EchoMirage

wolf ammo in AR15

i have been told by several different people who i believe to be reputable that the extractor on the AR does not like the steel cased ammo and may fail... so for me ill just stick with brass... while in an emergency situation i would not hesitate to shoot steel through the AR.. i am not interested in doing it on a daily basis...

It fails to extract alright. Just ask Tiny what happened to his AR this past Sunday with Wolf ammo.

yeah that sucked!

I got a few boxes left, but when thats done, Im done with Wolf in the Ars

I got plenty of brass coming in now so if I can get reloading it costs the same anyway to shoot brass

Buy Brass, Buy American, Buy in bulk

I can't say this enough

I shouldn't have to repeat myself, but I will. Just to get the truth out.

Yes. Buy Remington or Winchester then reload them.

Cost is about $400.00 per 1000. Then you can reload them for 1/2 that price.

Mauser - any opinions on reloading PMC or Prvi brass?

They will reload just fine. However they have crimped in primers. It's an extra step to remove them and I just don't bother with brass that has crimped primers anymore.

Dillon make an excellent tool to remove the crimp. I just can't be bother anymore as I have 1000's of pieces of .223 brass laying around.

a range commander told me at cherry ridge that it is infamous for Ftes' because they coat is with a thin layer of lacquer that melts when the rifles heat up

I think that the newer wolf (past year or two) has a polymer coating...

I can't say this enough

I shouldn't have to repeat myself, but I will. Just to get the truth out.

Why doesn't anyone listen to me!

so what should i do with the thousands of rounds of wolf i already own? bury it? ive been laid off since may. if i bought ammo now, and could save $50 or more off a case, i would do so. fee free to buy me the american made ammo of your choice until i get a call for work.

I think there are two main points to be considered and pondered here:

1. It depends on the tolerances of the AR system in question. I have seen many people complain about wolf, and other steel-cased cartridges in tight tolerance Colts and Bushmasters since these brands tend to be of higher quality and less likely to accept low-grade ammo, yet many of the folks shooting looser systems (not always poorer rifles) say that the Russian ammo is fine. Am I making sense here?

2. There has widely been an accepted point of view about Russian ammo that it has some quality control issues. One batch may be "ok" while the next batch not so much. No, I have no idea how many rounds are in a typical batch run.

My experience is that rifle systems that have vicious cycling actions (HKs, AKs, and SKSs for example) can digest Russian ammo with fewer problems than more delicate, higher tolerance actions (ARs and many typical hunting rifles). I also think there is something to be said about the gas system in question. With the AR platform you have a myriad of barrel lengths to choose from. Longer barrels have greater gas pressure buildup, but may not be able to cycle the action better than a shorter barreled rifle. One reason why "M-4" rifles tend to digest things better than "Match" rifles, etc.....the longer the gas has to travel the less "pop" it has even though the barrel pressure on longer barrels is greater.

Then there is the whole piston-driven upper issue with regards to the AR-platform. So far, from what I have seen, these things pretty much take the problem of digesting "poor" ammo and throw it out of the window. Ever see an Hk-416 digest 30 rounds of Russian ammo like a zipper? I have. No problems. I do think the lower operating temps of the piston-driven uppers have something to do with it, though.

Anyway, some things to ponder.

Cheers,

--BMS :ugeek:

so what should i do with the thousands of rounds of wolf i already own? bury it? ive been laid off since may. if i bought ammo now, and could save $50 or more off a case, i would do so. fee free to buy me the american made ammo of your choice until i get a call for work.

I'm sure you can sell it in the marketplace here. The AK's and Saiga's in 223 eat that stuff up.

all i shoot in my stag and noveske is wolf. i same my brass ammo for the zombies =P but in all seriousness, i usually just use wolf for my range trips and the quality ammo when im doing shooting long range and zero-ing. never had an issue with wolf yet, no FTF,FTE, nothing

never had an issue with wolf yet, no FTF,FTE, nothing

Go to the AR forums and see what they think. It's not worth the risk, and like I've said before: Buy American, Buy Brass, and Buy in Bulk!

Go to the AR forums and see what they think. It's not worth the risk, and like I've said before: Buy American, Buy Brass, and Buy in Bulk!

More often than not, you'll see the people that have problems shooting wolf out of their ARs are the ones with Bushmasters, DPMS, Oly, etc...

Rarely will you see guys that shoot Colts, LMTs, DDs, Noveskes, BCMs, etc complain about problems with wolf...

I haven't shot enough wolf to say with any certainty how my ARs will handle it... so far so good (knock on wood).

But, it's all relative - look around and you'll find quite a few recent complaints of Federal XM193. I've seen reports of at least 2 guns in the last 3-4 months that had some pretty serious kabooms that all seem to point to the ammo (xm193) being the culprit. American & Brass. Everyone makes a dud every so often ;)