VrPilot

NjCCP LAST STEP, THE INTERVIEW?

Hello Gentlemen (and Ladies),

So after having completed all qualifications successfully including but not limited to a 4th reference even though I applied prior to Murphy’s Dec 2022 4th reference addition, I will be attending my “personal interview”. For what’s it’s worth, I was already a FID card holder prior to applying for my CCP.

My question is; what can (or can not) I be asked during this, what are the DOs and DONTS during, and any advice you all may have to offer.

I am of course, a legal law abiding American having lived the last 20+ years in NJ but do not take kindly to having my God and forefather given rights violated.

Any suggestions, experiences are appreciated!

Thanks for the reply,

yea, I didn’t think this was a requirement either, nor the fact that they insisted on “calling”and asking all questions again of my references, even though they all returned their letters, all 4. 
I have complied with all regulations above and beyond, but this seems like a bit much.

it is for this very reason among others that I asked this forum question in the 1st place with regard to what they can and can’t do by law or good practice. 

I tried private messaging you the town but the forum wouldn’t allow me. As I would not put it past the gatekeepers to monitor these forums. 

An in person interview was one of the things added in A4769. They also wanted the references to submit to an in person interview too, but Judge Bumb enjoined that last week.

Depending on your town, it may be a formality, or an opportunity to try to deny you.

I went through a denial pre-Bruen and had to answer questions in court from the Prosecutor. Be wary of questions like "If someone tried to carjack you, would you shoot them?" The most acceptable answer would be that you would attempt to escape by driving away first. If they press you, state that the use of deadly force is the last resort and so long as you and anyone else in the car can exit safely, you would let them steal your car. If you had a small child strapped in the back seat, that is likely not going to be an option. Deadly force is allowed to protect another from kidnapping.

Otherwise listen to the questions carefully and be honest in your answers. Answer only the question asked. Do not elaborate.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

When I got my first Handgun permits and FPIC in Rutherford,  the detectives actually came to my house.  I called them in but they said just come out. They handed me my card.  I suppose they really DO need to see who these permits are for. I have no problem with that.  It is nice to meet some of these guys too.  Everyone should.   They dont do that anymore...and 3 weeks for a carry permit.  Very professional.

• Agree 1