JHZR2

CMP Marksmanship 101 equivalent?

I am interested in taking a marksmanship course, perhaps with one of my kids.  I know the CMP does marksmanship 101, but it’s not very available.  I see one in NC and one in AL.  I think last year they had one in Fairfax VA.  

So what’s a good equivalent that isn’t far away and really helps with marksmanship?  Don’t really need “basics”, nor am I looking for a lot of tactical stuff. Just solid marksmanship. Not opposed to paying for a private trainer at someplace in NJ or say Boston to Richmond to Pittsburgh drive range.  

Recommendations?

These do look interesting.  Bummer there are none in NJ, but there are quite a few in PA and VA.   

Does anyone do a recommended marksmanship class in NJ? Particularly one oriented to kids?  Too many other activities to dedicate time to a league, but would like to work on skills at our own speed. 

Thanks!

I've hired 1 on 1 instructors at RTSP in Union a couple times for relatives and also a girls night for my wife and a couple friends.  The relatives are from Europe, have zero experience and 2 young kids at the time (8 & 12) and I just don't have enough hands for that and needed some assistance.

For the women I thought it would be beneficial to get professional instruction/second opinion with someone they wouldn't be afraid to ask a 'dumb' question.  This paid off in spades!  My wife now joins me at the range more often and got her carry permit as well.

1 on 1s are per hour.  They have classes for rifle/pistol but you mentioned going beyond the basics so 1 on 1 may be what you are looking for.  Probably best to give them a call to see if they can accommodate your needs.

5 hours ago, JHZR2 said:

Does anyone do a recommended marksmanship class in NJ? Particularly one oriented to kids? 

CNJFO has run youth range days before. Not really marksmanship, but it will get kids behind a gun and the instructors generally will take their time with the kids and give them pointers.

3 minutes ago, djg0770 said:

CNJFO has run youth range days before. Not really marksmanship, but it will get kids behind a gun and the instructors generally will take their time with the kids and give them pointers.

We did that last year.  It was great! 

But it would be good to have more focused time on technique, aiming, trigger pull, etc. 

A laser game may be a better option.  Don’t really want my child dry firing with a Mantis, even supervised.  I think something with more immediate feedback would be good.  

On 4/13/2023 at 4:58 PM, Mr.Stu said:

There are any number of instructors that frequent these pages. Are you looking for handgun or rifle coaching?

I’m sure there are great ones.  I just don’t know who’s who/specialty/preferred range.  

TBH I probably would want to do a pistol and rifle course, and maybe even rimfire vs pistol and rifle caliber if that’s worth it.  But that’s why I posted here, to get recommendations.

I don’t need intro/basics, other than that it’s good to have the standard reminders.  I also don’t need situational or tactical/tacticool type training.  I’ll probably take some separate defense classes at some point.  For now it’s just technique and critique to be as good a marksman as is possible. The skill side of it.  

thanks!