Mrs. Peel

Concealed Carry for Women... and the Sad Dearth of Good Options

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Avoid that bra holster thing. It’s worse than a shoulder-rig when it comes to deployment and flagging yourself.

I believe a woman accidentally shot and killed herself with one of those holsters a couple of years back.

That's trough no fault of the holster.  What ever one decides how they want to carry they need to be proficient and knowledgeable of the holster they decide to use.  Look at those that have negligent discharges with iwb its because clothes jammed up in trigger guard.

45 minutes ago, Vdep217 said:

That's trough no fault of the holster.  What ever one decides how they want to carry they need to be proficient and knowledgeable of the holster they decide to use.  Look at those that have negligent discharges with iwb its because clothes jammed up in trigger guard.

Show me an IWB/OWB holster that facilitates pointing your muzzle at your own chest during the drawstroke. I’ll wait…..

It’s an inherent flaw in that type of holster. 

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Vdep217 said:

not to hijack.....but this is why i have no problem with serpas

7 hours ago, Downtownv said:

Three Good options: I have a tactica and it is something you can forget your even wearing it. Sitting standing bending over the gun stays put and never pokes you. I also have a fobus, and a desantis OWB and a J Bullard IWB. None of them are perfect in all positions sitting/standing etc.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpeg.5f46e405e11a820de92a085c78910fcd.jpegwm_7254630.jpeg.95581a6c095734e4693a2d590b9af966.jpeg901e471a8555fb858be6597a600bd00f.jpeg.8626c239e98b666e95ea53288e651a8c.jpeg

Are there ankle-type holsters that fasten above the calf right below the knee, or around the knee for stability?

2 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

Are there ankle-type holsters that fasten above the calf right below the knee, or around the knee for stability?

Not that I've seen thus far... interesting idea though... like the thigh one, just worn a little lower. If it's not out there, someone will probably come up with it soon enough. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Not that I've seen thus far... interesting idea though... like the thigh one, just worn a little lower. If it's not out there, someone will probably come up with it soon enough. 

Yeah...even pocket carry is difficult with many, if not most of women's clothing.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

I see that She Equips Herself has been mentioned a few times on this thread.  I should note that she takes questions from her viewers.  Perhaps you could contact her to see if she has any more to offer on your situation?

That's not a bad suggestion, and I may do that. But from watching so many of her videos... I feel like I already know what her answer will be... because she herself admits to owning MULTIPLE methods of carry. So, she has - by her very habits - tossed the advice to dress for the gun - and instead, she makes the carry method conform to her outfit any given day. And, to her credit, it sounds like she puts in a ton of practice with each of those methods so that she's competent - I think that's probably key to any of this. It's just that I can see where that would start to "add up" expense-wise. It's costly enough to get a belt/holster - but add a carry purse - and maybe a carry garment for other outfits - cha-CHING! cha-CHING! cha-CHING! :facepalm:

Oh, well... it is what it is... like I said upthread, I'll probably have to start with a belt/holster AND a couple new pairs of jeans or pants AND ALSO a cross-carry bag, too (for when I'm wearing my dresses, since that's MY most prevalent mode of dressing). I mean, no one ever said shooting was cheap! ;)

That sounds right. And I’ll tell you this - anyone who has been carrying for a while has done the same.

I have a couple of good size Rubbermaid totes full of belt holsters (IWB, OWB, AIWB, with lights, without light, thigh rigs, belt rigs, retention holsters, minimalist holsters that only cover the trigger, or the trigger and a WML) that I never use.

Then I have holsters for my ankle or my pockets, holsters that fit in sling-bags/backpacks and waist packs.

I didn’t buy them all at once. It takes time.

You need to find a place to start. Then you will start seeing holes in your system, and start looking for solutions. You will develop a preference for style and type and in a few years, you will have boxes of holsters you don’t use as well as you try new things and find you like them better overall, or maybe you just prefer it in a particular niche role.

• Informative 1

Mrs. Peel, I agree that you would need to do a lot of practicing with your chosen method or methods of carry, but very little of it would need to be live fire.  You could do most of your trials and practice at home with a safe, unloaded gun, and then just put in some limited range time to confirm that what you are doing works for you. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Vdep217 said:

With the new law as it's written carrying in a purse may be a grey area.  As the law says must carry in a holster on your person.  But a cross shoulder purse is technically your person but could be taken rather easily

You know, I had noticed that already... and that was yet another reason why either a waist- or cross-carry purse is the only thing I would consider. That said, you make an excellent point... the holster isn't the issue in a carry purse (as those purses typically have an actual holster that you attach to the inside of the bag)... but "on your person" could be, I suppose, open to interpretation. What "I" think it means... might not be what a prosecutor, judge or jury thinks it means. Hmmmm...! 

