Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeye

WTK: What brakes and / or compensators are legal in NJ?

Any muzzle brake or compensator is legal in NJ as long as it is permanently attached by silver soldering, welding, pinning, etc.

Flash hiders are NOT legal.

The PWS FSC556 is a combination muzzle brake/flash hider that has been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE and therefore it IS legal in NJ. This would be on my AR if I were installing a muzzle brake all over again.

FSC556: http://www.primaryweapons.com/STORE/PC/ ... dproduct=9

Ok heres an idiotic question (Im sure no one is surprised I'm asking it!)

What is the difference between a muzzle break and a flash hider?

tiny

A flash hider does just that - it hides muzzle flash.

A muzzle brake/compensator diverts muzzle gasses around the muzzle to keep the muzzle from rising during firing, keeping you on target more.

and what makes the FH so freaking evil?

tiny

Liberals.

In all seriousness: nothing. It's a silly law brought to you by the same people who say you can't have a bayonet lug and more than 15 rounds in your magazine.

NFA laws are so :evil:, but understandable at some level I guess. Though, the fact that the BATFE will reportedly not replace the tax stamp if it becomes damaged is quite asinine on their part. If I get the opportunity to live in a more free state, I'll probably get a NFA firearm (probably an SBR, I would never have a need for an automatic or suppressed weapon). Ok, BTT ;)

So if I buy a non compliant AR I will have to pay the FFL Dealer to have it welded or soldered on correct? Along with pinning the stock?

What a pain in the @$$. :o

Most NJ FFL's won't even take delivery on a non-compliant firearm.

Can you just remove it and leave it off for NJ?

You can have an AR without a flash hider or compensator but the barrel cannot be threaded.

Or do they require it to be welded/soldered on only or the option of a non threaded barrel?

Correct.

So it sounds like I am better off having my cousin buy it in PA and have him make it compliant and then do an FFL transfer to NJ to make sure there are no issues if I decide to go with a non compliant model?

Be sure you have a pistol permit, then. I believe they're required for AR purchases IN PA now or will be soon.

Nothing is easy.

Really? Hmm I thought it was considered a rifle and not a pistol.

In PA you mean? Yeah I will have to check into that.. That would be weird since PA Gun Laws are much more gun friendly than NJ.

Thanks

I say that because I recall someone saying that they wanted to purchase an AR at a PA gun show but needed a pistol permit to do so.

It could be a complete brain fart on my end, and if it is, I apologize for any confusion.

Haha.. Thanks for the info though. Its better to know the "what if" before buying anything getting ffl into NJ. I think they require it if your buying just the lower.

In New Jersey it will be almost impossible to own a gun within the next 5-10yrs. Especially if the dems keep coming in office. Corzine's new running mate already stated she has fought the gun lobby for years.

We have to make an effort to get anyone and everyone out to vote this coming election.

So it sounds like I am better off having my cousin buy it in PA and have him make it compliant and then do an FFL transfer to NJ to make sure there are no issues if I decide to go with a non compliant model?

Be sure you have a pistol permit, then. I believe they're required for AR purchases IN PA now or will be soon.

Nothing is easy.

Incorrect. The issue is that the new form 4473 added "other" as a category. FFLs can transfer rifles to out of state residents... but not pistols, or "other".

A stripped receiver has to be marked "other" on 4473 and therefore an out of state FFL cannot transfer it to an out of state resident.

Rather than have someone try to define if it's a muzzle brake or flash hider my ARs have nothing on the muzzle.

If the AR you're looking at has a flash hider (surpressor) it might have a bayonet stud too. NJ legal ARs have a pistol grip so that's the only "evil feature" they can have.

Unless you're getting a super deal you're probably better off just buying an AR that's already NJ compliant.

I just went through all this trying to get an Olympic Arms Plinker Plus. Because of the bayonet lug and flash hider my FFL said they will not accept the Gun. I called the shipper and they had to recall it back right after shipping it out on Thursday. I checked it made it all the way here to Jersey before turning around to go back. So, I decied to go with the K 16 model.

http://shop.peachstateguns.com/product. ... egoryId=71

They even threw in a holo sight for me at no extra charge. I would prefer Iron sights, will look into the A2 carry handle and front sight but other wise not a bad deal. And they sending a rear flip up sight to but they out of the front ones.