CPRPE

Holsters

So I am thinking of trying some competitive shooting or at least taking some tactical classes where a holster is required. Is there anywhere in NJ where I can try a few before purchase? To make things more difficult, I am left handed. I have: Ruger GP100, Springfield XdM in .40SW (comes with RIGHT handed holster...No plans for offering a lefty). In the next few weeks I will be the proud owner of a Kimber Custom Crimson Trace 1911 and hopefully a Beretta 92FS. (Waiting on permits 26 days). I looked on the web and there are all kinds of things available. A little guidance would be appreciated.

So I am thinking of trying some competitive shooting or at least taking some tactical classes where a holster is required. Is there anywhere in NJ where I can try a few before purchase? To make things more difficult, I am left handed. I have: Ruger GP100, Springfield XdM in .40SW (comes with RIGHT handed holster...No plans for offering a lefty). In the next few weeks I will be the proud owner of a Kimber Custom Crimson Trace 1911 and hopefully a Beretta 92FS. (Waiting on permits 26 days). I looked on the web and there are all kinds of things available. A little guidance would be appreciated.

If you call up Springfield, they won't send you a lefty? I know they do with the regular XD's.

if youre going to take a tactical class, Id use one of your hi cap handguns, one you wont worry getting dirty, or slamming muddy / wet mags into.

Depending on the course, youll be practicing reloads, and you let them drop onto the ground... water, mud etc. You also will reuse them dirty mags.

Only reason Im saying this is I saw some guys with really nice sigs etc not wanting to get them all fubared up.

Re holster, check out Blackhawk SERPA and also Bladetec (bladetec sells a nice kydex without retention so its less to worry about when doing drills). 5.11 sells holsters made by bladetec (many of them are not sure if all).

Re. mag carrier, get a double but not one with straps that hold the mags in. They are a pain in the butt for these courses. Bladetec sells a combo holster / carrier.

Good luck let us know your thoughts / decisions.

PS- my choices are a Glock 19 with bladetec (holster mag carrier combo).

make sure you try the holster,i also own a kimber crimson carry and found it difficult to find a holster that did not interfear with the laser.it might be harder for you because of the southpaw.a friend of mine uses a serpa blackhawk for a glock in order to fit the 1911 with crimson grips.

Holsters are a very subjective thing. What works for one person, will not work for another. Unfortunately, since we live where we live, getting to try out a few different holsters is very difficult. Depending on the type of class, you may be able to get away with any old holster - whatever's cheapest basically. You can probably pick up something like a Fobus for like 20-40 bux depending on the particular set up.

My personal choice is to spend a couple more bux and get a better product. Some brands to consider: BladeTech, CompTac, Raven Concealment, & Safariland. I'm not a big fan of the release mechanism on the Blackhawk Serpa, but some people like them a lot.

At a "tactical" class I recently took, I ran a G-Code holster. No issues with it. Altho it was a shotgun class, and not a handgun class, so pistol time was limited. If I was taking a handgun specific class, I would run my Raven Concealment rig.

Sadly, you may end up with a drawer full of holsters before you find the one you like best.