Mrs. Peel

Concealed Carry for Women... and the Sad Dearth of Good Options

5 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

fook that fookin freak. i'm just lookin' for comfortable ways to carry. i'm certain that freak is 100% against concealed carry......

I'm not very diligent about flagging my smart-ass posts as satire.    :p

On 4/28/2023 at 4:42 PM, 1LtCAP said:

fook that fookin freak. i'm just lookin' for comfortable ways to carry. i'm certain that freak is 100% against concealed carry......

I would imagine he's very adept at concealing his piece.

• Haha 1

Let’s get back on topic and stop letting nonsense live in our heads rent free, shall we? Like the man Johnny Cash said “Don’t mention his name, and his name will Pass on.” 

@Mrs. Peel have you made any headway on your journey? Any ideas or breakthroughs on gun choice? Carry style? Kit choices or brands you are interested?

• Like 1

I've been meaning to post a recommendation for USCCA, now that we can carry in NJ.  Great organization!  They put out a nice magazine, with lots of thought-provoking articles, and there is a dedicated women's section, which made me think of this discussion,  The most recent issue had a piece on unique challenges women face in dressing for CCW, which included a dozen or more examples of outfits women might wear to carry in different situations.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

I've been meaning to post a recommendation for USCCA, now that we can carry in NJ.  Great organization!  They put out a nice magazine, with lots of thought-provoking articles, and there is a dedicated women's section, which made me think of this discussion,  The most recent issue had a piece on unique challenges women face in dressing for CCW, which included a dozen or more examples of outfits women might wear to carry in different situations.

It is a great org but their insurance doesn't cover NJ

My wife has settled on this pistol.

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/1911-380/black-label-1911-380-compact.html

But I think I am going to pick up a medallion pro compact for her.

Small, very light, shoot like a dream, very small to conceal and has little kick for a .380.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, High Exposure said:

@Mrs. Peel have you made any headway on your journey? Any ideas or breakthroughs on gun choice? Carry style? Kit choices or brands you are interested?

Thank you for asking! Yeah, "journey" is the word for it!

As far as "how to" carry - your story, @High Exposure, of the "totes full of holsters no longer used" was illuminating. I have since seen other similar tales (in articles, on YouTube, etc.). I now realize there will be an evolution as I try things, but then try better things, etc. I've also come to realize that there is no "one size fits all" carry solution for me. All this helped me realize that although I should choose wisely, I can't have analysis paralysis either... because I too will probably still end up with my own tote or drawer of unused holsters, lol. I just need to crack open the wallet and start purchasing. Initially, I'm moving in 2 directions simultaneously: 

1) modestly increase my wardrobe by buying some carry-friendly clothing - a couple pair of jeans or pants with belt loops and a couple of women's belts designed for CCW, so that I can do a traditional "belt + holster" set-up. That search is well underway! I've already found a couple of belts - one more dressy, one more casual - but designed for concealed carry so they'll be rigid enough for the job.  At least 1 order will happen this week.

2) That said, since I do have sooo many dresses in my wardrobe, I'm not about to replace my entire wardrobe! So, I'm also on the hunt for a compact CCW purse with a steel-wire-reinforced cross-body strap.

I may try other things over time - but initially, those 2 basic methods - some belts + a purse (and eventual holster obvi) - would allow me to carry with ANYTHING in my wardrobe.

BTW, in addition to the many nice people contributing suggestions on this thread - there have been folks I know a bit better who have been offering help off-thread, too - like you, @High Exposure, @brucin (& his lovely wife Cindy whose brain I was just picking tonight), and @10X who was offering up handgun tryouts, etc. So, thanks to all - on- and off-thread!! Oh, those "horrible, horrible gun nuts" we always read about - they're soooo terrible, I tell ya! :facepalm:

As far as "what" to carry, I admit... I'm even more confused! I have decided to purchase a new gun just for carry - probably in 9mm. Other than a reasonably compact size, my other concern is racking the gun - although I can rack my 1911 smoothly enough, I DON'T have strong hands, and I worry if I was under stress (hands sweating, etc.) that it could cause an issue. Because I can't fully shake that concern, and I'm not ready to go the revolver route; I'm intrigued by a couple of semi-auto models touting easy to rack slides - namely, the S&W Shield "EZ" - and the Walther PDP-"F series".  I have checked the rental lists of big commercial ranges (Heritage Guild, TTC, Gun for Hire, Weshoot), because it's an important enough decision that I am willing to rent both - so that I can compare side-by-side. So far, I didn't find a range that listed BOTH models on their rental page. I need to start making phone calls this week - RTSP doesn't list rentals on their page and, who knows, the others might have out-of-date websites...? Hopefully, I can locate a place this week and then compare the 2 models head-to-head this coming month. I'm also going to put in for a couple of purchase permits this month... I figure by the time those are ready, I'll have my purchasing decision made (and probably already have CCW belt + purse), then will just need to get a holster to fit the gun. I'm guessing I'll do a qualification test probably in June and apply for the carry permit immediately after that.

Yeah, I know, I know... I'm moving s-l-o-w-l-y compared to many on here... at this pace, I'm thinking I'll probably be carrying sometime late summer at best? Whatever! It seems many of you just assumed the mantle of CCW with relative ease... either you're more experienced, competent shooters than me or you just have more natural swagger, lol! But in my case, the whole CCW option just made me suddenly (and acutely) aware of what a CASUAL, hobbyist-type shooter I've been... and just the thought of carrying concealed has generated a wholly different attitude. I think it is an AWESOME RESPONSIBILITY! Suddenly, I find myself wanting to do mo' practice, mo' training, and to try things I was too timid to do before (like local comps, and IDPA). Although I still intend to have FUN - something has definitely shifted - even more than the fun, I'm interested in getting GOOD and feeling CONFIDENT in my gun-handling abilities. It's going to be a VERY busy, firearms-focused summer for me!... with much more range time, and with a far different and more serious mindset. Everyone's unique and I don't question how anyone else has moved on this process. I just need to do this in a way that's comfortable for me... slow and steady... like the tortoise! :rofl:

36 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

As far as "what" to carry, I admit... I'm even more confused! I have decided to purchase a new gun just for carry - probably in 9mm. Other than a reasonably compact size, my other concern is racking the gun - although I can rack my 1911 smoothly enough, I DON'T have strong hands, and I worry if I was under stress (hands sweating, etc.) that it could cause an issue. Because I can't fully shake that concern, and I'm not ready to go the revolver route; I'm intrigued by a couple of semi-auto models touting easy to rack slides - namely, the S&W Shield "EZ" - and the Walther PDP-"F series".  I have checked the rental lists of big commercial ranges (Heritage Guild, TTC, Gun for Hire, Weshoot), because it's an important enough decision that I am willing to rent both - so that I can compare side-by-side. So far, I didn't find a range that listed BOTH models on their rental page. I need to start making phone calls this week - RTSP doesn't list rentals on their page and, who knows, the others might have out-of-date websites...? Hopefully, I can locate a place this week and then compare the 2 models head-to-head this coming month. I'm also going to put in for a couple of purchase permits this month... I figure by the time those are ready, I'll have my purchasing decision made (and probably already have CCW belt + purse), then will just need to get a holster to fit the gun. I'm guessing I'll do a qualification test probably in June and apply for the carry permit immediately after that.

If you're free Tuesday night I may be at SCFGPA.  I don't have a Shield EZ or PDP-F but I have a Shield and regular PDP (Full size).  One gun you may want to look at is the Sig P365XL Comp Rose.  I shot it at the SIG event and saw some of the promo going on with Lena Miculek who collaborated with SIG on the build so that it's a great system for Women shooters.  I don't have the exact model but I have a similar one (P365 X Macro and swapped to a Wilson Combat P365XL Grip module).  Very nice shooter.  Let me know if you're able to come out.  You're more than welcome to try out my carry guns.

• Like 1

If you find yourself at Weshoot on a Sunday morning send me a PM, I can bring my wife’s .380 EZ, Sig 365xcomp macro and the Browning for you to try. The sig has a red dot on it also. I just handled the PDP F with the 3.5in barrel Sunday, very nice pistol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

If you're free Tuesday night I may be at SCFGPA.  I don't have a Shield EZ or PDP-F but I have a Shield and regular PDP (Full size).  One gun you may want to look at is the Sig P365XL Comp Rose.  I shot it at the SIG event and saw some of the promo going on with Lena Miculek who collaborated with SIG on the build so that it's a great system for Women shooters.  I don't have the exact model but I have a similar one (P365 X Macro and swapped to a Wilson Combat P365XL Grip module).  Very nice shooter.  Let me know if you're able to come out.  You're more than welcome to try out my carry guns.

That's so nice! I will PM you, Nick. :air_kiss:

4 hours ago, Redeye65 said:

If you find yourself at Weshoot on a Sunday morning send me a PM, I can bring my wife’s .380 EZ, Sig 365xcomp macro and the Browning for you to try. The sig has a red dot on it also. I just handled the PDP F with the 3.5in barrel Sunday, very nice pistol.

Hey, I may have to make a point of taking a Weshoot road trip!  I'll circle back if so... and THANK YOU! :)

Shout out to @Krdshrk - who met with me last week so I could try some guns, look at some holsters, etc. That enigma holster is certainly interesting. I could see getting one of those down the road - because they would work with skirts or pants without belt loops (which is a "thing" in my wardrobe).

I have a growing realization that my original title on this thread is rather inaccurate (or exaggerated) - although it's certainly a bit more complicated for a woman's wardrobe, it's not so cut and dry for a guy either! I'm beginning to realize that everyone (male or female) needs to adapt in some way to carrying - often with multiple holsters & belts, some changes to their usual wardrobe, etc. I thought women had it a LOT worse... but it's maybe only like 20% worse! I am learning a lot. ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I triple dog dare you to be more vague.

I just want to know about the things that were discussed a while back. You know, the things. heh (I heard Biden in my head as I wrote that.)

What did Mrs. Peel work out as far as carrying a pistol while wearing a dress? What pistol was chosen? What kind of training or competition was engaged in over the last (almost) 10 months?

2 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

I believe she solved her problem. She married a Navy Seal. She no longer needs to carry anything.

Hmm... Even a Navy Seal could end up needing help and they can't always be together. I really hope this isn't where the story ends. It was just getting good. heh

• Like 1

After 3 guns and none of them were anything she could rack,  we decided on the S+W Shield EZ Performance Center in .380.  It comes with the Hi Viz H3 day/night sights and anyone can rack it with 2 fingers.  The mags are super easy to load also.  She loves it.  I am a happy camper.  Happy Wife...Happy life.  She is more inclined to shoot more with this gun than any other we have tried.

shieldez380pc.jpg

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

After 3 guns and none of them were anything she could rack,  we decided on the S+W Shield EZ Performance Center in .380.  It comes with the Hi Viz H3 day/night sights and anyone can rack it with 2 fingers.  The mags are super easy to load also.  She loves it.  I am a happy camper.  Happy Wife...Happy life.  She is more inclined to shoot more with this gun than any other we have tried.

Excellent. Both of my sisters have .380 EZ's. (One of them just added a PDP-F for reasons.) The EZ makes me feel like I have superhero strength and it's such a soft shooter. I bet a P365 in .380 would also be pretty smooth, just judging by the weight to power ratio. 

Was a carry method worked out or did she legit give up the plan to carry? 

The idea of altering dresses seemed promising, but I also get why purse carry is often considered.

My wife carries IWB, but she's either taking it off or putting it on at one of the worst possible times; getting in or out of her vehicle. 

BTW, this is the best instruction I've ever seen on the technique aspect of racking a slide. It shows two variations. I shared the instruction with an older woman shopping for her first pistol and it proved to be highly effective. https://youtu.be/LM0kl4PrINs

Edited by gloom

On 3/7/2024 at 3:19 AM, gloom said:

I just want to know about the things that were discussed a while back. You know, the things. heh (I heard Biden in my head as I wrote that.)

What did Mrs. Peel work out as far as carrying a pistol while wearing a dress? What pistol was chosen? What kind of training or competition was engaged in over the last (almost) 10 months?

it went three weeks from purple lookie icecream youscream cornpop ran away