GrumpyOldRetiree

Total cost of one (1) purchase permit

I am looking to buy my first handgun since 2014.

So I went to the FARS website and began the application process for 1 purchase permit.

I already have an FID card.

When I got to the end it says that I will have to pay my town $25.00 per permit and then it asks for my credit card to charge $21.00.

Is this in addition to the $25.00 payable to the town?

If so...what a hose job!!

• Agree 1

Yep, $46 for one permit. Then you will need 2 background checks, one for your purchase permit and another when you actually buy the gun. So you pay $16 for a NICS check after you have already been approved to purchase a handgun.

• FacePalm 1

Just now, DirtyDigz said:

How long has it been since you were last fingerprinted?  If you're required to get fingerprints, you'll also be paying ~$75 to Identogo (rumored to be partly owned by John Corzine):

https://www.identogo.com/

I recently did mine for soccer coaching and it was $44.  Is that because it's for a non-profit?

2 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

How long has it been since you were last fingerprinted?  If you're required to get fingerprints, you'll also be paying ~$75 to Identogo (rumored to be partly owned by John Corzine):

I just got fingerprinted at IdenToGo in March for my NJ carry permit ($57.38) . The FARS website asks if you've been fingerprinted for firearms purposes and for your SBI #, so I'm hoping I won't have to redo the prints. I was pleasantly surprised with the carry permit process in my town (Bound Brook). I got it 22 business days after I was fingerprinted. Not bad considering some of the horror stories I keep hearing about.

• Informative 1

On 5/1/2023 at 6:03 PM, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

I just got fingerprinted at IdenToGo in March for my NJ carry permit ($57.38) . The FARS website asks if you've been fingerprinted for firearms purposes and for your SBI #, so I'm hoping I won't have to redo the prints. I was pleasantly surprised with the carry permit process in my town (Bound Brook). I got it 22 business days after I was fingerprinted. Not bad considering some of the horror stories I keep hearing about.

As a followup addendum: After getting the NJ license, I applied to Lehigh County, PA for a LTCF. I got it in the mail a week after applying! I never thought I would witness this turn-of-events in my lifetime!