Jump to content
Cheflife15

Light primer strikes

Recommended Posts

I've been getting light primer strikes lately with my CZ. It's happening mostly with some remington 9mm I bought.  

It has an extended firing pin and is certainly hitting the primer so I don't believe it's that.  Maybe the spring needs replacement?

I did the pencil test and the pencil flew about 7 feet.  Is it just hard primers/crappy ammo?

Gun has about 7/8k rounds through it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s possible it’s the ammo.  Try a box of something from Federal-Federal primers are known to be the ‘softest’.  If you get misfires still, the gun is again the prime suspect  

of course you’ll ultimately want it to run with any ammo, but I’ve known revolvers that can’t seem to get to 100% ignition double action with any other primer  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this ammo was bought during the pandemic where it seems like quality control went out the window. 

I should have taken a picture of the primers today after shooting. Some had some pretty deep indents. 

I shoot da/sa. The thing that was a bit alarming was sometimes it didn't go off on the second attempt of dropping the hammer and sometimes it did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot of crappy factory ammo out there.  A name like Remington and you cant even trust them with your life.  A few different instructors told me that they have been seeing some real shit ammo too.  For me...I'll continue to make my own.  I know it works.  ALL of them.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

There is a lot of crappy factory ammo out there.  A name like Remington and you cant even trust them with your life.  A few different instructors told me that they have been seeing some real shit ammo too.  For me...I'll continue to make my own.  I know it works.  ALL of them.

Handloading is the only real way you can control the quality of all components used! Still no guarantee but I use only CCI primers and I am certain that the proper amount of a good quality powder is there. Not much else you can do! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Handloading is the only real way you can control the quality of all components used! Still no guarantee but I use only CCI primers and I am certain that the proper amount of a good quality powder is there. Not much else you can do! 

I got a bad batch of winchester primers in 2020.  Like every 3rd won't go off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Vdep217 said:

I got a bad batch of winchester primers in 2020.  Like every 3rd won't go off

Shit happens and there is NO way to control it!  CCI is not infallible but it's arguably the best primer available today so that's what I use!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

Just try another type of ammo immediately so you know for sure if it is just that ammo or the gun.

Yeah I gotta make it back out there this week and see. 

Id love to get into reloading but it looks like a lot to take on at the moment. If I buy a set up, I would want something legit so I don't feel the need to upgrade in a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

Yeah I gotta make it back out there this week and see. 

Id love to get into reloading but it looks like a lot to take on at the moment. If I buy a set up, I would want something legit so I don't feel the need to upgrade in a year. 

Lee pro 1000 I run 2.  1 for large pistol primers one for small pistol.  I also have 2 single stage presses for load development 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vdep217 said:

Lee pro 1000 I run 2.  1 for large pistol primers one for small pistol.  I also have 2 single stage presses for load development 

Really not a bad price.  I really only want to reload 9mm and 5.56. I would like to tune my pistol for competition loads.  I shot some 150 grain syntech the other day and it's a  noticeably different recoil impulse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2024 at 5:15 PM, Cheflife15 said:

The thing that was a bit alarming was sometimes it didn't go off on the second attempt of dropping the hammer and sometimes it did.

Check the primers on the ammo you didn't shoot yet. Are they fully seated? If the primer is not just below flush with the back of the case, the first hit can seat it better then the second hit ignites it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2024 at 8:49 PM, Mr.Stu said:

Check the primers on the ammo you didn't shoot yet. Are they fully seated? If the primer is not just below flush with the back of the case, the first hit can seat it better then the second hit ignites it. 

I took some pictures. It's happened now with a few different ammos. Google is telling me these have "harder primers."

The weirdest part, is it's only happening on double action. 

I can't figure out pics, but it's definitely light primer strikes.

It's happened on the following ammo

Seller and bellot

Zqi 

Remington. 

 

Federal/jello shots/outdoor munitions have been going off without any issues.

I'm going to replace the firing pin and spring, but I think it may be time for a new hammer spring too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2024 at 12:30 PM, Cheflife15 said:

I took some pictures. It's happened now with a few different ammos. Google is telling me these have "harder primers."

The weirdest part, is it's only happening on double action. 

I can't figure out pics, but it's definitely light primer strikes.

It's happened on the following ammo

Seller and bellot

Zqi 

Remington. 

 

Federal/jello shots/outdoor munitions have been going off without any issues.

I'm going to replace the firing pin and spring, but I think it may be time for a new hammer spring too. 

All that different ammo and they all have hard primers?  I dont think so. If they shoot fine in single action then there is something wrong with that gun.  Did you try it in any other guns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

All that different ammo and they all have hard primers?  I dont think so. If they shoot fine in single action then there is something wrong with that gun.  Did you try it in any other guns?

I'm fairly sure it's spring related. I did have 1 light primer strike with my other cz at steel challenge. The guys at the steel competition are saying it's most likely a worn out hammer spring. The cz that fails more often has significantly more rounds through it. 

I bought a new extending firing pin, firing pin spring and hammer spring. I'll throw those in there and report back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a baby eagle, which is a 75 pattern gun. I had it give me random failure to fire on hammer drop while still passing the pencil test. It had a bit of swarf from manufacturing left in the firing pin channel that was not very visible. Make sure your firing pin channel is clear. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

I had a baby eagle, which is a 75 pattern gun. I had it give me random failure to fire on hammer drop while still passing the pencil test. It had a bit of swarf from manufacturing left in the firing pin channel that was not very visible. Make sure your firing pin channel is clear. 

I came to say pretty much this. Make sure the firing pin channel is completely clean and free of lube.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...