223lover

One gun a month in effect now?

I went to Hackettstown guns today and was told that the State police called

this morning and they put the OGAM law in effect starting today! So i took my

PTP and went back home. I bought one at the beginning of the month so Im done

til September. The permit will be up by then. Have to renew I guess. Jersey sucks!

Thats BS...pure and simple...the OHAM law doesnt go into effect for 5 months or so.....Either your FFL is lying or the Police are...

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/nj/20090707_Corzine_s_gun_law_may_see_changes.html

8th paragraph down reads:

"The law, which would make New Jersey the fourth state in the nation with a one-handgun-per-month limit, would go into effect five months after Corzine signs it, pushing the effective date into late this year or early 2010. That leaves time for revisions."

I went to Hackettstown guns today and was told that the State police called

this morning and they put the OGAM law in effect starting today! So i took my

PTP and went back home. I bought one at the beginning of the month so Im done

til September. The permit will be up by then. Have to renew I guess. Jersey sucks!

NO your not done until september, the bill goes into effect 5 months after signing, not the day of the signing, not 45 days after signing, 5 damn months, AKA, 01/2010

if your local FFL is telling you this, you need to find a new dealer, because your current dealer is clearly uninformed. Go back and tell them, "you don't want my business, fine, I will just take my purchases to a dealer that ACTUALLY READS the Laws."

and in response to another poster, the law is one handgun a month, it does NOT apply to long guns, yet.

Thanks all, I dont know where the SNAFU started there, but that is what the salesman told me. I thought it was unusal but hey Im on the other side of the counter. What do I know? I will go to Meltzer's and see what toys they have to waste my money on. :D

With all those permits out there, how are they going to stop you? Through the NICS check? :roll:

I thought the law requires that NICS information only be active for 48 hours, and the record deleted after that

With all those permits out there, how are they going to stop you?

When the copy of the permit goes to the NJSP they will be able to see the dates of transfer. I imagine enforcement will be the NJSP's responsibility as there is a matter of jurisdiction. If you live in Hackensack and you buy the gun in Cape May the "offense" will be committed in Cape May. Cape May PD, Cape May County Prosecutor's Office, or NJSP would have jurisdiction.

That's an awful lot of people chasing you because you bought a matched set of .22's at an estate sale. I truly can not see the logic of this law. Even if I agreed with the logic, (which I don't) i fail to see how this is going to stop gun crimes. Did anybody ever look at the pile of junk the police show on those tables in the newscasts? I wouldn't own one any of that crap because i would be afraid it would blow up in my face.How about this for a law? Do any of the heinous crimes rape, robbery, murder, kidnapping etc. with a gun and they lock you up and throw away the key. What ever happened to the commit a crime with a gun and you do mandatory 5 years law? We would have to have our own Devil's Island or better yet, if they the gang bangers want to shoot so much ship 'em to Iraq and bring our loving children home. So now I have to go and be sure Im not smoking in the park, have my seat belt on, and shut off the cell phone, Thank God I can still have my runny eggs. What would i do without State government.Just my humble opinion.

You do realize this law is worse then expected right?

IF YOU WANT A HANDGUN,

YOU BETTER BUY IT NOW!

By Evan Nappen, Esq.

June 30, 2009

"Retail Dealers will only be able to obtain one handgun a month from any source except another Retail Dealer (who is not likely to sell any of their dwindling inventory to another dealer.) As dealer inventories sell out, they will not be able to replace it except at the worthless pace of one gun a month. In a short time, there will be no handguns left for dealers to sell."

Handgun sales and purchases by New Jersey Retail Dealers are going to virtually end after November 2009. This is because the New Jersey legislature hurriedly passed the so-called

This law is pretty confusing. I was just in the local PD picking up a permit and I asked the Officer responsible for issuing permits when it would be in effect. He said he thought it was October but he really didn't have any information on it and doubted they would even let him know when it was in effect. So if the local PD doesn't know how it works how are we supposed to. And what happens if you do decide in the future to pick up something like a Beretta Stampede Matched set? Pay for it and ask your FFL or dealer to hang on to one of them for a month? I don't think a lot of thought went into this law before they passed it.

This law is pretty confusing. I was just in the local PD picking up a permit and I asked the Officer responsible for issuing permits when it would be in effect. He said he thought it was October but he really didn't have any information on it and doubted they would even let him know when it was in effect. So if the local PD doesn't know how it works how are we supposed to. And what happens if you do decide in the future to pick up something like a Beretta Stampede Matched set? Pay for it and ask your FFL or dealer to hang on to one of them for a month? I don't think a lot of thought went into this law before they passed it.

Yes you will have to wait tillthe following month to pick up the other pistol.

Since the '60's there have been no pro Second Amendment right's for us in NJ and your correct, no common sense ever figured into one either.