Sign in to follow this  
n4p226r

what exactly is adjustable parallax and what problems

are caused if you dont have it.

i am looking at 22lr rifles. seems most scopes have a fixed parallax at around 60 yds. if i wanted a 22lr rifle to shoot at 25, 50, and 100 yards, would i need a scope with adjustable parallax? even though the guns are cheap id like a nicer scope if possible. just wondering what kinda scope would be best.

Since the rifle barrel and the scope are not completely inline, there is a slight difference in where they are aiming, this is called parallax.. In theory, it is the actual distance between the barrel and the scope (or red dot). Most of the better manufactures set a distance where they want the images to converge (lets say, for example, 50 yards) and adjust their optics to converge at that point. Practically any optic can be set to converge at a different distance, that is why you have elevation and windage adjustments, but the velocity, weight if the bullet and gravity also has an effect on it. It a physics thing! A bullet fired out of a weapon will always take the same time to hit the ground from a given height (assuming it is fired perfectly horizontally), but a higher powder charge will enable it to travel farther in that given time.

For our purposes, we adjust our optics for the bullets we use at a set distance and that is good enough for our needs. If you are out hunting, the better scopes (sometimes referred to military reticles) will have lines so you can adjust your aim for various distances without adjusting the elevation settings. Of course, then you have to be able to judge how far away your target is.

On my .22s, I have a fairly inexpensive scope so I set it for the max distance at my range (which in indoor so it is only 25 yards) and adjust my aim for different distances.

are caused if you dont have it.

i am looking at 22lr rifles. seems most scopes have a fixed parallax at around 60 yds. if i wanted a 22lr rifle to shoot at 25, 50, and 100 yards, would i need a scope with adjustable parallax? even though the guns are cheap id like a nicer scope if possible. just wondering what kinda scope would be best.

You realize that you can adjust the reticle to put the bullet dead on at any range regardless of the parallax? They simple pick a best compromise distance and adjust it there. You just want a parallax distance close to the distance you intend to sight the gun in at. This is done so that if you are either side of that distance the firearm remains reasonable close to on target.

Most rifle rounds stay flat to at least 50 yards. Weak rounds start dropping lower here, powerful rounds start to rise here. This is likely why they are fixed at 60 yards.

thanks for the info guys. i guess it seems that for a rimfire rifle, using for 100 yards and less (mostly at 30-50 yards) im not going to need to worry too much about the adjustable parallax. im looking at different rifle options now but i want to get a nice scope for it no matter what i get, in case i decide to upgrade the gun later. two that seem to get good reviews and arent too insanely priced are the leupold rimfire series. im thinking if i can find a good used 2-7x28 scope id be good to go. or would i be better off with the 3-9x33

Have you looked at Mueller scopes?

I have this: http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU2732IGR.html (2x7x32) on my Remington Model 5. Matt and Rich(and maybe others) have used it. I think it's perfect. Crystal clear and has a red dot if you'd like. Holds true.

I got it off ebay for $139 new in box.

Leupolds are great scopes but so is my Mueller. Shrug. You might just look at them.

I'm really into magnification but either of those Leupold scopes will do you just fine.