Maksim

Process to Apply for Handgun Permits and FID

I have the STS-33 that the local PD gave me and used it to fill out the blanks and be ready for input into the online .pdf you guys have here. However the rev the fo. I have an 11/03 rev and the online version is much newer, by about 6 years.

How wierd is that?

I have the STS-33 that the local PD gave me and used it to fill out the blanks and be ready for input into the online .pdf you guys have here. However the rev the fo. I have an 11/03 rev and the online version is much newer, by about 6 years.

How wierd is that?

Use the newer one. My Pd was handing me the new one since everyone always comes with the old one....she looked it over and said "You're the first person that did their homework"

After making several trips to the local pd and being turned away for various reasons, "Oh, that officer isnt in today", I finally got printed today at an outside company. Apparently most NJ towns are doing this now? I don't even know what I have to do next as far as waiting goes. Should I go back to PD with my receipt from the fingerprinting company? Will they send my PD my prints and they do the background check? God I hate NJ...

My town wants me to sign an information waiver when applying:

"I ______, do hereby authorize the Veterans Administration, United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Military Reserves, all Law Enforcement Agencies, City, State and Federal Tax Bureaus, Schools, Universities, Physicians, Hospitals and other Institutions, to furnish the Borough of Montvale Police Department with any and all available information and copies of records regarding me in order that they may determine whether my application for a Pistol Permit, Firearms I.D. Card or Pistol Carrying Permit, should be granted by the Montvale Police Department.

I hereby release, discharge and exonerate the Montvale Police Department, its agents and representatives, and any person so furnishing information from any and all liability of every nature and kind arising out of the furnishing, inspection or collection of such documents, records, and other information or the investigation made by the Montvale Police Department."

I have the feeling this isn't a standard form from the State Police...

My town wants me to sign an information waiver when applying:

"I ______, do hereby authorize the Veterans Administration, United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Military Reserves, all Law Enforcement Agencies, City, State and Federal Tax Bureaus, Schools, Universities, Physicians, Hospitals and other Institutions, to furnish the Borough of Montvale Police Department with any and all available information and copies of records regarding me in order that they may determine whether my application for a Pistol Permit, Firearms I.D. Card or Pistol Carrying Permit, should be granted by the Montvale Police Department.

I hereby release, discharge and exonerate the Montvale Police Department, its agents and representatives, and any person so furnishing information from any and all liability of every nature and kind arising out of the furnishing, inspection or collection of such documents, records, and other information or the investigation made by the Montvale Police Department."

I have the feeling this isn't a standard form from the State Police...

This is NOT a standard form. Furthermore, the state law says that what they are doing above is not legitimate. I don't have the time (right now) to obtain the exact statute, but it would be in your best interest to find the appropriated statute (I want to say it's in 2c 39) and make your town aware of it.

Apparently most NJ towns are doing this now

All towns are required to impliment it. Turnaround time is less than a day as no mailings are required. Everything is online.

Not "required". The letter says "may". I read it again last week.

This is NOT a standard form. True Furthermore, the state law says that what they are doing above is not legitimate. I believe that that only applies to extra fees. I don't have the time (right now) to obtain the exact statute, but it would be in your best interest to find the appropriated statute (I want to say it's in 2c 39) and make your town aware of it. It is in the Admin Code.

This is NOT a standard form. True Furthermore, the state law says that what they are doing above is not legitimate. I believe that that only applies to extra fees. I don't have the time (right now) to obtain the exact statute, but it would be in your best interest to find the appropriated statute (I want to say it's in 2c 39) and make your town aware of it. It is in the Admin Code.

Is that the Chapter 54 section? I'm not about to allow them to search my CREDIT REPORT for a PPP and then be unaccountable if they leave it out and someone swipes it. I can't find where it says only those 2 forms are required. If you could provide a link if you know where it is I'd greatly appreciate it. Normally I'm about not rocking the boat, but it took me 6 years to rebuild my credit and I don't know why they'd need that.

This is government overstepping boundaries whether it's legal or not.

Is that the Chapter 54 section?

Yes. For fees only.

Soooo they can require me to sign that and not just sumbit my mental health consent and permit application page?

What are you reading that says that? All I see is that there can be no additional fees.

Not "required".

My department was told that was the requirement. Rolled prints would not be accepted. No idea of the time frame required to convert.

Plus why would anyone in their right mind have the prints rolled, then wait four to six weeks for their return? Not to mention why a department would want to have to handle another chore in the process when it can be done quicker from the outside source?

I did not have to sign this form and wouldn't. If your gathering info on me via the internet, then your responsible for the data being passed. If for some reason that data is leaked, then Montvale (example only) would be liable. That alone, is why I wouldn't sign the form. Everything else I could care less about.

Believe me, I've had paperwork lost by a Government agency. Had all sorts of info, s #'s of the whole family etc.. when I brought it up they said there were misplaced and I would need to resubmit. My response was if you can't account for them, they are lost.

I hope you see the point I'm getting at.

Not "required".

My department was told that was the requirement. Rolled prints would not be accepted. No idea of the time frame required to convert.

Plus why would anyone in their right mind have the prints rolled, then wait four to six weeks for their return? Not to mention why a department would want to have to handle another chore in the process when it can be done quicker from the outside source?

Some departments already had electronic systems in place. Why go to the outside source when your department already OWNS the equipment?

Why go to the outside source when your department already OWNS the equipment?

AFIS that is used by the departments and the outside agency doesn't use the same system. Submissions or applicants are handled differently than criminal submissions. INS submissions was taken from local to the outside agency years ago. There was no other option and this seems to be following the same trend.

We have had AFIS for a few years. Scanning isn't the issue. Submission seems to be why they moved it and the fact that everyone in the agency isn't able to scan the prints. Applicant prints are segregated and in fact under the old system the print card came back to the filing agency unlike criminal where one was retained. While AFIS can print out a hard copy of an applicant card for submission, I'd have to check if it can submit the same electronically. It's all in getting the information to the proper site.

What are you reading that says that? All I see is that there can be no additional fees.

2C:58-3(f) "... There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter."

2C:58-3(f) "... There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter."

THANK YOU, I knew it was there!

I stand corrected.

I was hoping one of our LEO members could help me on this. How do I inform my local department that they are asking for something that is not permited by statute. They have a 2003 version of STS 33 on their website so I know it's not checked regularly. The dept is asking for an information liability waiver.

I can see noboby wants to touch this with a 10 ft pole. Can someone please let me know who at ANJRPC to contact? I want pistol permits and I'm not signing that stupid information waiver.

Just take the appropriate state forms to your PD - tell them you are not signing any other forms and cite the exact sections of the law that prevent them from requesting any other form.

I can see noboby wants to touch this with a 10 ft pole. Can someone please let me know who at ANJRPC to contact? I want pistol permits and I'm not signing that stupid information waiver.

Just take the appropriate state forms to your PD - tell them you are not signing any other forms and cite the exact sections of the law that prevent them from requesting any other form.

Well I guess it's worth a shot. I'm not expecting my deparment to be too receptive though. :/

Then do I run the risk that the Chef can deny my permit? Then I'd have to put that I was previously denied on future permits. :roll:

They have to have a LEGAL reason to deny your permit. "The applicant pissed me off" is not a LEGAL reason.

Or perhaps you are worried that they will list "applicant refused to file extraneous forms not required by law"?