GrumpyOldRetiree

Road rage shooting in Somerset county

The NJ press is reporting a road rage shooting in Somerset County.

Links:

https://newjersey.news12.com/road-rage-incident-over-lane-change-leads-to-attempted-murder-charge-for-somerset-man

https://www.nj.com/somerset/2023/05/road-raging-nj-driver-fired-2-shots-at-car-while-trying-to-merge-cops-say.html

If the facts are as is being reported...God, I pray that this guy is NOT a concealed carry permit holder.

But because the charges do not include the whole laundry list that usually applies to an illegally possessed gun, I'm a little worried.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

The NJ press is reporting a road rage shooting in Somerset County.

Links:

https://newjersey.news12.com/road-rage-incident-over-lane-change-leads-to-attempted-murder-charge-for-somerset-man

https://www.nj.com/somerset/2023/05/road-raging-nj-driver-fired-2-shots-at-car-while-trying-to-merge-cops-say.html

If the facts are as is being reported...God, I pray that this guy is NOT a concealed carry permit holder.

But because the charges do not include the whole laundry list that usually applies to an illegally possessed gun, I'm a little worried.

would this not preclude the possibility of him having had a ccw?

"second-degree possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose""""

dude looks like a liberal kook. if he did have one....maybe a fall guy?

2 hours ago, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

Indeed.

"Chapman is charged with first-degree attempted murder and second-degree firearm possession for an unlawful purpose."

Seems like he'd be hit with a LOT more if he wasn't licensed.

Psycho even smiled like a lunatic for his booking pic:

attachment-Gerald-Chapman-1.jpg?w=630&h=

"""""""""""""""""The victim then reported the incident to Franklin Township Police, who identified Chapman with help from Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crimes Unit and with the assistance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation Franklin Resident Field Office."""""""""""

he was known to them. i don't see them having "found" him so fast if he wasn't......

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

A little ironic considering this happened days after courts couldn't prove ccw holders were an issue

More then "a little ironic". If he did have a CC license it would lend support their "wild west" pearl clutching claims when these cases are finally adjudicated.

19 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Yikes.  I know exactly where that is.... 

Yeah I make that merge all the time and I think the right lane immediately after the light is closed for construction (still?) which foils the last-minute mergers.  

Seems someone should have planned better

I suspect this guy is not a concealed carry permit holder; if he was Papa Smurphy would have had all media outlets carpet bombing the state with alarmist nonsense about the dangers posed by legal gun owners.   

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, 10X said:

I suspect this guy is not a concealed carry permit holder; if he was Papa Smurphy would have had all media outlets carpet bombing the state with alarmist nonsense about the dangers posed by legal gun owners.   

I hope upon hope that your suspicions  are correct.

30 minutes ago, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

I hope upon hope that your suspicions  are correct.

Of course he isn't. No one who went through that rigamarole to get his permit would whip it out for a traffic merge problem.

And besides that, just look at his face. I would have denied the permit just on the basis of his photo.

• Haha 1

The photo is attributed to the Somerset prosecutor's office, so not sure about the claim that it's his DL. Don't mean to paint with a broad brush, but the haircut, glasses, face type, bizarre mug shot smile, and lack of info make me wonder if he had a Nazi flag in the trunk, if you get my drift.

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Of course he isn't. No one who went through that rigamarole to get his permit would whip it out for a traffic merge problem.

And besides that, just look at his face. I would have denied the permit just on the basis of his photo.

like i said...he looks like a leftist nutter

Why, as a group of gun enthusiasts, without having really any of the "facts", would we cast aspersions, speculate, and deride someone who perhaps/possibly did exactly what we all want the right to do, defend ourselves. I say possibly because we all have no clue what really happened. 

A few facts, 1. the person in question definitely doesn't appear to be a lib kook to anyone who knows him (complete opposite in fact). 2. the person has a military background 3. doubt the person has nj ccw but does hail from a state with permitless carry and likely had a ccw in that state prior to that law change. 4. no nazi flag displayed in or on vehicle.

As for that picture, hard to believe that is a booking picture because he has a suit jacket on and while he is somewhat of a goofy person I can't imagine him smiling like that in such a situation. Not sure who would get dressed up to turn themselves in (possible, just unlikely given his normal daily dress). Also, as for reports that LEO identified him, I'm not sure about that because he turned himself in they didn't come arrest him. I think for an attempted murder charge they would actively go out and arrest the person, no?

As for what actually transpired... who knows we weren't there and all we have is a snippet of the victim's statement. Which, in and of itself, is odd. The victim stated "there was no room to merge". In that location it is easy enough to "make room" by just not moving and letting the person in when traffic starts moving so it sounds like both parties were initially being aholes prior to escalation. This is quite common in this location. According to victim the suspect reacted violently... So, in what appears to be a road rage incident the victim after witnessing aggressive acts by the suspect, "got out to check the mirror". Any of us who have been involved in any type of road rage incident know full well that when someone exits the vehicle it is generally to escalate the situation. Perhaps after a gun was pulled the victim's story had to change? Who knows.

We do know that after the shots were fired said victim tried to chase/follow the shooter until he lost him when the shooter turned off the main road and up into a local neighborhood. That to me sounds like a heated incident from beginning to end and based on reports and accounts from talking directly with SCSO folks. Or it could be just like the victim said, the shooter lost his shit and shot at him. Who knows. But let's hope for the sake of legal gun owners that it was truly self defense because that is always better than the alternative.

How dare you use critical thinking skills and logic!

You should be drawing conclusions from incomplete information and making sweeping declarative statements about an incident you were not involved in and didn’t witness!

Is this your first day on the internet? Don't you know how this works?

• Haha 5

On 5/24/2023 at 6:11 PM, 45Doll said:

Except for those coming on here asking which place to go to that would give them an easy CCW test and bypass the whole training, practice, and learning rigamarole parts.  

7 minutes ago, ESB said:

Except for those coming on here asking which place to go to that would give them an easy CCW test and bypass the whole training, practice, and learning rigamarole parts.  

Huh?

9 minutes ago, ESB said:

Except for those coming on here asking which place to go to that would give them an easy CCW test and bypass the whole training, practice, and learning rigamarole parts

Could you provide links to some of those posts? I must have missed them!

13 minutes ago, ESB said:

I think this is the thread.  Some people think the qual test is too hard and wants an easier one and some think there should be no tests at all.  

I had no issues qualifying but should there be a cognitive test to vote?  How about to express your first ammendment rights.  How about a test to be provided tge 8th ammendment.   

Remember a right in wich you need permission to exercise is not a right.  There are plenty of states in which as long as you can legally own a gun you can carry and there are very little issues with legal carry

9 hours ago, ESB said:

I think this is the thread.  Some people think the qual test is too hard and wants an easier one and some think there should be no tests at all.  

the qualification test is not even remotley hard. not this time 'round anyway. i'm sure nj will change that within the next year or two.

those who think there should be no test at all are correct.