Maksim

Process to Apply for Handgun Permits and FID

I am new to this forum and state and have a few questions. I have tried to educate myself as much as possible by reading, but am spanning out to the members here to confirm my understandings of the laws here in NJ.

I moved from Maryland to Hoboken, NJ about a year ago; and I work in NYC. I own guns in Maryland; which I thought to be pretty liberal (in political ideals) in gun ownership; but now am trying to figure out an even more liberal set of laws in NJ. Maryland has no permit to own or purchase, just to carry; therefore I have never gone through the permiting process.

My understanding of the basic process to buy a gun in NJ:

1. Go to local police department and fill out paperwork required for FID and pay for paperwork processing, permit for each gun, and fingerprinting

2. Police department sends out two references; I was told the references are one of choice and the other is your boss? My boss is obviously out of state since I work in NY; would this be a problem?

3. Use approved permit to purchase gun in allowable time span given.

Is this basically correct? Essentially I just need to obtain an FID and a permit for each future gun purchase to own? What if I want to buy a gun in MD or somewhere else and bring it to NJ? What if I want to bring guns I own in MD up to NJ?

Thanks

I am new to this forum and state and have a few questions. I have tried to educate myself as much as possible by reading, but am spanning out to the members here to confirm my understandings of the laws here in NJ.

I moved from Maryland to Hoboken, NJ about a year ago; and I work in NYC. I own guns in Maryland; which I thought to be pretty liberal (in political ideals) in gun ownership; but now am trying to figure out an even more liberal set of laws in NJ. Maryland has no permit to own or purchase, just to carry; therefore I have never gone through the permiting process.

1. Go to local police department and fill out paperwork required for FID and pay for paperwork processing, permit for each gun, and fingerprinting Yes

2. Police department sends out two references; I was told the references are one of choice and the other is your boss? My boss is obviously out of state since I work in NY; would this be a problem? Correct, and no not a problem.

3. Use approved permit to purchase gun in allowable time span given. Correct

Is this basically correct? Essentially I just need to obtain an FID and a permit for each future gun purchase to own? What if I want to buy a gun in MD or somewhere else and bring it to NJ? What if I want to bring guns I own in MD up to NJ?

Thanks

You bought your guns in MD legally, therefore to bring them to NJ they must first be legal in NJ(IE, evil features game, no mags over 15rds, etc), and then you just bring them here. That's it, no registration, no permits, no nothing. If you want to buy a long gun out of state, just go out of state and buy it(remember it must be NJ legal). Handguns must be purchased in your state of residence.

1. Go to local police department and fill out paperwork required for FID and pay for paperwork processing, permit for each gun, and fingerprinting FPID is for purchasing a long gun, handgun ammunition, and for transporting it outside the exemptions. It is good forever. A Permit is required for each handgun that you wish to purchase.

2. Police department sends out two references; I was told the references are one of choice and the other is your boss? First time I ever heard that you need to use your boss as a reference. What if you are unemployeed? My boss is obviously out of state since I work in NY; would this be a problem? No

3. Use approved permit to purchase gun in allowable time span given. Again, Permit is only for Handgun purchases. FPID is for long gun purchases and does not expire.

Is this basically correct? Essentially I just need to obtain an FID and a permit for each future handgun purchase to own? What if I want to buy a gun in MD or somewhere else and bring it to NJ? Only long guns from a dealer out of state is allowed. Handguns must be sent to a NJ dealer. What if I want to bring guns I own in MD up to NJ? As stated, as long as they are NJ legal, nothing else needs to be done.

Thanks

Two references are two references. One does not have to be your boss, but it could be. Pick whoever you'd like.

The Firearms Purchaser ID is for long guns and handgun ammunition. You may buy a long gun anywhere that you'd like and bring it to NJ assuming it conforms to NJ assault weapon laws. There is no pre-ban/post-ban or grandfathering(there was right at implimentation but that's over). It's just simply banned. As a note, some dealers in some states won't sell a long gun to you due to policy or not wanting to deal with extra paperwork, but this is not a legal issue.

A permit to purchase a pistol is a one off for each pistol. You may consume 1 pistol permit every 30 days, the timing gets snarky so some companies may only sell to you on day 31, or more. The Firearms Purchaser ID is a one time deal, so it is good for as many long guns as you'd like, no monthly limit.

Thanks, very helpful. Someone I work with also lives in Hoboken and told me that the Hoboken PD sent one of his references to his boss at our work place? The other, he had control of. I will question them of this as sending to my boss could kind of be awkward...

Regarding bringing a gun to NJ from MD: if there is no FPID or permit required to bring a legally purchased gun in MD (where I did not need a FID or permit to begin with) to NJ, and the gun meets all NJ requirements, then what would prevent me from going down to Maryland and buying a new handgun and bringing it/using it in Hoboken without an FPID and/or permit? I guess I would not be able to buy ammo up here?

This is the part I am confused about. In other words, how would Hoboken PD or NJ PD know whether or not I brought up a gun that I purchased while living in MD or whether I brought up a gun when I was living in NJ and just went down to MD to visit?

Thanks

Thanks, very helpful. Someone I work with also lives in Hoboken and told me that the Hoboken PD sent one of his references to his boss at our work place? The other, he had control of. I will question them of this as sending to my boss could kind of be awkward...

Regarding bringing a gun to NJ from MD: if there is no FPID or permit required to bring a legally purchased gun in MD (where I did not need a FID or permit to begin with) to NJ, and the gun meets all NJ requirements, then what would prevent me from going down to Maryland and buying a new handgun and bringing it/using it in Hoboken without an FPID and/or permit? I guess I would not be able to buy ammo up here?

This is the part I am confused about. In other words, how would Hoboken PD or NJ PD know whether or not I brought up a gun that I purchased while living in MD or whether I brought up a gun when I was living in NJ and just went down to MD to visit?

Thanks

Once you have a NJDL, you are a NJ resident, and handgun purchases MUST be made in your state of residence. If you go to MD and present your NJDL, you will be told to leave. If you still have a MDDL it would be illegal, and also very tough to prove...

In regards to the references, you put down 2 references, the PD will mail reference forms to these two people, and a third form to your employer, to confirm that your employment is what you put on your application.

Once you have a NJDL, you are a NJ resident, and handgun purchases MUST be made in your state of residence.

what happens to folks with multiple houses in different states? are they required to choose a "main" address?

what happens to folks with multiple houses in different states? are they required to choose a "main" address?

I will say this much... If I were to have a PA and NJ residence, I would be buying my guns in PA. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to maintain a driver's license in 2 states though.

Received 2 handgun permits and used them. Is there a time restriction on when I can reapply for another 2 permits. My PD told me I can only apply for 2 at a time, but I never asked about a timeframe on when to reapply.

Received 2 handgun permits and used them. Is there a time restriction on when I can reapply for another 2 permits. My PD told me I can only apply for 2 at a time, but I never asked about a timeframe on when to reapply.

As I mentioned in your other post, your town cannot limit the amount of permits you apply for. Also, you are more than welcome to apply for permits every day(even before your first set is approved).