EchoMirage

wolf ammo in AR15

ive used wolf pistol ammo before, with no jams. i know its a cheap ammo, thats why i stockpiled 2K rounds of it several years ago. ive just now gotten around to shooting it, and have had about 8-10 FTEs in maybe 150rds. its a stock operating bushmaster, other then an accuwedge. anyone else have so many jams with wolf .223?

I shot a ton of wolf 45 and 9mm but don't use the 223 anymore. I figured it would be as good as their handgun stuff but it sucks. FTE, FTF, and I had 2 rounds get lodged in the chamber. I had to use a cleaning rod to pop it out. It's not worth it. Save your scratch and buy in bulk. Buy American and buy brass.

depends on the weapon i think..

i shoot wolf .223 all day long in the Saiga.. but would not think about putting it in the AR.. as stated... stick to brass..

I have used wolf almost exclusively in my AR, AK and Glocks for going on 3 years now. It functions fine in all weapons. From late 2006-2008 (spring of 08) I ran a test on my off the shelf bushmaster shooting 7300 rounds of wolf .223 through that gun and never fully cleaning it. All I did was a quick and dirty cleaning of the bolt carrier and run a bore snake through. I believe that 90% of the problems people have with the AR is due to poor maintenance and either over lubrication of the bolt carrier or under lube of bolt carrier.

I think it depends on the gun, I shoot wolf out of my Armalite all the time, never had any problems. I have been on the line with multiple people who have had problems with wolf in their AR's, even after stripping/cleaning/lubing the gun. Run a few boxes to see if Wolf works in your AR before buying a bulk pack.

I tried some wolf and Brown Bear in my Oly arms K16, but only shot around 60 rounds, as I was just breaking it in. Even shot some PMC, had no problems. I don't think I would want to shoot High volume through it in one outing.

mostly have it for my saiga. Will try various ammo for the AR and see what works best. Only get too shoot the long guns once in awhile anyway.

Obviously Wolf is a hit or miss to most of us. So why would you risk ruining your AR for some cheap ammo. For what, to save an extra few bucks cause its the cheapest stuff around? Like I said before, buy American, buy brass, and buy in bulk.

i have been told by several different people who i believe to be reputable that the extractor on the AR does not like the steel cased ammo and may fail... so for me ill just stick with brass... while in an emergency situation i would not hesitate to shoot steel through the AR.. i am not interested in doing it on a daily basis...

i have been told by several different people who i believe to be reputable that the extractor on the AR does not like the steel cased ammo and may fail... so for me ill just stick with brass... while in an emergency situation i would not hesitate to shoot steel through the AR.. i am not interested in doing it on a daily basis...

It fails to extract alright. Just ask Tiny what happened to his AR this past Sunday with Wolf ammo.

It fails to extract alright. Just ask Tiny what happened to his AR this past Sunday with Wolf ammo.

i will assume it was not good and continue to NOT put steel in the AR... :)

I just recently put together my first AR and bought some wolf to use to plink and sight it in with. I put about 60 rounds through it to get the scope dialed in and was shooting at some clays when one fired shell got stuck in the chamber and i couldn't get the bolt to extract with just tugging on the handle. Being new to AR's, i didn't know what to do so I packed it in a brought it home. I was able to pry on the bolt with the upper separated from the lower and get it to unlock and finally tug that shell out but not without some panic and cursing. lol. I don't think i'll be using the wolf any more in this thing. Now that i got the scope dialed in, i'll stick to more consistent and higher quality brass cased ammo since its more of a target barrel configuration.

Buy Brass, Buy American, Buy in bulk

While I generally don't disagree, and I'm all for buying American when I can, I will say that I have a few rounds of PMC thru my AR without any issues (PMC is made in Korea if I remember correctly). Also, Prvi, which is made in Serbia, has a good reputation. Both are brass, and can be bought in bulk. No where near as cheap as Wolf, but, a bit cheaper than Federal or Rem and the like.

When I used Wolf ammo in my AR15 the assembly extractor gets stuck, after 80 or 100 rounds I had to take it a part lubricate and keep shooting. I do not use Wolf ammo any more. For some unknown reason when I used then in the mini 14 the brass gets a scratch mark in the rim and bend the mouth.