LSpin

FID Change of Address, Can I still shoot question

I've filled out the necessary information online to change my address.  Can I still shoot/train at a range with the old address on the FID.  It will not match the new address on my driver's license.  Thanks.

On my first post? lol.  Thanks.  I wanted to try a new range and wondered if I'll run into problems with different addresses on my license and FID while I wait for the new address to appear on my updated FID.  

If you are taking handguns to the range, your FPIC does nothing for you. It does not give you any permission to possess a handgun so you are relying wholly the exemptions to travel directly to the range and back home. If you have a permit to carry a handgun, you are not reliant on the exemptions and can travel at will without being restricted to directly to and from the range. A permit to carry a handgun is not tied to your address.

For rifles and shotguns, your FPIC allows you to generally possess an unloaded rifle or shotgun. Similarly to the PCH, you are not relying on the exemptions and are not restricted to the directly to/from law.

For a period of 30 days after you change address the FPIC will still be valid, but after that it becomes invalid and you have to obtain a new one for your new address. Between the end of that 30 days and obtaining a new FPIC you would have to rely on the exemptions. Therefore, so long as you are travelling directly to/from the range you are within the law and can take your unloaded long guns to the range to shoot. Once you receive your new FPIC, you are free to possess your long guns generally so long as you do not venture into prohibited places.

From the NJ Administrative Code:

§ 13:54-1.7 Validity of a State of New Jersey firearms identification card and permit to purchase a handgun and form of register

(a) A State of New Jersey firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth by law and this subchapter pertaining to an applicant's eligibility. Upon becoming subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this subchapter, the card shall be void and shall be returned to the Superintendent within five days. A State of New Jersey firearms purchaser identification card shall not be valid for more than 30 days after the information contained therein is no longer reflective of the issued person, that is, current address, name change, and/or sex change.
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

@Mr.Stu  Thank you for the comprehensive response.  

2 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

For a period of 30 days after you change address the FPIC will still be valid, but after that it becomes invalid and you have to obtain a new one for your new address. Between the end of that 30 days and obtaining a new FPIC you would have to rely on the exemptions. Therefore, so long as you are travelling directly to/from the range you are within the law and can take your unloaded long guns to the range to shoot. Once you receive your new FPIC, you are free to possess your long guns generally so long as you do not venture into prohibited places.

I sold my old house on March 1 but was living in my new house prior to that (a few weeks), thus, the new address was in effect.  With the myriad of things going on, I only applied for the address change a few days ago.  So, if I understand this correctly, the FPIC (FID) with the old address will allow me to bring my handguns to the range (relying on the conditions of the travel exemptions and the fact that the FPIC does nothing for me regarding handguns) AND I can take my long guns to the range (relying on the exemptions) but right now I theoretically can't possess them until the new FPIC is approved?  WTF?  New Jersey is very confusing.

@Scorpio64  I appreciate your efforts. :)

1 minute ago, Larry Spinner said:

So, if I understand this correctly, the FPIC (FID) with the old address will allow me to bring my handguns to the range (relying on the conditions of the travel exemptions and the fact that the FPIC does nothing for me regarding handguns)

Whether you have or have ever had an FPIC means nothing with regard to handguns. Unless you have a permit to carry a handgun, you are and always were relying on the exemptions to travel directly to the range.

3 minutes ago, Larry Spinner said:

I can take my long guns to the range (relying on the exemptions)

Yes. Without a valid FPIC you can travel directly to/from the range with long guns, the same as you can with handguns.

4 minutes ago, Larry Spinner said:

but right now I theoretically can't possess them until the new FPIC is approved?  WTF?  New Jersey is very confusing.

Your home, or other land owned or possessed by you is also an exempt location. This means you can legally have them in your home. What you cannot do is possess them outside of an exemption, so you cannot put them in your car and go to the supermarket, for example, as that is not an exempt location for the purposes of the transportation exemption (unless you own the supermarket).

@Mr.Stu  Ah...  I get it now.  Thank you.  I was overthinking it.  The FPIC really only comes into effect regarding purchasing firearms (and both FPIC and a permit to purchase) in the case of handguns.  The transport to and from the range relies on the travel exemptions.  Thank you.  Although it probably wouldn't hurt to have my new valid address on the new FPIC just in case I was stopped.  Again, many thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Larry Spinner said:

The FPIC really only comes into effect regarding purchasing firearms

Not entirely correct.  With a valid FID on your person, you can drive anywhere in NJ (not just to range/lgs/gunsmith) with a properly stowed unloaded long gun and ammo.  Handguns are still to and from exempted locations, unless you have a ptc.

1 minute ago, Larry Spinner said:

@Mr.Stu  Ah...  I get it now.  Thank you.  I was overthinking it.  The FPIC really only comes into effect regarding purchasing firearms (and both FPIC and a permit to purchase) in the case of handguns.  The transport to and from the range relies on the travel exemptions.  Thank you.  Although it probably wouldn't hurt to have my new valid address on the new FPIC just in case I was stopped.  Again, many thanks. 

