mikeyboyeee

DO I need to show and FID card when I go to the range?

I will be changing address when I get my new FID card (well, fairly soon after) and was wondering if I had to show it at the range if I go between when I file for address change and when I get new card.

I will be purchasing gun and ammo before changing address, so no worries there.

It depends on the range. The public ranges I have been to do not require a FID (Shore Shots, BA). Most all club applications have had a requirement to have a FID though. So, probably be best to check with whatever range you're going to.

Since they didn't care about the aluminum-cased, berdan-primed (Blazer) ammo I was shooting the last time I was there (And I asked to be on the safe side), I would suspect there's a different reason for it.

Shore Shot apparently doesn't allow the Blazer stuff, though - I suspect to avoid having to de-aggregate it from their brass bins. (IIRC they ban both aluminum and steel cases)

There is also a widespread bit of misinformation that Wolf, Tiger & S&B are steel core/AP. I think its partially because of the steel cases (except the S&B of course) and partially because they equate it with surplus, some of which was AP. Its also due to the fact they get more for the used brass and dont want to have to weed out the steel cases.

You will not be able to retrieve anything in front of the firing fine at an indoor range but anything else should be yours to keep if it's your ammo.

In the past, some ranges required the turning in of brass if it was their reloads.

When I first went to bullet hole, I had no FPID or permits, nothing. I merely drooled over the offerings and asked questions. They specifically asked for my FPID before they would let me touch anything. I'm certain it was because they had never seen me before. I was such a nervous puppy. Once I got my FPID, permits and actually a pistol to shoot, I went back and I don't recall being asked when I bought range time. They probably did ask me but I don't remember. During a recent Glock day there I was asked, when I bought 20 rounds of 10mm to shoot the glock rep's g20. Had to leave the FPID with him while a RO took me in to shoot it.

I think for the most part once you become a known quantity they don't require to see it. I keep mine in my wallet, and never leave home without it, ever.

unclenunzie

I carry mine all the time in my wallet as well. Never been carded except when a) fondling the merch at NJ firearms guild, b) buying ammo (.22 and 9mm) except at Shore Shot for use on premises.

NOT carded at Shore Shot for rental after the NRA Basic Pistol course with Bob, nor at Bullet Hole for walk-on. Nor did Shore Shot card me for buying ammo to feed their rentals, nor to feed my own for on-premises use.

I do carry it any time I am transporting firearms (and would even if I didn't have it in my wallet). As I've mentioned before NJ code allows the posession of rifles/shotguns outside the limitations of normal carry (subject to the same restrictions as a handgun carry permit, so no posessionin an educational institution). Not owning a rifle, that's a bit of a curiosity for me.