Sign in to follow this  
sparny524

Taurus Revolvers?

Anybody have one? Any reviews? I am interested in the Taurus 85 series (.38, snub-nose) for a CC gun. I was watching a review on youtube (video by Nutnfancy... he posts some great reviews) and aside from having a gritty trigger and a larger than usual cylinder, it matches the S&W in all aspects, except on price. Any advice would be appreciated!

I just bought a Taurus Tracker in .357 with the 6+" barrel. Took it to the range and discovered it had a headspace issue and would lock up at random times It's back in FL for repair/replacement.

When it worked, it was really nice. The long, ported barrel sucked up the recoil, and the ribbed grip conforms to my hand and feels like a custom grip. The trigger seemed fine, but I don't know if I would recognize a gritty trigger if it jumped up and bit me. I like the fit and finish, especially the matte gray steel, but that was my first revolver so my experience is limited.

I have no experience with their revolvers, but I do have their 1911 and its growing on me. Nice, gun...solid shooter, like ken I would not know a gritty trigger from a hole in the wall (I'm not even sure what a gritty trigger feels like) but I've never had any problems thus far. I also have a judge, but have not shot it yet.

I have a 608 (Large Framed, 8 shots of .357).. and love it. Never had a problem with it, and its very accurate.

It doesn't have as nice of a trigger as an Smith or a Ruger, but for the price it can't be beat. I would say the trigger is "looser/sloppier" than a GP100 or a Smith, but not "gritty".. lol.. I guess all those terms are subjective anyways.

My dad has a judge and likes it, but it seems that the revolver doesn't like some ammo for some reason.

I own the 85 taurus and was going to use it for CC too! :p

I've shot all kinds of rounds threw it. (old reloads, CCI pellet shot, +P HD, blazer aluminum, cheap stuff, and good stuff) Never had any issues and I recommend it for the quality and price.

IMG_1652.jpg

I've added the hogue grips because I like to have all my fingers on the firearm. If I do use it for CC, the stock grips will go back on.

I own 3 Taurus revolvers (made in 1988 to 1992). A Model 85 (2" J frame size) and 2 K frame sized 357s (4" blue and 6" stainless). The only issue I had was the screw holding rear sight on the 4" worked loose while I was cranking off magnums and the rear sight flew off. This was partly my fault as I shouls have checked it. Replaced by Taurus free with a 2 week turnaround.

I don't see anything wrong with Taurus quality (that goes for the PT1911 and PT99AF I own also). The triggers on Taurus revolvers are not as good as S&Ws or Rugers as a rule but are not something you can't work with. My 85's trigger is smoother than any S&W J frame of that era and the sights are a little better. I had a S&W Model 19 that was going out of time and suffering severe flamecutting after a few thousand rounds. I have at least twice as many rounds out of my Taurus 357s and still have no problems.

Outside of some reported problems with the PT1911 (mine is trobule free) it seems to me that many of the complaints about Taurus being of inferior quality is very exagerated. I wouldn't hestitate to buy any Taurus product I felt met one of my needs or wants.

+1 on Griz's comment. Taurus are cheaper than Ruger and S&W but they aren't as cheap as say Hi-Point and Larcin.

I forgot to mention that I put a little bit of nail polish (hot pink) on the front sight so I could see it.

Taurus are cheaper than Ruger and S&W but they aren't as cheap as say Hi-Point and Larcin.

Don't confuse price with quality. Taurus is light years ahead of Hi Point and Lorcin as far as quality. I would rate Taurus quality along with S&W or Ruger when it comes to strength, durability, or engineering. The triggers are just not as nice as a S&W or Ruger.

I purchased a model 82 (38 special) in May for use in IDPA SSR and ESR divisions. I had multiple malfunctions - cylinder jamming, bullets breaking apart in the barrel and difficulty opening the cylinder after a jam. I felt llike I was bothering their customer service reps when I called, one told me thay would send Fed-ex to the house to pick it up, when I called back to make the final arrangements I was told I had to send it out myself. I got it back within the 5-6 weeks quoed to me. It appears to function well with dummy/practice ammo but I haven't shot it with live ammmo yet. In hind sight I should have saved for a couple extra weeks, (less then the time it was out for repair) and got a smith.

No firearms are perfect. Even top-of-the-line stuff turns out to be junk. My fathers good friend, and ex cop, bought a kimber 1911. He took it to the range and after a few rounds, the gun stopped running. Turns out the trigger was broke and he had to send it to the manufacturer for a re-fit.