Maksim

Process to Apply for Handgun Permits and FID

I read the NJ statute, attended an NRA pistol class in NJ, read this thread and many others and I'm still confused.

I'm a New York resident, legal handgun owner, and I want to shoot at a range in NJ, both rifle and handgun. What must I do, to be in compliance with NJ laws? Please note, that I'm not interested in interpretations of laws that might be useful in defending myself in court. I want to understand what I must do to not get arrested should the opportunity present itself to NJ LEO.

Thanks in advance.

If you are travelling solely to the range you'll be fine as long as you have the firearms in a secured case and the ammunition in a separate case. Your guns must be NJ legal - 15 round mags max. Rifles should have a maximum of 1 "evil" feature. Pretty much any NY Legal gun should be good to go in NJ.

If you are travelling solely to the range you'll be fine as long as you have the firearms in a secured case and the ammunition in a separate case. Your guns must be NJ legal - 15 round mags max. Rifles should have a maximum of 1 "evil" feature. Pretty much any NY Legal gun should be good to go in NJ.

Wow. Thanks. It's that simple, huh? I suppose having a FID might not hurt, though? It would be useful to buy ammo in NJ from time to time.

Wow. Thanks. It's that simple, huh? I suppose having a FID might not hurt, though? It would be useful to buy ammo in NJ from time to time.

Yes, it is that simple.

I believe anyone that has firearms in NJ should get a purchaser ID. This includes folks that cross the border to shoot. The reality is, for you, just get the process started forget about it and some months later it will be done. It's not quite as urgent for a non resident since you can purchase in your own state.

i am trying to apply in Manalapan. Besides the 2 forms on the first post what else do they ask of you in Manalapan? i have been trying to contact the police department there, but have not gotten any type of responses on how to actually apply.

Anyone have experience applying for an FID and pistol permit(s) in the Town of Boonton?

I have tried several times to call the Detectives to get the process started. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone and voicemails have not been returned.

Thanks.

Anyone have experience applying for an FID and pistol permit(s) in the Town of Boonton?

I have tried several times to call the Detectives to get the process started. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone and voicemails have not been returned.

Thanks.

Just show up at the police department and ask for the records person. They may only staff it certain days of the week.

You'll get the forms and they should explain how they want fingerprints.

I don't have any knowledge of specifics in Boonton, sorry.

Just show up at the police department and ask for the records person. They may only staff it certain days of the week.

You'll get the forms and they should explain how they want fingerprints.

I don't have any knowledge of specifics in Boonton, sorry.

Thanks, I have my forms all filled out and ready to go. Just need to schedule fingerprinting.

Their website instructs people to call to begin the application process yet no one is there to answer the calls and no information about when people are available.

I guess I'll have to go down there and hope for the best.

Thanks again.

Thanks, I have my forms all filled out and ready to go. Just need to schedule fingerprinting.

Their website instructs people to call to begin the application process yet no one is there to answer the calls and no information about when people are available.

Thanks again.

Yeah, just show up. If they don't answer the phone, you've got no other choice.

The will either direct you to Sagem Morpho or tell you what day they fingerprint. My dept does it on Fridays only.

You may even get lucky and they do it right there so have the money and everything done, just in case.

Hey guys,

I just applied for a FID card and a handgun permit this week.

I didnt have to call my local PD, i just went there and they provided me with the paperwork. I filled out the paper work and had to pay 2 dollars for the hand gun permit and 5 dollars for the FID card. After handing in the paper work and payment, they game me more paperwork to get my fingerprints done at a private facility. I had to fill out the same paper work online as well as make an apt with the fingerprint facility. This required an online payment of 60.25. I have completed all the steps, now its just the waiting game. For anyone looking to apply soon, make sure you read all the rules to get your fingerprints, theres a bunch

Hey guys,

I just applied for a FID card and a handgun permit this week.

I didnt have to call my local PD, i just went there and they provided me with the paperwork. I filled out the paper work and had to pay 2 dollars for the hand gun permit and 5 dollars for the FID card. After handing in the paper work and payment, they game me more paperwork to get my fingerprints done at a private facility. I had to fill out the same paper work online as well as make an apt with the fingerprint facility. This required an online payment of 60.25. I have completed all the steps, now its just the waiting game. For anyone looking to apply soon, make sure you read all the rules to get your fingerprints, theres a bunch

Do the prints have to be done by a NJ contracted private facility? Do they just use regular blue/white print cards that one has to take back to NJSP (me being a PA resident)? or is it electronic submitted directly from printer to NJSP?

