Scottcba1

Cleaning Kits

I picked up what I thought was a nice all around cleaning kit for my shotguns and handgun till I opened it today to do some cleaning. It does have barrel brushes as well as different size barrel cloth plungers and came with some patches as well. But it didnt come with any cleaner or lubricant!!! :evil:

I guess its my fault for not reading the packaging before buying it. So no Im off to Dicks again for some cleaner/lub. Any suggestions on what to use and what not to use?

-Scott

I picked up what I thought was a nice all around cleaning kit for my shotguns and handgun till I opened it today to do some cleaning. It does have barrel brushes as well as different size barrel cloth plungers and came with some patches as well. But it didnt come with any cleaner or lubricant!!! :evil:

I guess its my fault for not reading the packaging before buying it. So no Im off to Dicks again for some cleaner/lub. Any suggestions on what to use and what not to use?

-Scott

Remoil, breakfree clp are good. Some folks use Hopps #9 but you need to take car to thoroughly get it off of aluminum/nickel/chrome and for that reason, I just stick to the others.

Remoil, breakfree clp are good. Some folks use Hopps #9 but you need to take car to thoroughly get it off of aluminum/nickel/chrome and for that reason, I just stick to the others.

Thanks! I dont want anything too perticular to work with so I will keep that in mind with the hopps#9

-Scott

I have walmart brake cleaner..., hoppes 9, and hoppes gun oil.

I found the hoppes starter kit for like $15 is great to get you going, but the brushes and rods brake apart.

best place for hoppes is Walmart, if yours stocks it. $3 for a nice bottle of it that dicks sells for $10.

I generally use rem-oil for cleaning and

I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Engine Oil for Lube. I forget the weight. I have the bottle out in the shed. ~$4 for a QUART, will last damn near a lifetime. I've been using it for over a year and have yet to go through 1 or 2 ounces, just a bit on the tip of a q-tip goes a long way.

My guns are MUCH MUCH smoother since I switch from Hoppes Gun Oil.

I actually purchased the Shooters Choice 3 step kit from Dicks today....mainly becuase I got it for free with a coupon so I figure I would try it and if I didnt like it, well I didnt spend anything either!

My SR9 was very easy to clean, I guess since I dont have a ton of rounds through it yet that would make for easy cleanup. The shotguns on the other hand were more of a pain. Seemed like the patches were never gunna come out clean. I ended up spending over an hour and a half on both shot guns and ten to twenty minutes on the SR9.

After all was said and done all three guns came out nice and clean and the 12ga seems to be functioning a lot better so hopefully next time out I can get some shells through her.

Thanks for the helpful hints....

-Scott

I actually purchased the Shooters Choice 3 step kit from Dicks today....mainly becuase I got it for free with a coupon so I figure I would try it and if I didnt like it, well I didnt spend anything either!

My SR9 was very easy to clean, I guess since I dont have a ton of rounds through it yet that would make for easy cleanup. The shotguns on the other hand were more of a pain. Seemed like the patches were never gunna come out clean. I ended up spending over an hour and a half on both shot guns and ten to twenty minutes on the SR9.

After all was said and done all three guns came out nice and clean and the 12ga seems to be functioning a lot better so hopefully next time out I can get some shells through her.

-Scott

You need tampons

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu9_2.htm

-Scott

I tend not to worry so much about the shotguns since their is no rifling to get clogged up with lead.

I agree with Coldsolderjoint

I also think that the amount of crap that comes out of a shotgun shell, whats the point of going too crazy with cleaning it anyway. One shot and its a filthbag anyway

I try to get them as clean as possible, but in the end if theres still a little black on the pads, I eventually just call it a day

I agree with Coldsolderjoint

I also think that the amount of crap that comes out of a shotgun shell, whats the point of going too crazy with cleaning it anyway. One shot and its a filthbag anyway

I try to get them as clean as possible, but in the end if theres still a little black on the pads, I eventually just call it a day

I did end up sayin screw it, they are clean enough but thanks for given me the heads up....not gunna waste so much time and cleanin supplies next time.

-Scott

That you were calling me a girl there for a minute! lol.....

That looks like the cheaper and easier way to take care of the situation though. Thanks!

-Scott

Not if the girlfriend is paying for it :lol:

They are also good for nose bleeds and gun shots.

I used to use Gunscrubber but have switched to CRC brake cleaner, much cheaper. Matter of fact, that's what Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat used in their recent maintenance CD you get with new pistols.