Deacon Steve

Firearm Purchasers Permit, Union NJ

Has anyone applied for a firearm purchasers permit in Union. This is my second one. The first took 35days. For some strange reason I thought the second one would be much quicker. In two days it will have been 30 days. Like an idiot I purchased a gun already and after the 14th, I'll be paying a $50 a month storage fee.

My 2 cents...

Storage fees vary and RTSP seems to be the priciest on just about everything.  I have been tempted to make a purchase before having my permit in hand but wanted to avoid your situation.  I'd be pissed as any fees are adding to the cost of the gun but I see it from the FFL side if it were me I'd want to charge to hold your stuff too.

That said never purchase a handgun in NJ without a permit in hand.  #1 reason is Murphy's law and if you leave room for that to occur it's going to happen.

(I'm assuming this was an in store purchase - not a transfer)  If it were me in this situation I would first reach out to the local PD firearms detective and see where I'm at in the process to get an idea of when I might see them.  If it seems to be a while for the permit I would talk to RTSP about a refund to save on storage fees or get a store credit or if they will apply a credit to purchase a long gun today to avoid any fees.  I don't know what handgun you are purchasing but unless it's something special  it's likely there will be another one available somewhere once you have your permit.

5 hours ago, Deacon Steve said:

Once this is all said and done, I am definately looking for a new FFL. I like the convience of it being in walking distance from my house, but all their fees are too high.

12 hours ago, Deacon Steve said:

I'll be paying a $50 a month storage fee.

I drive an hour from my house to use Steve at Monmouth Arms precisely to avoid these kind of rip offs and other hassles.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 7:10 AM, Deacon Steve said:

It's actually RTSP in Union. I started going there because it's so close to my home. Like literally 5 mins. They are a little pricey. I am probably gonna end up paying around $150 to pick up my handgun or even more if I don't get my permit within the next 30 days.

On 5/12/2023 at 9:14 AM, SmokenClay said:

My 2 cents...

Storage fees vary and RTSP seems to be the priciest on just about everything.  I have been tempted to make a purchase before having my permit in hand but wanted to avoid your situation.  I'd be pissed as any fees are adding to the cost of the gun but I see it from the FFL side if it were me I'd want to charge to hold your stuff too.

That said never purchase a handgun in NJ without a permit in hand.  #1 reason is Murphy's law and if you leave room for that to occur it's going to happen.

(I'm assuming this was an in store purchase - not a transfer)  If it were me in this situation I would first reach out to the local PD firearms detective and see where I'm at in the process to get an idea of when I might see them.  If it seems to be a while for the permit I would talk to RTSP about a refund to save on storage fees or get a store credit or if they will apply a credit to purchase a long gun today to avoid any fees.  I don't know what handgun you are purchasing but unless it's something special  it's likely there will be another one available somewhere once you have your permit.

If it’s a store bought gun that’s kinda crappy to charge for storage fees. This is NJ as it is. I would understand a transfer/mail order gun and getting charged storage fees. Maybe a visit to the store to explain the situation and see if they can waive it as a courtesy or even a reduced fee. You won’t know till you try.

Fees may be stated up front but if the convenience of proximity to the store is what you want then just have to plan better and as others suggested buy after you have the permits.

How I miss the days of the $2 permits.I’ll take 6 please!

On 5/12/2023 at 6:31 AM, Deacon Steve said:

Has anyone applied for a firearm purchasers permit in Union. This is my second one. The first took 35days. For some strange reason I thought the second one would be much quicker. In two days it will have been 30 days. Like an idiot I purchased a gun already and after the 14th, I'll be paying a $50 a month storage fee.

Yeah I think they must be backed up since the Chief started doing the CCW process. I had applied for some purchase permits around October and got them back in about 3 weeks. When I applied recently it was a little over a month. You should check out Heritage guild in Rahway. They will let you put your gun on layaway, and you won’t have to pay storage while you’re waiting for your permits. RTSP prices and fees are crazy sometimes.

RTSP did not charge me a storage fee, the fee is for firearms purchased from them. Mine was an online purchase shipped to them. I finally got my purchasers permit and got my gun and have already ran 500 rounds through it. I brought the Canik TP9SFX 9mm. It is very accurate and I love it.

• Like 1

I was a sergeant in Union NJ , The force is 150 men and women strong, pretty decent size. The population swells to 250k during the day. In my time they maybe had 1 detective that was overwhelmed doing FA permits, maybe now its different. Could be that guy as out on prime vacation time in August. IDK. That doesn't make it ok, but you would never know, the call volume for police in that town is off the hook. Im talking at times serious crime. I was a sergeant in charge from anywhere from 15 to 22 guys on my platoon (day shift), and we were BUSY,.  The people doing your permit aren't slouches just probably backed up. Again it's no excuse, Im just trying to add some small perspective.