I'm guessing our various 2A attorneys are too absorbed with the other egregious aspects of the carry law they're fighting right now, but certainly, I hope they do push at some point to get a reasonably broad concession by the state on what that definition means...so that women aren't disadvantaged... and that they get it "on the record". I'm hoping for a lot, I realize! It's more likely to be tested during a DGU case.

I've stayed out of this.  However @Mrs. Peel off body carry may be for you.  I would suggest getting one of those small purses (big enough to hold your gun)  worn diagonally across your body in addition to your normal purse.

Back in the early 80s when I worked in Key West I worked on a boat a lot.  I took to carrying my badge, ID, and gun (apologies to those that may be offended) in a fag bag.

My normal attire there would be shorts and a tshirt.  You should have saw me arresting two guys for a klio of Coke deal on Duval St.

I remember going to interview a woman  who estranged husband was looking  to buy explosives to sink a load boat.  Shorts, tshirt, and fag bag.  When we sat down to talk  she asked to see my.Id again.  I told.her only.the fbi shows up in suits and ties

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2023 at 1:53 PM, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

Please pardon my tongue-in-cheek response, but I can't help myself:

Perhaps you could review old episodes of the Avengers to see how your namesake pulled it off so gracefully.

Right. And that skin-tight leather doesn't leave much wiggle room!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I would suggest getting one of those small purses (big enough to hold your gun)  worn diagonally across your body in addition to your normal purse.

You're not inferring carrying BOTH are you? I don't think you are... but in case you did mean that, FYI concealed carry purses today all seem have to have a similar construction in that they have 2 completely separate compartments accessed by external quick-pull zippers. One compartment is typically lined with velcro and then you add velcro to your holster of choice so you can attach the holster right inside the purse. So you're drawing from a holster but it's inside the purse. (Nothing but the gun and holster go in that side - because you don't want loose change or your lipstick tube rolling around with your gun,, for instance). That still leaves you with a separate, completely isolated, zipped section of the bag that then becomes your de facto "normal" purse (where you'd stash your wallet, make-up, sundries). Maybe you knew that... and if so, forgive the lesson. I'm just learning all this myself... and thought it also might be new to you... (despite your apparent former bag-carrying glory). ;)

• Like 1

Hello Mrs. Peel I have spoken to my better half Cindy and she would be happy to discuss the unique carry issues that women face. If you would like shoot me a PM and I'll give you her number.

• Thanks 1

Mrs. Peel,

Have you considered alterations to your dresses? In other words, adding an accessible slit in the side of the dress to allow you to carry in a belly band (as only one example). The slit would obviously have to be well thought out and you would have to have matching fabric to make it work, and it could be velcroed shut so that it's not obvious...

Once you open up to alterations, I think there may be more options available to you. If you got with a good tailor/seamstress/dressmaker, I am certain if you find an open minded individual who understands your conundrum they could design and deploy a custom solution for you.

• Informative 2

13 hours ago, djg0770 said:

Have you considered alterations to your dresses? In other words, adding an accessible slit in the side

NOW we're getting creative... and hey, anyone I date might appreciate that design as well... value add! :rofl:

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, djg0770 said:

Mrs. Peel,

Have you considered alterations to your dresses? In other words, adding an accessible slit in the side of the dress to allow you to carry in a belly band (as only one example). The slit would obviously have to be well thought out and you would have to have matching fabric to make it work, and it could be velcroed shut so that it's not obvious...

Once you open up to alterations, I think there may be more options available to you. If you got with a good tailor/seamstress/dressmaker, I am certain if you find an open minded individual who understands your conundrum they could design and deploy a custom solution for you.

THAT is probably the best idea i've seen in this thread so far.

9 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

NOW we're getting creative... and hey, anyone I date might appreciate that design as well... value add! :rofl:

While that was NOT my intent... Oh hell, maybe subconsciously it was!

A GOOD tailor (not like the guy with the dog pictured above) might even be able to integrate a holster into the dress. Hell, while you are at it, add pockets  ;)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I agree with the alteration idea.  A little creative tailoring, and some velcro or magnetic closures, would allow quick access to a concealed weapon...or whatever.

clothes-off-rip.gif.9a446cb75fd93b602afeeeb12ab36a57.gif

• Haha 2

On 4/8/2023 at 2:23 PM, Downtownv said:

Three Good options: I have a tactica and it is something you can forget your even wearing it. Sitting standing bending over the gun stays put and never pokes you. I also have a fobus, and a desantis OWB and a J Bullard IWB. None of them are perfect in all positions sitting/standing etc.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpeg.5f46e405e11a820de92a085c78910fcd.jpegwm_7254630.jpeg.95581a6c095734e4693a2d590b9af966.jpeg901e471a8555fb858be6597a600bd00f.jpeg.8626c239e98b666e95ea53288e651a8c.jpeg

just revisiting this thread......this last one looks like a better design for a shoulder holster for dudes or dudettes......