1LtCAP

sirius xm

anyone here actually using it?  i just updated the app on my stangs radio, and have a free trial for 90 days. can stream through the app too. i'll use that at work for a bit to see how i like it. it looks like it'll be about 23 bucks a month after the trial period if i choose to keep it active. i'm curious how happy or not those who're using it are?

I’ve had it since 2001.  Either paid for or included when I’ve purchased a new vehicle.    It was really nice to always have the same channels, of which there are a ton, anywhere you’re driving.  Some of that benefit maybe has waned due to phone integration and streaming apps but it’s still pretty convenient.  Also getting all the NFL and NHL games is sweet if we are on the road during the season.  

41 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I’ve had it since 2001.  Either paid for or included when I’ve purchased a new vehicle.    It was really nice to always have the same channels, of which there are a ton, anywhere you’re driving.  Some of that benefit maybe has waned due to phone integration and streaming apps but it’s still pretty convenient.  Also getting all the NFL and NHL games is sweet if we are on the road during the season.  

travel isn't so much an issue for me as is the convenience of having music i REALLY enjoy, and most of all.....no fooking commercials. i'm up to here<holding my hand above my head> with half-azz'd commercials, and more commercials than programming.

there was a day i'd have listened to a winston cup race on the radio when i can't watch, but no more. they didn't have nhra listed, so i'm doubtful if i could listen to that...but then again how do you call a drag race that's completed in just under 4 seconds? i'm not enough of a football or baseball fan to listen to those. i'm just looking for commercial-free music that i like. i've always been leery of paying a monthly fee for it though......

10 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'm just looking for commercial-free music that i like.

Sound like me, I just signed up for music showcase, $4.99 / month, like $6 with BS fees.

after a year would be whatever it is then, I’ll worry about that in a tear if I still want it.

For $75 for the year, I’ll get 50’s through 2000’s plus extras.

if anyone interested they are have a summer trial for a week 

siriusxm.com/summerlisten

It.  Is.  Awesome. Chump change for commercial free tunes altho the hosts can get a bit chatty. Huge selection of music, sports ,news etc. I think I pay around $8 a month. When it's time to renew they try to bump the rate a lot but just say cancel it and they'll keep it the same, at least for me for a bunch of ongoing  yrs. I've got a favorite show, a bit off the normal path. It's broadcasts oldtime radio shows, coppers, bank robbers and smokey room type stuff. Lots of fun.

• Agree 1

I have it in both of our vehicles. It’s nice to be able to listen to the same shows on a long road trip. 

I listen to the Patriot Radio channel. Fan of David Webb and Andrew Wilcow. 
Mrs Tex likes the 70’s-80’s, metal channel, and hair band channels. 

I used to have it, but dropped it due to poor reception driving under wet trees.

I use my phone now to stream youtube music. Still no ads and the selection is huge. I have a subscription which covers up to 5 accounts so the whole family is covered. 

I was a Sat radio subscriber from back when Sirius and XM were separate companies and you needed the external player. Used it for a time when integrated into the car stereo as well.

Got tired of the constant drops when going under overpasses and tree lined roads. They claim to be commercial free, but that's not entirely true. All stations had ads for other stations,  many other stations (typically talk, sports, comedy or news) have traditional commercials. I also didn't care for the deejays. The final straw was the constant junk mail and phone calls from them. 

I've tried most of the streaming music services available: Amazon, Spotify, Pandora, Deezer, YouTube and Tidal. I've been on Apple Music for the last year and a half or so. Spotify was the longest one before them. I would have stayed with Spotify, but I find Apple has better quality. I also get it bundled in with my cell phone plan now. 

I was impressed with the audio quality when I listened to it during the free trial when we got my wife's new car. Not enough to give them my money though, especially when the signal still drops so frequently. 

The others bring up a good point.  If you’re just looking to listen to “your music” and you have a smartphone and car with Bluetooth/CarPlay then going with a music streaming app on the phone may be better.  You pick exactly the songs/artists/genres you want.    

If, instead, you want a wide range of music, talk, sports, etc or primarily listen where you don’t have cell service.   Then XM may be better.  

I grew tired of the constantly yearly call to bargain down the price... " sorry no new promotions, oh you really are going to cancel, OK we have the cheaper price now" 

It's good if it has what you need or want, but I just want to stream music and there are cheaper alternatives. It's also good if you live out in the middle of no where. But around here there is enough tree coverage to get spotty reception in the summer. 

3 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

I grew tired of the constantly yearly call to bargain down the price... " sorry no new promotions, oh you really are going to cancel, OK we have the cheaper price now" 

It's good if it has what you need or want, but I just want to stream music and there are cheaper alternatives. It's also good if you live out in the middle of no where. But around here there is enough tree coverage to get spotty reception in the summer. 

