Sabeast

Would Shoulder Holster With Suit Jacket Be Considered Concealed?

Conceal Carry Holster With Suit?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Conceal Carry Holster With Suit?

• Shoulder
    • Ankle

3 hours ago, Sabeast said:

Wouldn’t the grip of gun show with a IWB and a tucked in shirt? 

The jacket would cover it.

If you’re talking about taking the jacket off, wouldn't the shoulder rig show as well?

IMO, shoulder rigs are the 2nd worst holster option, beaten only by Small of the Back carry for the absolute worst option.

Waist (AIWB,IWB), waist (OWB), pocket, ankle - in that order - is the way.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Phlster Enigma is another option for "deep concealment" without visible belt clips, but you have to invest time in adjusting and setting it up, and it's a bit "involved" in putting on/taking off:

https://inv.riverside.rocks/watch?v=QxG3aW2cS88

(youtube video filtered through invidious proxy - watching a youtube video through invidious gets rid of ads and youtube/google tracking)

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

The jacket would cover it.

If you’re talking about taking the jacket off, wouldn't the shoulder rig show as well?

IMO, shoulder rigs are the 2nd worst holster option, beaten only by Small of the Back carry for the absolute worst option.

Waist (IWB), waist (OWB), pocket, ankle - in that order - is the way.

yes i mean if i were to take jacket off.......Jacket off, shirt tucked in, tie on.

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

Phlster Enigma is another option for "deep concealment" without visible belt clips, but you have to invest time in adjusting and setting it up, and it's a bit "involved" in putting on/taking off:

https://inv.riverside.rocks/watch?v=QxG3aW2cS88

(youtube video filtered through invidious proxy - watching a youtube video through invidious gets rid of ads and youtube/google tracking)

Nice!!! Thanks, hadn't seen this this option and was just going to go with the shoulder holster set-up like the OP.

i've tried a couple of different shoulder holsters....and didn't like any of them. it sounds like you're going to be keeping the suit jacket on, so i'd imagine you could go with either a "concealable" owb holster, or a iwb holster. the suit jacket would cover either, and probably better than it would a shoulder holster.

just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i've tried a couple of different shoulder holsters....and didn't like any of them. it sounds like you're going to be keeping the suit jacket on, so i'd imagine you could go with either a "concealable" owb holster, or a iwb holster. the suit jacket would cover either, and probably better than it would a shoulder holster.

just my opinion.

Look above.  Tuckable iwb don't need jscket

27 minutes ago, Sabeast said:

I would most likely remove the jacket throughout the night. 

So your question isn't really about concealed carry with a suit jacket, it's concealed carry with a tucked dress shirt.

Others have mentioned inside waistband (IWB) 'tuck' holsters.  Lots of manufacturers have them.

There's also the Urban Carry brand holsters that are totally hidden -

• FacePalm 1

44 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

So your question isn't really about concealed carry with a suit jacket, it's concealed carry with a tucked dress shirt.

Others have mentioned inside waistband (IWB) 'tuck' holsters.  Lots of manufacturers have them.

There's also the Urban Carry brand holsters that are totally hidden -

Despite the manufacturer's protestations, they have yet to show how to use it when seated.

The only "demos" I have seen requires the wearer to lean back so far as to effectively be straight, but leaned over backwards instead of standing up straight.

I've carried with a 5.11 undershirt. It has built in padded pockets under each arm. Got my permit in late September so haven't tried in summer yet. In cool weather it's great. I carry a smaller single stack 45acp on one side and a spare mag on the other. Getting it out in a self defense event you may sacrifice a button but the draw is easy. The pistol is in the same general spot as a shoulder holster which I also use when I know I won't be taking the coat off.

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

No one should ever carry small of back.

I've heard a few reasons, what's your take?

7 minutes ago, Moutinas said:

I've heard a few reasons, what's your take?

• No weapon retention
• Significant injury risk if you fall backwards (many fights that don’t require firearms end with someone on the ground on their back)
• You will sweep vital portions of the body on the drawstroke
• You can’t draw while seated
• You can’t tell if you are printing

SoB carry is glamorized Hollywood bullshit. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Sabeast said:

I wear fitted clothes so baggy loose shirt wont do. Thats my issue. 

Several reasons come to mind.   One muzzle discipline you will almost always sweep muzzle across part of your body or others.  2 trying to draw from a compromised position such as on your back with an attacker on you.  3 the position of sob has the potential to injur you in the event of falling on your back as it would be pushing into c3 vertebrae 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Sabeast said:

I would most likely remove the jacket throughout the night. 

if the jacket's coming off, shoulder holster isn't gonna cut it. unless you want everyone to see that you've got a shoulder holster. use tuckable iwb holster apendix

If I’m in a suit where the jacket is coming off - it’s a Kahr PM9 on my ankle and/or a Jframe in my pocket. Otherwise, it is an OWB on my hip at 3:00-4:00 and the jacket doesn’t come off.

I hate tuckable holsters. They never work right for me, they create hot-spots where the bunched up shirt rubs you, and they quickly go from looking normal and neat to looking like your trying to hide a bag-of-wrenches.

16 hours ago, Sabeast said:

I wear fitted clothes so baggy loose shirt wont do. Thats my issue. 

Carrying a gun is a commitment to personal safety. If you want to do it correctly, you need to dress around the gun. Sometimes you have to wear the jacket, even when you don’t want to. Sometimes you are stuck being overdressed for the weather and you’ll be hot/sweaty when everyone else is comfy.

Carrying a CCW is meant to be comforting, but it’s not always comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Carrying a gun is a commitment to personal safety. If you want to do it correctly, you need to dress around the gun. Sometimes you have to wear the jacket, even when you don’t want to. Sometimes you are stuck being overdressed for the weather and you’ll be hot/sweaty when everyone else is comfy.

Carrying a CCW is meant to be comforting, but it’s not always comfortable.

Ypu can do both.  I can wear a tee-shirt and dress shorts and carry my full size 1911 with a we the people with claw and you would never know I have it on.  I think people over think it