theory. every LE agency I know of requires their officers to qualify with any firearm they carry on or off duty.  Some mandate only issued firearms be carried both on and off duty.  If you're issued a G19 you can't carry your own G19 even if it's the same spec.

There are some agencies requiring officers carrying off duty to carry all or a combination of pepper spray, cuffs, and/or retractable baton in addition to the firearm.

4 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Whilst I agree with you in theory. every LE agency I know of requires their officers to qualify with any firearm they carry on or off duty.  Some mandate only issued firearms be carried both on and off duty.  If you're issued a G19 you can't carry your own G19 even if it's the same spec.

There are some agencies requiring officers carrying off duty to carry all or a combination of pepper spray, cuffs, and/or retractable baton in addition to the firearm.

Oh, I know it's done, I just think it's absurd :)

It's just a way for the nanny state to continue to micro-manage the population at every possible turn.

It's asinine to require individual firearms certification for ANYONE in my opinion (but that's a topic that goes on for MANY pages back and forth).

33 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Exercising your2a right has nothing to do with someone who takes an oath of duty and should not be held to the same standards.  Wich it is not ie we only qualify once a permit not twice a year etc

10 minutes ago, Vdep217 said:

Exercising your2a right has nothing to do with someone who takes an oath of duty and should not be held to the same standards.  Wich it is not ie we only qualify once a permit not twice a year etc

So you're saying cops are held to a higher standard?

However, Democrats - pointing to mass shootings in Florida like the massacre at the 2016 Pulse nightclub in Orlando and the deadly 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland - say the new law will only make the state more dangerous.

... As if those that would commit mass shootings are only being held at bay because they don't want to break the permit to carry law.  :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

I wouldn't say a higher standard, perhaps a different standard brought on by law suits and bureaucracy.  If an off duty cop shoots someone with a personal gun, that leaves openings for defense lawyers to nit pick.

53 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I wouldn't say a higher standard, perhaps a different standard brought on by law suits and bureaucracy.  If an off duty cop shoots someone with a personal gun, that leaves openings for defense lawyers to nit pick.

The same logic could apply to people with carry permits.

The fact is if the prosecutor is looking at what gun or ammo you used you're already in trouble.  LEO or civilian.

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

No cops are held to the standards that they agreed to when hired.

I will say that alot of officers don't shoot that great my sister is a cop n I can out shoot her n midt of her Leo friends.  Why most police only shoot when they have to.  It's a passion and a hobby of mine I shoot 4 to 5 times a month

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

The same logic could apply to people with carry permits.

Except citizens are not using any firearm they own in an official government capacity.  It's not a citizen's responsibility to carry a firearm as part of a public service on behalf of a government agency. 

It should be assumed that one has the right to defend themselves from violence, using any unqualified means necessary and available.  It's not like a person forfeits their right to self defense because they don't have a government issued permission slip.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Tell me how many other States require citizens to only carry what they qualified with? I don't think there is any. And don't say NY & CA because they're not American States and don't count.

1 hour ago, Vdep217 said:

I will say that alot of officers don't shoot that great my sister is a cop n I can out shoot her n midt of her Leo friends.  Why most police only shoot when they have to.  It's a passion and a hobby of mine I shoot 4 to 5 times a month

That first sentence is a pretty broad brush condemnation.  Care to elaborate?

So you can outshoot your sister and most of her LEO friends.  What about the rest of her LEO friends? I've been a police firearms instructor since 1976.  You know what? You're correct. Most only shoot when they have to. 99% of them are still able to qualify on the first go around.  How often they have to depends on the agency.  How much the bean counters want to spend.  How much for ammo, how much the agency wants to spend for training

Good that you shoot 4-5 times a month.  Does that make you less passionate than the people who shoot 8-10x a month?  The number of rounds you shoot means nothing. What you do with them does.

Numerous forum members have posted about the difficulty they had qualifying for their carry permit.

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Except citizens are not using any firearm they own in an official government capacity.  It's not a citizen's responsibility to carry a firearm as part of a public service on behalf of a government agency. 

It should be assumed that one has the right to defend themselves from violence, using any unqualified means necessary and available.  It's not like a person forfeits their right to self defense because they don't have a government issued permission slip.

Hey, you know me well enough to know I'm not a fan of government requirements.  I am a fan of training.

1 hour ago, Vdep217 said:

Shooting on a square range is very different than shooting in combat.

How many gunfights have you been in?

Some of the most stellar police gunfights were successful by cops who barely qualified.

1 hour ago, diamondd817 said:

Tell me how many other States require citizens to only carry what they qualified with? I don't think there is any. And don't say NY & CA because they're not American States and don't count.

I guess you didn't read my first sentence.

I'm not a fan of government requirements.  I am a fan of training.  Others on this forum can attest to that.

Other states than NY, NJ. and CA have qual and/or training requirements.  One state has a requirement you can't carry a caliber larger than you qualified with. If you're interested in other states carry permit requirements I suggest you research them.

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

Hey, you know me well enough to know I'm not a fan of government requirements.  I am a fan of training.

I am a big fan of training as well, every CCW carrier should train, it is in their own best interest all around.  The more an individual trains the better they can protect what needs to be protected.  Though, if a citizen has a good SD shoot they should not have to prove anything other than their life or safety was in danger.  None of this, it was a good shoot, but... bullshit.

Nobody wants a mall ninja equivalent of Barney Fife roaming the streets.  They could be as much of a menace as the criminals at large.  If some yahoo who binge watches Death Wish goes out and causes mayhem because of lack of training, they should fully understand that they will be held accountable.

The issue I have with NJ's process is it's exorbitant fees and application of government standards for citizens.   Not gonna lie about the ranges cashing in either.  They act like they are on our side but when the qualification requirements came out  they all blew huge loads in their tighty whities with dollar signs for eyes.  The NRA has an opportunity to step up here and provide reasonably priced quals.

• Agree 2

52 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I am a big fan of training as well, every CCW carrier should train, it is in their own best interest all around.  The more an individual trains the better they can protect what needs to be protected.  Though, if a citizen has a good SD shoot they should not have to prove anything other than their life or safety was in danger.  None of this, it was a good shoot, but... bullshit.

Nobody wants a mall ninja equivalent of Barney Fife roaming the streets.  They could be as much of a menace as the criminals at large.  If some yahoo who binge watches Death Wish goes out and causes mayhem because of lack of training, they should fully understand that they will be held accountable.

The issue I have with NJ's process is it's exorbitant fees and application of government standards for citizens.   Not gonna lie about the ranges cashing in either.  They act like they are on our side but when the qualification requirements came out  they all blew huge loads in their tighty whities with dollar signs for eyes.  The NRA has an opportunity to step up here and provide reasonably priced quals.

Qualls I did was 90.  The 200 plus you are seeing is use of force basic pistol and qual.  If someone has never carried and never been through use of force its a good thing to take 

Morris County,  I received my permit and court order the beginning of February...I was just going through some papers they gave me at the time...instructions for adding  additional firearms: 

just write to the court, send them proof of ownership, i.e P2P documents from sale, no need to qualify with the gun and they will amend the court order.  

• Like 2