Sign in to follow this  
coldsolderjoint

Sawed off

I feel bad for looking like a fatty.. but other than that, being a law-abiding gun owner practicing safe gun handling/shooting techniques, I see nothing wrong with this video. Maybe I can encourage other people to modify their guns to their liking and still stay legal.

IMO, Your argument holds as much weight as saying people shouldn't modify their cars because they look stupid.

There are far more irresponsible things on youtube.

You misunderstood my post.... sorry for that.... I have no qualms about you modding the gun.... have at it....

I just get my panties in a tizzie when I see gun videos like that.... Yes, conceded there is worse on Youtube...MUCH worse.... BUT, we are in NJ, this is shown here on THIS board.... With the Pols in NJ say them come across this...what will they think...? AGAIN...MY and MY only .02.... Have a good one and enjoy.... NO FLAME INTENDED, just a quick note to say make sure we are showing a presentable IMAGE as gun owners....

Ok, I get your point. Well Taken, However, What part of my video would you deem to be un-presentable?

[quote name="coldsolderjoint"

Ok' date=' I get your point. Well Taken, However, What part of my video would you deem to be un-presentable?[/quote]

:D

AGAIN JUST ME.... I think if you had a target setup... I think if you did not do the one handed thing.. dunno really.... :?

maybe I am just having a day ! :lol:

There was a target set up and it was in front of a Dirt Berm on an established gun range. You just can't see it because my dad was taking the video and he is not good with cameras.

The funny thing is with that gun, you can actually "aim" better one handed that with two hands because you can look down the barrel. Recoil is not harsh at all for me. Although I can shoot my Mossberg 500 Pistol Grip 12 gauge Pretty accuratley one handed as well (at pistol pit distance), although it is a lot heavier, so with that gun, its better to use two hands.

I'm bumping this thread. Tomorrow I'm taking pics of the H & R shotty. I went to Caso's today and they said the legal length for a barrel is 16 inches. Does anyone know the exact lengths for stock and barrel?

I went to Caso's today and they said the legal length for a barrel is 16 inches. Does anyone know the exact lengths for stock and barrel?

Legal length for a rifle is 16". 18" forr a shotgun and either needs to be at least 26" overall. You're better off adding a little to both as coldsolderjoint did.

I went to Caso's today and they said the legal length for a barrel is 16 inches. Does anyone know the exact lengths for stock and barrel?

Legal length for a rifle is 16". 18" forr a shotgun and either needs to be at least 26" overall. You're better off adding a little to both as coldsolderjoint did.

That makes sense, so 18 1/4 it is. And 26 1/4 inches in length.

18" for the barrel, 26" for the stock.

The barrel is measured by inserting an 18" stick into the barrel with the action closed. If any part of the stick is showing, then you can have a nice time in federal prison.

18.25 would be perfectly legal. It's just a little too close for my comfort level.

Are you going to refinish the stock, or just leave it "cut" like i did.

Please post pics when you are done. Or better yet, before and after :mrgreen:

Here she is

Harrington & Richardson

Topper Model 88

20 gauge 3 inch

010.jpg

She has a little rust on the end of the barrel and on top of the chamber. The wood is cut up a bit on the left side but other than that , she's a shooter!

ok ok , I take back what I said about leaving it alone. Lookin good so far! :p

Thanks Chad

The pipe cutter cut the barrel very clean and with no scratches. The stock will be cut on a table saw so it too will be clean. I'm not sure what to do with the end of the stock though. I also don't know If I want to sand her down and do something crazy like refinish it. But sofar is looks "professional".

I'm really diggin it now, lol, I think I need a similar project :) Are you thinking about refinishing it to natural wood? Or something a little more 'edgy'? Blue? Green? Something different? Maybe Gun Metal Grey??? Did the pipe cutter leave a "lip" on the inside?

Hmmm, now you got me thinking. I don't know what I'm going to do with the wood. There is a tiny lip on the barrel but actually there's a bigger lip on the piece cut off. On the end of the barrel, the lip on the inside isn't sharp, but it's there. Maybe a little filing? Also, don't forget, my old man got this shotgun used. For 35 bucks! If it was brandy new I wouldn't touch it, but if you come across something like this for cheap, why not?

:shock: $35!!!! Wow...awesome deal! Definitley worth chopping up and making into a nice little toy. I've heard that if there is a little lip on the inside of the bbl it can REALLY affect its accuracy. Maybe a little filing can't hurt? I don't know. I filed mine down with a dremel after I used a chop saw. I couldn't use a pipe cutter because it was a ribbed bbl.

You know when you are soddering copper pipe, you have to use that pipe cleaner/brush on the pipe to clean it up? So the sodder will seal around the whole tube? I think one of those brushes is all that's needed. You can find a single shot shotgun like this for well under a hundred bucks at gunshows. Especially the youth models.

There's a pointy triangle thing on your pipe cutter called a REAMER that either slides or folds out. It's for reaming that burr off the inside (but it's designed for copper).

Frankly, I'd use a bandsaw on that stock rather than a table saw.

And for $35 you done good.

Just re-attached the cut pistol grip on the stock. Tomorrow I will post a pic. I don't know what I'm going to do with the end of the stock. Cover it with a piece of rubber? I don't know. I'm problably going to sand down the stock and foregrip but for know she's staying the way she is.

Just finished re-attaching the stock. Here are the numbers.

Original Lenth: 42 inches

cut 7 5/8 inches of barrel

cut 7 inches of stock

New Length: 26 1/2 inches

Here it is

002.jpg

and sitting in my hand

004.jpg