45Doll

Economical Custom Gun Cleaning Mat

I have several TekMat mats, which now seem to run anywhere from $10 to $30 depending on which model. The ones with the handgun exploded views are around 11 x 16". The long guns are around 12 x 36".

I have several 'issues' with those mats (and others). The exploded views are nice, but 95% of the time unnecessary for cleaning purposes. The diagrams and small print actually obscure small parts on the mats and are too 'busy' for me. The handgun mats are not big enough for my taste. And being smooth, tend to let things roll once they get going. (And I'm not buying one for every model I have!)

A few weeks ago I bought one of these for $19 to try it out:

Amazon.com: VersaTex Multi-Purpose Recycled Rubber Floor Mat for Indoor or Outdoor Use, Utility Mat for Entryway, Tool Bench, Garage, Under-Sink, Patio, and Door ; 24" x 36", Black : Everything Else

One side is dimpled, the other is "stippled". Take your pick. I easily and cleanly cut this mat in half with a razor knife. Now I have two 18x24" handgun mats, or one 24x36" rifle mat if I butt them together. I like them. Easy to wipe off, parts stay put, and economical. I just bought another one for the PA house.

Of course other sizes are available to fit your preferences, and create mats of your choice. Actually, I've thought of a few more uses besides firearms. I'm just hoping Mrs. 45Doll doesn't realized they could fit under all her plant pots. :o

• Like 2

Yoga mats. Available at your local thrift shop for next to nothing. 

About 24" x 60". I use them all over the place..... safe drawer liners, tool chest liners, work bench topper, non-slide trunk liner etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

I'm super cheap. I use a piece of corrugated cardboard.

Not cheap, practical and smart. Because that's what I do too. Always have a pile of random pcs of cardboard around anyway, always usefull and free. The corrugated is especially handy because screws and pins can be poked in and won't roll around.