LOL Love my XM but the haggling every year is a drag. I leave that part to my wife as she thrives on making them cry.

i had classic rewind running while working in the yard today. it was fantastic. no commercials. no overly chatty dj's. just good music.

i've only got 1 vehicle that can get this through its own radio, and that's my gt. so i downloaded the app, and tested that today, because i have bluetooth adapters to be able to connect the phone to the truck or subaru......

I got a stupid cheap multi year promotion around the holidays one year  to renew an expired subscription in my car.

In order to keep them from banging the card again after it expired, I loaded up a Vanilla Gift Visa card, and used that to pay for the service.

2 hours ago, Fred2 said:

In order to keep them from banging the card again after it expired, I loaded up a Vanilla Gift Visa card, and used that to pay for the service.

I LIKE this idea....

The wife and I have had it for years, we travel to NC frequently and enjoy not loosing stations every 50 miles, once the subscription runs out it’s just a phone call to get back to the $92 all in cost, they gave up on the haggling and offer the same rate up front.

22 hours ago, siderman said:

It.  Is.  Awesome. Chump change for commercial free tunes altho the hosts can get a bit chatty. Huge selection of music, sports ,news etc. I think I pay around $8 a month. When it's time to renew they try to bump the rate a lot but just say cancel it and they'll keep it the same, at least for me for a bunch of ongoing  yrs. I've got a favorite show, a bit off the normal path. It's broadcasts oldtime radio shows, coppers, bank robbers and smokey room type stuff. Lots of fun.

i saw this, and went looking to see if they broadcast the shadow.....'specially since i've been spending time each night reading the books.....no dice.

I've been a Sirius subscriber since 2006.  I have it in all vehicles and use the app when at home or in the office.  I initially bought it to hear Howard Stern, but have not been a daily listener since he went off the deep end.  These days, I mostly listen to the comedy stations and "my music."

In 2005 they offered a lifetime subscription that would work in your vehicle, your boat, your computer, and your phone for $395. I bought it risking the fact that Sirius may not even survive and go belly up at any time. I won that bet. The main reason I bought it was because the Howard Stern, which is kind of funny because I can't stand his Hollywood A-Lister bullshit and haven't listened to him in years. But there is some great content in the SiriusXM system.  So in actuality today I paid $23.23 per year and every year that number continues to go down.

3 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

I've been a Sirius subscriber since 2006.  I have it in all vehicles and use the app when at home or in the office.  I initially bought it to hear Howard Stern, but have not been a daily listener since he went off the deep end.  These days, I mostly listen to the comedy stations and "my music."

Similar story, got it in 2006 for Howard, now i can't stand him.

I no longer listen to traditional broadcast radio.  I find Sirius great for tons of music with no commercials,  comedy radio on road trips, and sports. I mostly listen to the ESPN college radio channel since I dumped pro sports.

1 hour ago, Downtownv said:

In 2005 they offered a lifetime subscription that would work in your vehicle your boat your computer and your phone who is $395. I bought it risking the fact that sirrius may not even survive and go belly up at any time. I won that bet. The main reason I bought it was because the Howard Stern, which is kind of funny because I can't stand his Hollywood A-Lister bullshit and haven't listened to him in years. But there is some great content in the SiriusXM system.  So in actuality today I paid $23.23 per year and every year that number continues to go down.

You won big

so....listened to classic vinyl otw in to work, and classic rewind otw home. classic rewind(with earl bailey....didn't he used to be on mmr?) it actually felt like...........WIFI92. lol. how many remember that station??

16 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

so....listened to classic vinyl otw in to work, and classic rewind otw home. classic rewind(with earl bailey....didn't he used to be on mmr?) it actually felt like...........WIFI92. lol. how many remember that station??

EB is the man. Prolly my favorite dj. The girl dj's all yak too much lol.

5 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

Or WFIL 560am it was the WABC of Philly along with Wibbage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Downtownv said:

Or WFIL 560am it was the WABC of Philly along with Wibbage

Right. My whole family was from Philly so I spent a lot of time there through high school. George Michaels comes to mind. And I'd always catch songs on WFIL that were still qualifying for WABC's playlist a month or two ahead of time. "Expressway To Your Heart" comes to mind. The band we had did that in north Jersey live before anyone here had heard it on the radio. I bought the 45 in Philly and brought it home for the band to hear.

But I still think WIFI 92 had the best jingle package I ever heard. I was working for the owner's station in Delaware in the late 70's, but never made it to the big time. That would have been my dream shot.

Anybody remember "The Big X" in Easton? WEEX, otherwise known as 99X. Frantic Freddie Frederics etc.

We had it for a while, but as others mentioned, got tired of the annual or even 6 month call to bargain down the price.

Switched to Spotify Family a while back and that seems to be working, the whole family gets an account up to 6 people.