Wolfy

1903A3

I have beem thinking about buying one of these for awhile and found a nice one today at BA. Has all the correct cartouches and the barrel is stamped 1-13. Has been redone by the armory and the stock is ok but is the correct color. The bore is perfect and the part numbers match.

1-13 barrel is from a 1903 model - 1903a3 models were not put into production til 1941 by remington + 1942 by smith corona - 1-13 = january 1913 -

tony thanks for the offer not sure if I am going to shoot it.

usnmars I was told it was safe because it went through a armory rebuild ( think that is the correct term) and there is a hole in the side of the receiver which I was told makes it safe to shoot.

mauser I don't know what barrel it has.

The individual who showed me the rifle is an expert on military weapons of the past. He told me the gun was 100% and this is someone I trust.

tony thanks for the offer not sure if I am going to shoot it.

usnmars I was told it was safe because it went through a armory rebuild ( think that is the correct term) and there is a hole in the side of the receiver which I was told makes it safe to shoot.

mauser I don't know what barrel it has.

The individual who showed me the rifle is an expert on military weapons of the past. He told me the gun was 100% and this is someone I trust.

Don't know what this so-called "expert" told you but me thinks something is rotten in Denmark. I'll assume it was "Smokin Joe"?

What stands out in my mind is if it was a true military arsenal rebuild why would it have a pre-war '03 Jan. 1913 dated barrel on a WWII military rifle?

WWI 1903's were usually rebuilt with WWII '03A3 barrels not the other way around.

How is your barrel stamped? It should have the Mfg's initials on top, a flaming bomb proof mark under that then the date which you reported as 1-13.

Is the stock cartouched with a "OG" stamp? If not, then what?

Barrel

What was the sale price....

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Surp ... _Guns.html

Scroll to the bottom and the last 2 on the left are pristine and correct rebuilds, the prices on these are excellent.

rearsenaled rifles like this go for much more in shops and at show's. These are also shooters no seance in owning a firearm

if you can't shoot it safely or correctly. If you do purchase the one from BA then I would take it to a gun smith and make sure it's head spaced correctly with the proper gauge most of them are not which can prove to be very dangerous. It's very rare when a local shop in this area has quality and correctly priced surplus weapons for their grade. CMP shooters grade Garands go for twice as much as they would from CMP. From my findings with the exception of Sarco and I am sure a few others these kind of purchases are better made online or FTF with a collector of this type of firearm.

i have never seen a 100% 1903 except at the nra + springfield armory museums - if you post the first 3 numbers , amount of numbers in serial number , + manufacturer i can give you an apx. date of manufacturer + if 1913 barrel is correct - even low # weak receivers were rebuilt at gov't arsenals , still does not make them safe to shoot !

mauser 88 was correct in what he said - i think he was just trying to help you -

mauser 88 was correct in what he said - i think he was just trying to help you -

Exactly. I was just trying to help prevent him from getting "hosed".

Based on his description of the rifle, lot's of red flags went off. I figured he was getting the typical BS sales line on the rifle form the "expert".

Some people walk through life with their eyes wide open, others with blinders on.

Like I said, I won't make that mistake with Wolfy again.

I have a 1903 Springfield Mark 1 with a safe serial number. The rifle was built in April of 1920 and re-barreled in June of 1942 for WWII. Rear sight is in front of the port and has the slot for the Pedersen Device. It was re-stocked with a Keystone stock at some point, but overall in great shape. It's one of my favorites at the range.

Exactly. I was just trying to help prevent him from getting "hosed".

Based on his description of the rifle, lot's of red flags went off. I figured he was getting the typical BS sales line on the rifle form the "expert".

Some people walk through life with their eyes wide open, others with blinders on.

Like I said, I won't make that mistake with Wolfy again.

will side with you on this one. =)

We have alot of very knowledgeable people on this board. I saw this rifle myself last night and looked good, but then again, I am no expert. Post it here, I am sure we can get to the bottom of this. =)

Wolfy, is that hole actually a horizontal slot on the left side of the receiver? Also, what kind of rear sight does it have? Just curious. BTW, if only these old relics could talk, eh?!

I will be able to answer questions better when I pick her up. Yes the hole is on the left side of the receiver. What are you asking about the rear site?

He's asking to find out if it has the correct sight or not. The 1903 should have a ladder type sight affixed to the barrel just forward of the receiver unlike the 03A3 sight which is a small adjustable style sight mounted at the rear of the receiver.

A word of advise if I may. When laying out your hard earned cash for a "collectable" firearm it's always best to educate yourself first rather then take the word of a "gun shop expert".

Time and time again I've run into people who purchased a collectable WWI or WWII firearm from an "expert" that was a incorrect.

With the availability of the internet there's no reason not to be educated anymore.

Time and time again I've run into people who purchased a collectable WWI or WWII firearm from an "expert" that was a incorrect.

With the availability of the internet there's no reason not to be educated anymore.

Big bump to this, was burned once, it was only for $150.00 but it never happened again.

Since then I have researched every surplus or collectors item I have purchased since and paid the correct going rate and even taught a few sellers what they actually had. This is one industry where anyone with a FFL believes they are firearm experts. Just check out some of the ad's on Gunbroker most do not even list their surplus rifles as the correct model or type.

My post has 0 to do with BA, never went there, never used them and have 0 opinion of them.

I have read good stores about them and horror stories about them but that is how it goes for almost any business, you cannot keep all of the customers happy all of the time.

The bore is perfect and the part numbers match.

If "the parts match" means they all have the same serial number then this may not be all original. AFAIK when they left the factory the only sn was on the receiver. Those that went to foreign countries were serial numbered on parts as is practice in many countries.

If the barrel is 1913 and original then this falls into the category of a low numbered 03 as schutzen says and is not safe to shoot.

This is a good informative website on the subject:

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

BTW, I usually shoot the Greek ammo from CMP, which I bought for my Garands, in my '03 as opposed to hotter loads.

I am a us surplus newbie... but what would make this unsafe to fire?

Andy has the right answer.

BTW, I usually shoot the Greek ammo from CMP, which I bought for my Garands, in my '03 as opposed to hotter loads

The 03 will take hotter loads but I also use the HXP from CMP. More than enough energy to punch paper.

Alot of them were also once demilled and used as drill or parade rifles, I have seen the demilled ones taken and made back into so called shooters, I have a buddy on another site that almost lost an eye to one of them. I find these at gun shows all the time in PA.

oooh, after reading I had forgotten about the weak recievers, it is an 03 rifle and in excellent condition. the barrel is also stamped 1-13 so it is also an 03. it does have the prad stamps for arsenal remann and is also parked.

oooh, after reading I had forgotten about the weak recievers, it is an 03 rifle and in excellent condition. the barrel is also stamped 1-13 so it is also an 03. it does have the prad stamps for arsenal remann and is also parked.

What was it going for?