Do the prints have to be done by a NJ contracted private facility? Do they just use regular blue/white print cards that one has to take back to NJSP (me being a PA resident)? or is it electronic submitted directly from printer to NJSP?

As far as I know, NJ has subcontracted the fingerprinting to a private company state-wide. No ink or card necessary, it's all electronic.

I believe it is state wide now that Sagem Morpho is used for fingerprinting, I think the PD's were required to switch by late last year, but up until that point it was up to the PD whether or not they switched to digital, but were ultimately forced.

When i went to my police department, they told me that the State Police no longer allows the local police departments to take fingerprints. Yes the finger print company is Sagem Morpho, or Morpho Trak. All of the fingerprints were taken electronically, no ink. All they gave me was a receipt and they electronically send the prints to the police department. My local pd said that after i was done with the prints, there was nothing else that i had to do besides wait.

My local pd said that after i was done with the prints, there was nothing else that i had to do besides wait.

...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait......

• Like 2

...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait......

Hahahaha!

I hope i dont have to wait that long

Do you have to contact two people to make statements for a pistol permit like you do for your fid card ??

Yes.

You have to do 2 references for the Pistol Permit too.

I just found this out myself.

And waiting, and waiting!!!

Thanks again.

UPDATE:

I was able to get a hold of the Detective in charge of applications processing via phone on a Wednesday since that is when the PD processes applications. The Detective was very friendly and told me to stop by that day to begin the process. Once the paperwork was submitted the Detective was diligent about sending out the questionnaires to my references in a prompt manner.

I received my FID and Permits after 29 days. I really appreciated the Detective's professionalism throughout and he even apologized that the process took so long. It's a shame others can't have the same positive experience.

• Like 1

I am getting peeved at this whole process to say the least. I was told 2 to 3 months is the typical wait. Wait for what? The references were back in their hands in two days. Fingerprinting was done the same week the application was submitted. Just what am I waiting for? A "cooling-off" period? I don't wanna stir-up trouble, this is a VERY small town, but 2 to 3 months is rediculous. Is it the State Poilce that tie this up? Or the mental health check? How the heck do they know what hospitals/institutions to even check with? Is there a national database for loonies? Well, yeah there is, the people that applied and received their FID cards, they are all in a database!

Guess I will just keep bugging my friend to go shooting. I won't be allowed to buy a gun for quite sometime............. Rediculous.

Are all states this way? IE: Does every state in this country require an FID card to buy a long gun?

Are all states this way? IE: Does every state in this country require an FID card to buy a long gun?

No, NJ is more the exception than the rule. In the rest of free America all it takes is your DL and a NICS check. Walk-in, pay, walk-out with a gun (handgun or long arm).

Sad but true.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If I already have my SBI number do I have to put down my references again? I had heard that if you haven't applied for a pistol permit in over 2 years (or done a NICS check) you have to pay the full amout for the background check. Any truth to any of that?

References are always required for p2p &/or fid.

According to my PD in South Brunswick, the instruction states:

NOTE:If you have had a full background check for Firearms ID Card or Permits to Purchase within the last 2 years, no fingerprinting is necessary. Only a fee of $18.00 (Certified Check or Money Order) will be collected with your application. Please call number listed below to see if you qualify for this process.

Based on this, they require new prints $60, if over 2 years.

References are always required for p2p &/or fid.

According to my PD in South Brunswick, the instruction states:

NOTE:If you have had a full background check for Firearms ID Card or Permits to Purchase within the last 2 years, no fingerprinting is necessary. Only a fee of $18.00 (Certified Check or Money Order) will be collected with your application. Please call number listed below to see if you qualify for this process.

Based on this, they require new prints $60, if over 2 years.

My assumption is that this is to "protect" those who applied right before and during the transition to fingerprint outsourcing. They are most likely looking to get everyone printed digitally through sagem morpho, and will no longer require prints once you are in that system.