Malsua

.44 Magnum revolvers

I'm interested in getting a .44 magnum. My step dad owns a Ruger .44 with a 10 inch barrel that I've probably run 500 rounds through.

I'm leaning towards one of the Rugers, like the Super Red Hawk with the Hogue grips but I'm in the very early stages right now.

I want at least a 7 1/2in barrel for weight and accuracy. This is for keeping goblins and bears away ;) but I want something that's fun to shoot.

Anyone else have much experience with a .44? I've shot some snubbies over the years and frankly have no interest in those angry beasts. The long barrel makes it much more fun to shoot since your hand doesn't get beat up as much.

NJ-Tom has one that I shot a few weeks ago. It's a bit intimidating at first, but not nearly as much of a beast as I thought it would be. Probably not cheap to shoot, but tons of fun, and the rest of the line just stops and watches when that monster goes BOOM!!!

+1 on those short barrels. my old man has a S&W 44 mag with a 4 in barrel and after 20 or so rounds your just about finished. He has a ruger super redhawk (i think) with a long barrel and that's a blast!

I like that stealth hunter but yeah, pricey.

The 44 mag was much more intimidating with flame and harsh recoil approx 15 years ago, all from off the shelf factory loads. Unfortunately over the years factory loads have become less powerful, this holds true for the 357mag, 10mm and the 44mag. I have a 6" S&W 29 , which is a lot of fun but as Ken stated expensive to shoot.

The 44 mag was much more intimidating with flame and harsh recoil approx 15 years ago, all from off the shelf factory loads. Unfortunately over the years factory loads have become less powerful, this holds true for the 357mag, 10mm and the 44mag. I have a 6" S&W 29 , which is a lot of fun but as Ken stated expensive to shoot.

I don't imagine that I'll be putting tons of lead downrange with it. My primary goal with this firearm is the occasional fun target shooting and for bears. I have no intention of shooting bears but if we get another break in, I want to make sure I can hold off the threat until I can get the 12ga ready.

Consider a single action revolver. I have the Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk. The recoil doesn't go straight back into your hand the way a double-action revolver does. It simply swivels up in your hand. The Ruger is also built like a tank. It's the one specified in the reloading manuals when some loads are marked as "for Rugers only". It can take whatever you dish out. If you don't have a single action revolver already, this would be a good one to get.

I purchased mine as a side arm for bear hunting, but never had the chance to go..

the 9.5 in becomes front heavy.. very cool though...

The one I've shot quite alot is an older Ruger with a 10 inch barrel. It was front heavy but it didn't bother me. I don't hunt bears, but I've had one half way in the house 2 years ago this week. Wife ran him off but had we been asleep he'd have been ALL the way in. I was asleep, but she was watching TV and ran him off with some stout poles we had in the house. Next time I may have to kill it.

Finally got my permits.

If anyone sees a deal, ping me to it. I'm in north Jersey.[/quote

Call Frank at Caso's Gun a Rama, he is in Jersey City

Have Matt drive you down. He can stand guard while you shop.

Flash a piece of tin foil in front of him and it's "Oooh, shiny" and there goes the car.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wuv you guys, no where else can I get this type of treatment, you guys truly are special!

Have Matt drive you down. He can stand guard while you shop.

Flash a piece of tin foil in front of him and it's "Oooh, shiny" and there goes the car.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wuv you guys, no where else can I get this type of treatment, you guys truly are special!

I can't believe that. I'm sure you get this kind of abuse from everyone you know. It's like having a permanent "Kick Me" sign on your back.

If you ever want to go..... let me know. I will go.... its not too bad of an area, but I do wish I could carry when walking to and from my truck....

Thanks. I genuinely don't go to Jersey City unless there's absolutely no other choice. Weehauken is fine...further south than that, forget it.

If you ever want to go..... let me know. I will go.... its not too bad of an area, but I do wish I could carry when walking to and from my truck....

Thanks. I genuinely don't go to Jersey City unless there's absolutely no other choice. Weehauken is fine...further south than that, forget it.

Most of my Mom's Family lives there.. I try to leave before it gets dark. :lol: