oldguysrule649

Jeans sizing for IWB Carry

Thought I would share what I feel may be a helpful male fashion suggestion.   Approx five years ago I obtained my Texas Non-resident CCW. At the time it was recognized by Pa and I had one glorious opportunity to carry there before they stopped recognizing non-resident permits. I normally wear Wrangler jeans size 34Wx32L.  At that time I purchased the next bigger size (36Wx32L) to accommodate my IWB holster. Worked fine enough. However the larger size was a bit baggy in the seat and thighs.   

Fast forward to today.  I hope to be issued by NJ PTC in the very near future. I got to thinking.  What if I purchase the "slim fit" version of the Wrangler jeans in that larger size in the hope that it would provide me extra room at the waist but fit normally elsewhere.   So went to Walmart the other day and purchased a pair of "Wrangler Five Star - Slim Straight(Slim Seat and Thigh)" jeans in size 36Wx32L.  While there I also purchased a pair of "George" brand blue casual chinos  in size "36Wx32L Slim".  Tried both on last evening and I am pleased that they both fit quite well.  Plenty of extra room at the waist while fitting like my normal jeans in the seat and thighs/legs.  Plus the Wranglers also have some "Flex" in the waist band.  I also own two Big Foot Steel Core gun belts. One in my normal length and one two inches longer for use with the above pants and IWB carry.

p.s. Not sure if the aforementioned helps the ladies, but also refer to Mrs Peel's thread.

For jeans I typically wear my regular size.

i'm a 32 waist, and the only time my jeans are 'tight' is when they're right out of the dryer, so if I'm going to carry I just make sure that I have them on for a few minutes first.

It's hard to find 33 waist pants and 34 is jsut too big.

• Like 1

OGR649, I appreciate your helpful fashion advice, as we all learn to navigate our way through the brave new world of concealed carry in NJ.  I've been carrying in Florida for several years, and it has been almost exclusively in shorts.  I'm going to need to learn about the subtleties of dressing for colder weather, with long pants, layers of sweaters and coats, and such.

Different body types have differing needs.  I've got small slim build.  For aiwb, I wear my regular jeans.  There always seems to be just enough available space in the appendix spot.  When using my iwb at the 4 o'clock position, I have to move up a size.  The slim pants idea for the larger size is a great idea.  I'll try that on my next purchase. 

8 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Many of you are overthinking this.  I've carried a gun since 1974.  IWB, OWB.  Never had to adjust my waist size in any kind of pants.

Well, if the pants don't give any, then something else must.  My mid section tummy isn't..let's say, pliable enough move around and allow that insertions at 4:00 without a bit more room in my pants.  Grizz, however, appears to be a bit more fortunate in that respect?  :)