Sign in to follow this  
bullpin

Open carry in pa

Yes OC is certainly legal here in Pa with no LTCF needed. When you get in the car and the gun is loaded that is when you will need a LTCF or when you wish to conceal carry.

Yes OC is certainly legal here in Pa with no LTCF needed. When you get in the car and the gun is loaded that is when you will need a LTCF or when you wish to conceal carry.

Don't forget a LTCF is also needed for carrying in Philli and is the only city in PA that requires it.

You are correct.

Open carry is legal in PA but the problem is getting to PA with the gun in a legal manner.

You cannot just put the gun in your trunk and drive over the Delaware, then take it out and load it and start walking around open carrying, then unload for the trip home. There are only certain situations where you are allowed to travel with your gun in a car without an LTCF even in PA. The most common is going to and from a range.

Open carry is legal in PA but the problem is getting to PA with the gun in a legal manner.

You cannot just put the gun in your trunk and drive over the Delaware, then take it out and load it and start walking around open carrying, then unload for the trip home. There are only certain situations where you are allowed to travel with your gun in a car without an LTCF even in PA. The most common is going to and from a range.

Which part of traveling into and out of PA with the gun unloaded in the trunk is illegal? That's how you're supposed to transport if you don't have a CCW recognized by PA.

Which part of traveling into and out of PA with the gun unloaded in the trunk is illegal? That's how you're supposed to transport if you don't have a CCW recognized by PA.

I think the problem lies if you are not traveling to or from a range..... or thru the state to a further destination, it becomes a grey area on if its legal to transport the firearm across the state line....

I dont know if this is true..... but I think thats what he is trying to say.....

The part where you are not going hunting (with a valid hunting license) or somewhere to shoot the gun at an approved range or have it looked at by a gunsmith or selling it. You are not supposed to be transporting it anywhere just for the hell of it, loaded or not. I don't make up the laws, I think we have too many as it is.

http://www.nraila.org/media/misc/nj.htm

No permit needed:

To transport any firearm, in the manner described in paragraph 2 above, while traveling:

a. Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided such person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

b. Directly to or from any target range or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions: or

c. Directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any gun club or gun collectors' club for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to members of such organization or club, provided that not less than 30 days prior to such exhibition or display notice shall be given to the Superintendent of State Police by the sponsoring organization or club and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate.

For any other use, a permit is required.

One exception might be if you have a residence or place of business in PA, you can transport it there, then OC while in PA

Coops, that's NJ law, not PA law. NJ law does not apply once you enter PA. PA does not require registration, or a permit to own or open carry. Only concealed carry requires a license, either issued or recognized by PA.

Granted NJ law does not apply in PA, but how are you going to get to PA if you start in NJ?

And anyway, PA law is very similar.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/PASL.pdf

Pennsylvania law:

No license is required:

(1) to carry a handgun in one

Carrying inside a vehicle means exclusively inside the passenger compartment. This does not apply to unloaded transport in the trunk. No license is required for that.

The provision for vehicle carry means you may only have the gun on your person while inside a car if you have a carry license issued by any state (but not necessarily outside the car).

You are allowed under FOPA to transport across state lines, provided the firearms are unloaded and in the trunk. That federal statute exempts you from state laws while in transit.

PA allows for open carry without a license, regardless of how you or the firearm got there.

I did not know that the Federal statute exempts one from State law. That's good to know.

I still maintain that it is illegal to transport a gun in a car in PA without a license even unloaded in the trunk unless you can prove one of the exceptions.

So going to a muster point (like a friends house) then to a range is fine.

Driving to your vacation home in the Poconos is fine.

Going shopping in Reading with an unloaded gun in the trunk is not OK. You can OC while you are there, but getting there does not provide you with an exception. At least that's how I read the statute.

If you are saying it is OK because the shopper is from another state (and Federal transportation laws apply) but it would not be OK if the shopper was from inside PA (because only PA state law applies), then that is messed up.

I new it was legal to open carry in pa,but I did not know that a non resident could also.

Keep in mind there is no law in PA that says you can open carry. What makes it legal is there is no law that says you can't open carry. There are very few state laws that apply to residents only. If you go to VT or AK you can carry concealed without any kind of permit.

Before you go doing something with guns in any state you need to familiarize yourself with that state's laws.

So, say for example I am going to my sister's house in PA tomorrow. I can case and lock my pistol in my trunk, ammo in the cabin when traveling to her house. When I get to her residence, I bring the aforementioned items inside with me. Load the pistol and holster it openly on my strong side. Go out and walk around town for the evening. Totally legal as a NJ res?

So, say for example I am going to my sister's house in PA tomorrow. I can case and lock my pistol in my trunk, ammo in the cabin when traveling to her house. When I get to her residence, I bring the aforementioned items inside with me. Load the pistol and holster it openly on my strong side. Go out and walk around town for the evening. Totally legal as a NJ res?

Don't know about the PA part, but the ammo should go in the trunk too, unless you lock it in a case. Neither have to be cased if in the trunk.

i always lock my ammo in the glove compartment... in nj. When I'm in VA I roll with the gun loaded and holstered on my dash :D

You know it is not legal, right? You are just being sarcastic, right? :?

As far as I can tell this is a grey area when dealing with NJ, but I've known people who have transported through jersey before to visit another state and they have a Florida CCW to deal with the rest of the states. Ultimately as long as you don't do anything stupid like doing burn outs in a parking deck or anything else that draws attention to you while transporting you should be fine.

When I was waiting for my permits I called the state police and asked them about this question of going in to PA. The answer they gave me was, as long as your firearms are unloaded , in the trunk or locked box in the cab, if the ammo is in the cab it needs to be in a separate locked box NOT IN THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT . You are legal to transport to and from where ever you are going to shoot. This includes entering and leaving the state. But they made a point to say this only applies when you are in NJ when you cross the state line out of NJ you need to obey the laws in that state.

So the law says