Downtownv

First "smart gun" actually hits market. So Now what, in NJ?

A little background for those who may not be aware of it, but in 2002, sweet Loretta Weinstein, democrat from Bergen county, huge anti-gunlegislature proposed and got legislation passed that if and when a smart gun became available to the public all New Jersey gun shops would have to have one available as a primary option to any potential gun buyer for consideration. In 2016  (Lorretta Weinstein again) they tried to pass a law mandating these questionable devices, it passed, both the Senate and the Assembly. The governor Chris Christie vetoed it and it died.

In light of the Bruin decision, I don't see how any of this could hold up in court however, as you all know, New Jersey passes, a law, and it is the law until it's over ridden.

Regarding Loretta, I don't know if she is alive or not, but I recalled reading that her ancestors were all captured Jews, and died during the holocaust. Do you know what they say if we don't learn from history, we're bound to repeat it and clearly Loretta never learned.

First "smart gun" actually hits market

By Tom Knighton | 8:30 PM on April 13, 2023

First "smart gun" actually hits market

So-called smart guns are often heralded as the future of firearms. The media talks about them in glowing terms, all about how technology can prevent these guns from being used by unauthorized people such as kids or gun thieves.

However, much of that talk has been nothing but talk.

Every “smart gun” we’ve seen has fallen short and never made it to market. At least, not until now.

https://bearingarms.com/tomkni...e3e8139f308bd8a1cb93

Piss on Dems.jpg

Yeah, they finally realized no one would touch a "smart gun" with a ten foot pole, and thus no one was really interested in developing a the application to a point it made sense. Sure a lot of smart guns were ultimately prototyped, but nothing was being marketed. 

So, they decided an FFL just has to offer a "smart gun" as an inventory item. 

If I were an FFL, I would buy one smart gun and stick it at the back of the safe to never see daylight. 

• Agree 1

i said it before and i'll say it again. issue them to ALL law enforcement. right from the presidents detail right on down to the local beat cop. issue them to ALL military personel. 10 years of use and study of their reliability. then and only then if there have been no bad hiccups should they be allowed to offer to the rest of us.

if they're not good enough for law enforcement, then they're not good enough for the rest of us. if they're good enough for the rest of us, then they're good enough for law enforcement.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn’t saddle the military or most cops with them, just the protection details for every politician who supports smart guns. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

The real story:

NJ's smart gun bill was written so that NJ residents could only purchase smart guns as soon as one hit the market.

There was a manufacturer who announced that they were about to release a smart gun to the market.   That manufacturer (can't remember their name) was flooded with phone calls including lots of threats to burn the place down and kill people.   Apparently the threats were so overwhelming that the legislation was re-written.

I'm sure it was discussed here at the time and there are probably a dozen old threads about what happened - as it was happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10X said:

I wouldn’t saddle the military or most cops with them, just the protection details for every politician who supports smart guns. 

well that answers our question right there. if not good enough for them, then not good enough for us.

i should also add.....no offense intended to our military or le guys. just trying to make a point.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, maintenanceguy said:

Apparently the threats were so overwhelming that the legislation was re-written.

If I remember right while it was rewritten so “smart guns” weren’t the only model FFL’s could sell immediately, it also created a “smart gun” safety committee.  That committee can (will) recommend changing the law as soon as possible.  

12 hours ago, voyager9 said:

If I remember right while it was rewritten so “smart guns” weren’t the only model FFL’s could sell immediately, it also created a “smart gun” safety committee.  That committee can (will) recommend changing the law as soon as possible.  

IN LIGHT OF BRUEN. They will continue to show their belligerence, as the did right after the ruling. Hopefully, everything they drummed up so far, gets denied.

17 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

The real story:

NJ's smart gun bill was written so that NJ residents could only purchase smart guns as soon as one hit the market.

There was a manufacturer who announced that they were about to release a smart gun to the market.   That manufacturer (can't remember their name) was flooded with phone calls including lots of threats to burn the place down and kill people.   Apparently the threats were so overwhelming that the legislation was re-written.

I'm sure it was discussed here at the time and there are probably a dozen old threads about what happened - as it was happening.

Yes, pretty sure that's how it happened.  This made the legislators realize that gun owners would never allow smart guns to reach the market under the existing legislation, so they changed it to gun stores would be required to offer a smart gun when one became available.  The cynical among us would say this was a ploy to allow the development of SG's, at which point the NJ law could be changed back to making them mandatory. 

My big concern about SG's, besides all the obvious problems with recognition, battery failure, etc., is that bad actors, including government, could jam the frequencies making them inoperable, rendering them useless at a critical time.

21 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i said it before and i'll say it again. issue them to ALL law enforcement. right from the presidents detail right on down to the local beat cop. issue them to ALL military personel. 10 years of use and study of their reliability. then and only then if there have been no bad hiccups should they be allowed to offer to the rest of us.

if they're not good enough for law enforcement, then they're not good enough for the rest of us. if they're good enough for the rest of us, then they're good enough for law enforcement.

No need to issue, make it a voluntary program. Pencil pushing Leo's don't count,  just those active in the field . How many will sign up? 

On 4/15/2023 at 12:22 PM, 1LtCAP said:

mandatory first deployment: Secret service. 

• Agree 2