Sabeast

Would Shoulder Holster With Suit Jacket Be Considered Concealed?

Conceal Carry Holster With Suit?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Conceal Carry Holster With Suit?

• Shoulder
    • Ankle

Waist (AIWB,IWB), waist (OWB), pocket, ankle - in that order - is the way.

@Sabeast this is the proper hierarchy of holsters for concealsbility.  However, I generally go for an OWB if I can get away with it.

Wearing a shoulder holster with a PPK (a gun I've carried a lot)  gives you a lot of extra harness to carry a smaller gun unless you want to be like James Bond.

If your clothes fit you well you can't carry much of a gun in a shoulder holster unless your tailor allows for it.

Shoulder holsters are better for:

1.  You want to carry a full size gun.  I'm talking something like a 6 1/2" Model 29 like Dirty Harry.  This would include for hunting. 

2.  Wearing where you'll be sitting like in a car. Ankle holster is also good for this.

3.  Wearing when you have to be able to crawl through tight spaces and want to be able to reach your gun easily if it gets hung up on something.  We're talking armored vehicle crewman or military aircrew.

There are safety issues with shoulder holster regarding the area you sweep when you draw.  That's why every LE agency I know of, including NYPD, don't allow shoulder holsters for training or qualification.

SOB I'd never consider.  Not SOB but I know of a guy that damaged his kidney wearing a OWB at 4 o'clock when he slipped on the ice.

2 minutes ago, Vdep217 said:

Ypu can do both.  I can wear a tee-shirt and dress shorts and carry my full size 1911 with a we the people with claw and you would never know I have it on.  I think people over think it

I've done the same thing.

10 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

@Sabeast this is the proper hierarchy of holsters for concealsbility.  However, I generally go for an OWB if I can get away with it.

Wearing a shoulder holster with a PPK (a gun I've carried a lot)  gives you a lot of extra harness to carry a smaller gun unless you want to be like James Bond.

If your clothes fit you well you can't carry much of a gun in a shoulder holster unless your tailor allows for it.

Shoulder holsters are better for:

1.  You want to carry a full size gun.  I'm talking something like a 6 1/2" Model 29 like Dirty Harry.  This would include for hunting. 

2.  Wearing where you'll be sitting like in a car. Ankle holster is also good for this.

3.  Wearing when you have to be able to crawl through tight spaces and want to be able to reach your gun easily if it gets hung up on something.  We're talking armored vehicle crewman or military aircrew.

There are safety issues with shoulder holster regarding the area you sweep when you draw.  That's why every LE agency I know of, including NYPD, don't allow shoulder holsters for training or qualification.

SOB I'd never consider.  Not SOB but I know of a guy that damaged his kidney wearing a OWB at 4 o'clock when he slipped on the ice.

I've done the same thing.

It takes some experimenting to find a holster you like with a certain gun.  I have an alien gear cloak tuck for the 1911 hate it but like the cloak for my m&p.  My ruger lc 380 I have a crossbreed super tuck and love it I don't like appendix carry and usually carry between 330 and 5 o clock depending on gun.  The only thing I carry close to appendix is my taurus ultra light

7 minutes ago, Vdep217 said:

Ypu can do both.  I can wear a tee-shirt and dress shorts and carry my full size 1911 with a we the people with claw and you would never know I have it on.  I think people over think it

Absolutely. I routinely hide a full-size 1911 or a Glock 34 with light and optic in shorts and a t shirt with no problem.

Bad guys hide big guns all the time.

But my point was, you have to dress for it.

I can’t use just any t-shirt or any shorts or any belt or any holster. It has to be clothes I bought specifically to dress around the gun I carry in the style I intend.

And sometimes, I end up a little uncomfortable because I can’t take off a cover garment or I’m wearing an AIWB rig and sitting longer than usual - but that’s worth it, to me, for the personal security I am then afforded.

3 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Absolutely. I routinely hide a full-size 1911 or a Glock 34 with light and optic in shorts and a t shirt with no problem.

Bad guys hide big guns all the time.

But my point was, you have to dress for it.

I can’t use just any t-shirt or any shorts or any belt or any holster. It has to be clothes I bought specifically to dress around the gun I carry in the style I intend.

And sometimes, I end up a little uncomfortable because I can’t take off a cover garment or I’m wearing an AIWB rig and sitting longer than usual - but that’s worth it, to me, for the personal security I am then afforded.

I use a good belt and normal tee