Maksim

Process to Apply for Handgun Permits and FID

Read this first before posting, as this will explain 95% of the process.

This is an excerpt of an email I sent to someone I met that was interested in getting a handgun.

Was great speaking with you last night. As per our discussion, here are the links to the forms that you need to apply for your FID and permits.

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf This is for the Mental Health Consent Form.

And

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf This is the application form itself.

Have them filled out. Call your local PD, tell them you want to apply for your FID, you live in that town, and have already filled out the forms from the State police website . They will schedule an apt for you to come in, do fingerprints, as well as to complete the apps in person. The FID card itself is $5, and each pistol permit is $2. Each permit valid for 3 months, but then you can extend easily for another 3 months. Cheap insurance to have more permits

When I got my FID everything was done at the station and it was free of charged. I will ask for a few pistols permit, use only one, and keep the others in my file at the police dept, when I needed other all I have to do is ask for it, and in a few days I had the permit in my hands.

guys, i JUST finished my residency in philadelphia. When applying for my license, I am still looking for the right job right now, so technically i am unemployed. will this negatively affect my application for handgun permits and an FID?

should I put the title Dr. on my application or list resident or unemployed at this point in my application? i wanted to go file everything tomorrow.

Shouldn't affect it, but you could also put self-employed. That's what I did after getting laid off and no problems.

thank you sir, i appreciate it.

last year, i was Fingerprinted by local police department for the hospital I worked at. I had to undergo background checks and fingerprinting for my board exams and license to practice as well as for the hospital. will any of these fingerprints and checks be able to be used? or will i have to pay for prints again?

Shouldn't affect it, but you could also put self-employed. That's what I did after getting laid off and no problems.

thank you sir, i appreciate it.

last year, i was Fingerprinted by local police department for the hospital I worked at. I had to undergo background checks and fingerprinting for my board exams and license to practice as well as for the hospital. will any of these fingerprints and checks be able to be used? or will i have to pay for prints again?

Pretty sure you need to be printed again.

I had an SSBI done to get my clearance. Had my profile run by the local PD, then the FBI, printed by the DOD... and then further unscheduled interviews with random folk that were in my life I grew up with done by the DOD... and then all of that adjudicated by the DOD's personnel security and building security... and then a polygraph. Still had to get printed and a background check done by the NJSP for my FID. Talk about redundancy in the system :roll:

Does anyone know if you have to apply in the town you live in? I've been trying to apply in the town I'm in, but their fingerprinting machine isn't working (insert your joke here). Could I apply at an adjoining town and get it done there?

Expecting the worst, but hoping for the best...

Does anyone know if you have to apply in the town you live in? Yes, unless the NJSP cover your jurisdiction. I've been trying to apply in the town I'm in, but their fingerprinting machine isn't working (insert your joke here). I'm sure they have INK. Could I apply at an adjoining town and get it done there? No.

Expecting the worst, but hoping for the best...

background checks and fingerprinting for my board exams and license to practice as well as for the hospital. will any of these fingerprints and checks be able to be used? or will i have to pay for prints again?

The prints cannot be used for a firearm's app. You will see a number called the ORI on the applicant card. they are different for a job application and a FI app. The ORI is the jurisdiction or basically a routing number. Different routing for different applications.

background check is $60.25 in a money order to The Division of State Police

Actually is is a Criminal History check. Application must be made at the PD of residence unless the town does not have one in which case the State Police handle the paperwork.

background check is $60.25 in a money order to The Division of State Police

Actually is is a Criminal History check. Application must be made at the PD of residence unless the town does not have one in which case the State Police handle the paperwork.

Paperwork handled by town if they do it, but the Money order has to be made out to the State Police even if your town takes your app and does the fingerprinting.

If I already have my SBI number do I have to put down my references again? I had heard that if you haven't applied for a pistol permit in over 2 years (or done a NICS check) you have to pay the full amout for the background check. Any truth to any of that?

If I already have my SBI number do I have to put down my references again? I had heard that if you haven't applied for a pistol permit in over 2 years (or done a NICS check) you have to pay the full amout for the background check. Any truth to any of that?

References probably, but not prints.

Cost is $18 instead of the $60 + for initial w/ prints.

Does anyone know if you have to apply in the town you live in

Not totally correct. A town has the ability to process an application if the applicant owns a business in the town. We never did but the ability was there.

AFIS down. Ever stop to think the system was down as it is an on-line application. In any event, the agency may not have a supply of Applicant cards or the equipment to roll the prints. Why bother keeping it out if it isn't used. Will they go find it and drag it out for applicant use? Doubt it.

The restrictions I was given at Woodbridge is that they have to NJ residents and they weren't allowed to be local PD.

I find this wierd. Wouldn't a Police officer be a great reference no matter of where they live?

Most of my references are going to be from NY I hope this doesn't cause any problems.

I'm just ending my 2nd month of trying to get a permit. My town has exactly 2 hours per week they deal with this. Of course it's in the middle of the day so you have to leave work. Whatever. The 1st week I showed up, the officer who handled it wasn't there. I didn't know you could download and print the forms and fill them out prior so when I picked them up he says I can't stay there and just fill them out, I have to bring them back the next week. ok. So I bring them back and tells me they no longer do fingerprinting on site and refer me to an outside company. Call them and the soonest appointment is 3 weeks out. ok. So I'm done with finger printing and I know the reference letters have been returned, I call them and ask if there's anything else I need to do and how long I should expect to be waiting for a phone call and they say..... 3 to 4 months! If this is true this whole process will have taken 5 to 6 months?!?!? My record is clean, I'm sane etc etc. What's worse is that they notified my place of employment and my wife that I was seeking a hand gun permit. No biggie really, the wife knows and job isn't a problem (it did make for an awkward conversation) but still, that irked me. I'm in no position to get a lawyer and I learned at a young age that you don't go up against local police in anything you care about unless you're planning on moving far away later that day. Is there anything that can be done? I'm not desperate for a gun but it jhis is obviously a tactic they're employing that has worked in the past. They seem perfectly confident no one's going to say anything.

I grew up in Ohio and I don't even want to talk about how easy it was to get a gun. I saved up a $1000 for a top of the line Browning shotgun when I was 19, went to the sporting goods store and walked out with it in 15 minutes. Granted that was 20 years ago. Now I'm 39, a tax paying home owner with a spotless record (don't even have speeding tickets) and great credit and I'm lookinig at 6 months to get a peashooter. :violin:

I grew up in Ohio and I don't even want to talk about how easy it was to get a gun. I saved up a $1000 for a top of the line Browning shotgun when I was 19, went to the sporting goods store and walked out with it in 15 minutes. Granted that was 20 years ago. Now I'm 39, a tax paying home owner with a spotless record (don't even have speeding tickets) and great credit and I'm lookinig at 6 months to get a peashooter. :violin:

I'm also originally from Ohio(North of Alliance, then later, near Coschocton) and I was very peeved at the whole process. I brought guns with me when I moved to NJ and never bothered to get the Purchaser ID until last year. As PK noted, squeeky annoyances get oiled :). Start at about 6 weeks and keep calling. Be polite and take down any names and information you get so you and barf it back at them if the story changes.

You mentioned a peashooter...if you want a BB gun, drive to PA and get one. If you did or do inherit a gun from one of your relatives in Ohio, you don't have to do anything as far as the state of NJ is concerned. It's your gun. Any guns you purchased, friend to friend while you lived in Ohio are completely legal to have and shoot in NJ for target or hunting.

Welcome Aboard.