JonF

Colliers mills WMA

Does anyone else go there to shoot rimfire, shotguns or smoke poles? I go there to plink and test my .22's when i'm not going to Ft Dix to shoot centerfires. The nice thing about Colliers Mills is that since its a free public range you can shoot at pretty much anything. I personally like to shoot reactive targets such as paintballs, clays, golf balls, hockey pucks, cans, a steel plate gong at 100 yds, spent shells found lying around and the occasional dead computer component when im out plinking. :D I don't shoot glass and always clean up my junk but many folks do not leaving the place littered with trash. :x Sometimes you can reuse someone elses "targets" a bit more and some folks have even left target stands there so you can use them to put up paper targets if you wish. They have 3 covered shooting stations in the middle of the firing line and 4 open air stations flanking them. Its usually pretty empty in the spring and summer but come fall folks are sighting in thier hunting weapons and its gets filled up quite often.

Didn't realize these were in NJ - thanks for bringing this up.

Just checked the website and there seems to be a range pretty much in each county.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ranges.htm

The only restriction is that at least 1 member of the shooting party must have a NJ Current Hunter License in possession.

I didn't know they opened the range back up, it has been closed for a while. Good to know, thanks.

The one and only time I went there was about 11 yrs ago and the people shooting in the pit were scary. Piney scarey and unsafe scarey. they were gathered in a semi circle shooting in any direction except towards the vehicles and passing guns around like they were beers. Another truckload pulled up while we were watching this and they were scarrier than the ones in the pit.

We left in a hurry.

I've only been going to the rimfire range for the past couple years so i don't know the history of its availability, however, there is a dedicated trap range that is now closed for lead remediation. Its been closed for a year or two now and there is no work being done there currently for the remediation plans, nor is there any posted completion/reopening dates.

I've encountered some interesting folks there but nothing yet i would be concerned about (hopefully it stays this way). I do see people trying to shoot trap there since the dedicated trap range closed but trap isn't permitted at this range. I met a cop there once who brought his young son and his duty glock and mini-14 to shoot. he was nice enough and we chatted a bit even though centerfire rifles and handguns aren't permitted there either. He just claims to have been shooting these "for years without any problems". The most interesting thing i've seen though was some pineys that were absolutely filthy after digging around the firing line and the berm all morning for brass and copper. They weren't shooting so they had to stop thier "harvest" when i got there and wanted to use the range. :lol:

But if they do check, someone needs a liscence. This year the state is looking for money and looking to catch anyone they can. I have been fishing one lake for 14 yrs and never saw a Ranger, now they are setting up a camp on the boat launches checking for all paperwork, liscenses and safety courses.

I have been checked at Assunpink while shooting before. Now they do not allow lead shot for skeet, so I havn't been there in a while.

Im looking for a safe place to use up some target rounds I purchased for my shotguns but cant shoot at any indoor range. Anytime you guys plan to go the WMA in Colliers Mills let me know and I will try to meet up. I do not have a hunting license so I would like to meet up with people who do have one.

I purchased 100rds of target shot for my two shot guns thinking they would be range safe but found out the shot is too fine for indoor use.

-Scott

Which area is that Total. Do they still allow lead shot?

I don't know the name but it is posted. It's a fish and game shooting range. Shotguns, 22's and muzzle loaders only. Lead is fine.

Ex 58 make right and follow about two miles on the left.

Must be the Stafford Forge WMA, no?

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ranges.htm

Hunterdon County

Clinton WMA

Route 173W

Clinton

Shotgun, Archery, Muzzleloader (100 yards)

NOTE: Clinton Rifle Range is Closed From 9-11am First & Third Thursdays of Every Month

Morris County

Black River WMA

Route 513 (Dover-Chester Road)

Chester

Shotgun, Archery

Note: Closed weekends from the third Saturday in May through the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend, as well as on the Christmas and Easter holidays. Operating hours are 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. during this summer period, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the rest of the year. Hunter education classes will continue to be held at the range and will not be affected by these hours.

Sussex County

Flatbrook-Roy WMA

Route 615

Layton

Shotgun, Archery, Muzzleloader (75 yards)

Warren County

Pequest WMA

Pequest Road

Oxford

Archery

CENTRAL REGION

Monmouth County

Assunpink WMA

Imlaystown-Hightstown Road

Upper Freehold Twp.

Shotgun (lead-free shot only), Archery

Turkey Swamp

Georgia Road

Freehold Twp.

*special regulations apply call 908-842-4000

Archery

Ocean County

Colliers Mills WMA

Off Colliers Mills and Hawkins Roads

Colliers Mills

Archery, Muzzleloader (50 and 100 yards)

SHOTGUN RANGE CLOSED

Stafford Forge WMA

Off Route 539 south of Warren Grove

Little Egg Harbor Twp.

SOUTHERN REGION

Atlantic County

Makepeace Lake WMA

Elmwood-Weymouth Road

Weymouth

Shotgun, Archery, Muzzleloader (50 yards)

Gloucester County

Winslow WMA

Piney Hollow Road

Monroe Twp.

Archery (50 yards)

SHOTGUN and MUZZLELOADER RANGES CLOSED

Cape May County

Tuckahoe WMA

Off Tuckahoe Road (Route 631)

Tuckahoe

Archery

SHOTGUN RANGE CLOSED

Cumberland County

Millville WMA

Ackley Road (Route 718)

Millville