Not completely correct.

Your valid FPIC does 3 things for you:

1. Can be used to acquire rifles, shotguns, stripped lowers and Non-NFA Other Firearms
  2. Allows you to possess unloaded rifles and shotguns outside of the exemptions
  3. Allows you to acquire handgun ammunition in NJ.

You have to read the statutes to know about #2 & #3 as they only mention #1 on the card these days. Very old cards mention #2 as well.

You do not need an FPIC to acquire a handgun. Only the PtPP is required for that although many retailers ask for your FPIC too. There is no legal requirement for that. However, with the FARS system, you get a new FPIC whenever you apply for PtPPs so these days if you have a PtPP, you also have an FPIC. Asking for the FPIC makes it easier for the FFL to find your PtPP in FARS as it shows your SBI number.

1 minute ago, Scorpio64 said:

With a valid FID on your person, you can drive anywhere in NJ (not just to range/lgs/gunsmith) with a properly stowed unloaded long gun and ammo.  Handguns are still to and from exempted locations, unless you have a ptc.

Gotcha.  Thanks for clarifying.  

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Not entirely correct.  With a valid FID on your person, you can drive anywhere in NJ (not just to range/lgs/gunsmith) with a properly stowed unloaded long gun and ammo.  Handguns are still to and from exempted locations, unless you have a ptc.

With an FPIC, there is no "properly stowed". Technically, you can drive down the street holding your unloaded rifle out the window of your car, but it would invite a public disturbance charge - but not a firearm possession charge.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Not completely correct.

Your valid FPIC does 3 things for you:

1. Can be used to acquire rifles, shotguns, stripped lowers and Non-NFA Other Firearms
  2. Allows you to possess unloaded rifles and shotguns outside of the exemptions
  3. Allows you to acquire handgun ammunition 

Thank you.  You know?  I've been shooting for years and the more I learn, the more it puts me at ease.  I never had to really think about this until I retired and moved out of our long term house.  

5 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

You do not need an FPIC to acquire a handgun. Only the PtPP is required

My understanding is that a FID is a prerequisite for a PtPP.  ie, you cannot obtain a PtPP without first obtaining a FID.  It seems the automatic FID on application for a PtPP covers that.

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

My understanding is that a FID is a prerequisite for a PtPP.  ie, you cannot obtain a PtPP without first obtaining a FID.  It seems the automatic FID on application for a PtPP covers that.

Meeting the requirements to obtain an FPIC is a prerequisite for obtaining a PtPP, but I don't believe they ever changed the statute to require actually obtaining an FPIC to be able to obtain a PtPP. The disqualifiers are inherited from the FPIC requirements.

When it was still a paper form process, you didn't have to pay the $5 for an FPIC to obtain a PtPP. You could just check PtPP box and leave the FPIC box unchecked. For the sake of $5 it didn't really make sense to not apply for both at the same time as exactly the same background check was done for either. However, strictly speaking, it was not required by law.

I thought on the PtPP is your FID number? Anytime I've done any FFL transfer (handgun or long gun) I had to show both FID and NJ ID.  

Also as others have alluded to, you do not need a FID to own guns in NJ if you acquired them out of state and moved them here or inherited them (assuming they are NJ legal). 

Some ranges will not allow NJ residents to rent a port without an FID though.  You can go and shoot your own guns with someone who does have an FID though.  Weird I know.  

The FID is a permit to Purchase and Carry rifles and shotguns.  Also handgun ammo now. They took the carry part off of the card but the law says it still means the same thing.  Most PD's will not give a Permit to purchase a handgun unless you have that FID card too.  My town even had cops that never had a card...the town made them get one.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:03 PM, Scorpio64 said:

With a valid FID on your person, you can drive anywhere in NJ (not just to range/lgs/gunsmith) with a properly stowed unloaded long gun and ammo.  Handguns are still to and from exempted locations, unless you have a ptc.

Interesting, one can travel around the state with an unloaded AR which everyone knows is the most evil dangerous gun in the world but not a handgun.

40 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Interesting, one can travel around the state with an unloaded AR which everyone knows is the most evil dangerous gun in the world but not a handgun.

It depends on what piece of paper you have. 

FPIC = travel around with an unloaded rifle or shotgun.

PCH = travel around with a loaded handgun.

The background check for either is the same (but with a few extra hurdles like quals for the handgun)

For future reference, consider applying for your new FID card before changing your DL.  The FID change can take a few weeks or more, while the DL can be changed instantly on the DMV (MVC) website, so you won't have to worry about them not matching.  You can print out a letter with your new address while waiting for your new DL to arrive.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

It depends on what piece of paper you have. 

PCH = travel around with a loaded handgun.

True. IF you spend $500 and jump through multiple hoops every two years and stay out of sensitive no CCW locations.