Mr.Stu

IDPA returns to weekends at Phillipsburg Pistol Club

Having seen a resurgence of attendees at our monthly Wednesday evening match, we are now going to restart matches on the weekend too. We used to run on the 2nd Saturday, but attendance fell so low it was not longer viable to keep it going.

I am hoping we will see the same resurgence on the new weekend matches.

We are starting back up on the 4th Sunday each month - the first match will be May 28th.

There will be 8 stages - 4 on the outdoor range and 4 on the indoor range. Bring a flashlight as there is always a chance of low light stages.

Signup is on practiscore.com and registration will open May 20th. https://practiscore.com/phillipsburg-idpa-may-2023-sunday/register

New IDPA shooters are welcome, but I do suggest being fully familiar and experienced with your handgun before entering into the practical shooting sports.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Thanks for sharing.

Are non-members welcome on both Wednesday and Saturday matches?

You do not need to be a member of Phillipsburg Pistol Club, although members will benefit from a $5 discount on the Sunday match fee.

If you have not shot IDPA before, you can take part in up to 3 matches before you are required to join IDPA (https://www.idpa.com/) This gives you the chance to figure out if you like it (you will if you have only ever stood in a static port shooting a target that is also standing still) before you have to join.

As a member of IDPA you can take part in any IDPA match worldwide.

1 minute ago, Mr.Stu said:

You do not need to be a member of Phillipsburg Pistol Club, although members will benefit from a $5 discount on the Sunday match fee.

If you have not shot IDPA before, you can take part in up to 3 matches before you are required to join IDPA (https://www.idpa.com/) This gives you the chance to figure out if you like it (you will if you have only ever stood in a static port shooting a target that is also standing still) before you have to join.

As a member of IDPA you can take part in any IDPA match worldwide.

Thanks Stu.

I have a USPSA membership, but it's difficult to get into matches (I'm in north Jersey) so I'd have no problem joining IDPA as well, as long as I can actually get into the matches.  Some clubs will allow non-members to shoot, but members register first and matches are always full before non-members can get in.

3 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Thanks Stu.

I have a USPSA membership, but it's difficult to get into matches (I'm in north Jersey) so I'd have no problem joining IDPA as well, as long as I can actually get into the matches.  Some clubs will allow non-members to shoot, but members register first and matches are always full before non-members can get in.

I run it as a free-for-all when the registration opens. The only exception is for regulars who are Safety Officers - they get a pre-registration code to improve my chances of having enough SOs on hand to run the match.

• Like 1

Many years ago I helped run the IDPA shoots in Winslow. My son was born and my priorities changed but now that he’s getting into shooting I’d love to get back into IDPA and other competition shooting. I work every-other weekend so looking ahead; I might be able to make August and/or September. I’ve noticed there are fewer clubs hosting IDPA then there were 14 years ago so I’ll have to drive more to get to some matches. 

Hey Stu - great to hear, our group Load and Make Ready (who came en masse to your evening shoot last Christmas) and who you know from the Shongum USPSA Classifier, would be eager to participate. Are you going to post in PractiScore?

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

Registration for next Wednesday's match is open. Sign up here: https://practiscore.com/phillipsburg-idpa-june-2023-wednesday-1/register

Ahhhhh.  Next Wednesday is my wedding anniversary, so I'll have to pass (or it would end up being my LAST wedding anniversary).

Registration for Sunday's match is open here: https://practiscore.com/phillipsburg-idpa-june-2023-sunday/register

The weather forecast looks pretty wet so we may be restricted to the indoor range only. If that is the case we may also need to limit the match to 4-6 stages instead of the usual 8.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 3:49 PM, Mr.Stu said:

The sign-up page for this Sunday's match is here: https://practiscore.com/phillipsburg-idpa-february-2024-sunday/register

How strict are they in terms of the gear you have? I'm reading some custom guns wouldn't qualify.  I have a cz sp01 with cajun parts. Is that a problem? 

I may buy another vp9sk so I can just practice with my carry gun in the future. 

5 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

How strict are they in terms of the gear you have? I'm reading some custom guns wouldn't qualify.  I have a cz sp01 with cajun parts. Is that a problem? 

I may buy another vp9sk so I can just practice with my carry gun in the future. 

It depends on the division you plan to shoot. Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) allows just about anything except add-on muzzle brakes so long as the gun fits in the box and is within the weight limit. An SP-01 with a Cajun kit is fine so long as you haven't added brass grips - that would make it too heavy. 

If you have a red dot, it would be Carry Optics (CO) division which has the same modification rules as ESP but must have a slide mounted RDS. I run an SP-01 Shadow in CO.

• Like 1

Hey @Mr.Stu I finally did it!!  I signed up for IDPA match at PPC on Wed 4/17!!!  :D

Are there special glasses that I need outside of regular firearm safety glasses that include impact resistant sides?  Will a clip-on for prescription glasses work? 

Looking forward to seeing you soon,

Bob S.

1 minute ago, rschmidty6 said:

Hey @Mr.Stu I finally did it!!  I signed up for IDPA match at PPC on Wed 4/17!!!  :D

Are there special glasses that I need outside of regular firearm safety glasses that include impact resistant sides?  Will a clip-on for prescription glasses work? 

Looking forward to seeing you soon,

Bob S.

Great! Regular shooting glasses with side protection are best. The backstop at P-burg is steel so there is a possibility of frag coming back. We have rubber sheets to block it, but there is always a small risk. 

• Agree 1