Malsua

New STS-33 for Permits?

I noticed there's a new STS-33 form dated 9/09 The previous one was dated 11/03

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/fi ... ts-033.pdf

I'm going to guess this is the latest form and use it to get some PPs tomorrow.

Anyone else notice this?

I'm not sure if this is the form you guys are talking about but while I was fighting with my PD this morning, the one officer was telling me about this new form that has to go to the state police now. All this does is supposedly a name check that has to be done now. It costs 18 dollars with a money order, PER PERMIT.

So one pistol permit now costs 20 dollars

If you want a change of address, yup you got it, 18 dollars plus whatever else it costs.

if you want 3 pistol permits, get ready to cough up 60 bucks. I guess this is NJ's way of trying to slow down the application process for people since Barry has made an influx of people apply for processes.

HuH?

The form listed above is what I used yesterday.

It was the usual $18.00 fee for the state, then $2.00 per permit for a total of $12.00 for me.

I think if it were any different I would have been stopped and advised right then and there.

I would call the state police and clear this up if I were you.

There never use to be an 18 dollar fee for pistol permits. When I went to my local PD 11 weeks ago, I paid 6 bucks for 3 permits. And you need to check your math again BTW

Ahh no I do not.

Your right The fee for the back ground check by the state. It has always been $18.00 that goes to the state police it's not for the permits, the fee's you pay for the permits go to the local PD.

This is my 3rd time getting permits this year alone, and it's been like this since I can remember.

The $2.00 fee per permit is for the local PD, so like I said $18.00 to the state and $2.00 x 6=$12.00 to the local PD. I mean this is real grade school stuff here. :roll:

There never use to be an 18 dollar fee for pistol permits. When I went to my local PD 11 weeks ago, I paid 6 bucks for 3 permits. And you need to check your math again BTW

Ahh no I do not.

Your right The fee for the back ground check by the state. It has always been $18.00 that goes to the state police it's not for the permits, the fee's you pay for the permits go to the local PD.

This is my 3rd time getting permits this year alone, and it's been like this since I can remember.

The $2.00 fee per permit is for the local PD, so like I said $18.00 to the state and $2.00 x 6=$12.00 to the local PD. I mean this is real grade school stuff here. :roll:

haha not to be anal but you said, 18 to state and 6 permits @ 2 totals 12 dollars. Really its 6 permits for 30 dollars because your still paying the 18 dollars.

Anyway, PK just said in another thread that the 18 is only charged once and not for each permit like my PD led me to believe so thats good news.

And 11 weeks ago, I definitely only paid 6 bucks for 3 permits, never paid the 18 to the state.

And 11 weeks ago, I definitely only paid 6 bucks for 3 permits, never paid the 18 to the state.

Then your local PD screwed since it's been in the books for at least 5 years, that's how long i have been buying pistols.

Then your local PD screwed since it's been in the books for at least 5 years, that's how long i have been buying pistols.

Wouldn't surprise me one little bit man. My town can be quite special.

I didn't pay the $18 and got my pistol permits just fine. Oooooo!

I'll have to make sure I clarify it with the PD next time, or just wait for the SCOTUS to get rid of our crap state rules for us and then it will be $0 ftw. (One can dream can't he?)

Has anyone used the form you can fill out online and print?I did one a few weeks ago made two copies but havent gotten a chance to go down yet.

Yes - and used it successfully.

When I went for subsequent permits, I was about 4 months after my initial permits and FPID and I didn't have to pay $18 - just my $2 per permit...

Has anyone used the form you can fill out online and print?I did one a few weeks ago made two copies but havent gotten a chance to go down yet.

Yes, just nmake sure you have the latest form.

I had the old form and they called me back in to hand fill the new forms (pain in the ass).

For what it's worth, I called my Dept and there is a one time per app $18 fee for Pistol Permits plus the normal $2 per.

Of course, tomorrow I'm off and they aren't in due to training! Arg. It's a pain in the ass for me to get down there during the work day.

Me things we are being hosed boy's!

No where does it mention the $18.00 state processing fee's in acquiring permits once you

already have the FOID card. Unless I am missing something here.

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.4 Applications for a firearms purchaser identification card and for a permit

to purchase a handgun

(a) Every person applying for a firearms purchaser identification card or for a permit to purchase

a handgun shall furnish such information and particulars as are set forth in the application form

designated STS-33. Forms can be obtained from municipal police departments, State Police stations

and licensed retail firearms dealers.

(b) The applicant shall waive any statutory or other right of confidentiality relating to institutional

confinement.

© The applicant shall provide the names and addresses of two reputable citizens personally

acquainted with him as references.

(d) The application shall be signed by the applicant and the completed application, together with

two sets of the applicant's fingerprints and fees as established by N.J.A.C. 13:59 in accordance with

N.J.S.A. 53:1-20.5 et seq., a consent for mental health records search form designated SP 66 and a

nonrefundable application fee of $ 5.00 for a firearms identification card and $ 2.00 for a permit to

purchase a handgun, shall be submitted to the chief of police of an organized full-time police

department in the municipality in which the applicant resides. If the municipality does not have an

organized full-time police department, application shall be made to the State Police station servicing

the municipality in which the applicant resides, or to any State Police station in the case of a nonresident.

(e) The chief of police of an organized full time police department of the municipality where the

applicant resides, or the Superintendent, when the applicant is a non-resident of this State or when

the municipality does not have a full time department, shall accept and investigate applications for

firearms purchaser identification cards and permits to purchase handguns.

(f) The fingerprints of any applicant shall be compared with any fingerprints maintained by the

State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Identification for the purpose of

ascertaining the existence of any criminal record. The fingerprints shall be obtained and submitted

for such comparison by the chief of police or the State Police, as the case may be.

(g) An applicant for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser

identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same

licensing authority for which he or she was previously fingerprinted, and who provides an additional

valid identification document of his or her identity, need not be fingerprinted again. In such cases,

the chief of police or Superintendent shall otherwise fully investigate the applicant in accordance

with this subchapter. The chief of police or Superintendent shall require the applicant to complete

the New Jersey State Police, State Bureau of Identification (SBI) "Request For Criminal History

Record Information For Non Criminal Justice Purpose" form, and pay the appropriate fee

established by N.J.A.C. 13:59. Applicants unable to provide an additional valid identification

document shall submit to fingerprinting.

(h) Applicants for a permit to purchase a handgun may apply for more than one permit per

application. The number of permits requested, and each permit number shall be entered in the spaces

provided on the application.

(i) The chief of police or the Superintendent, as the case may be, shall either approve or disapprove

the applications. Permits and cards shall be issued by the chief of police or the Superintendent to

persons who are found to be qualified and who are not subject to any of the disabilities set forth by

this subchapter.

Oops double post.

Me things we are being hosed boy's!

No where does it mention the $18.00 state processing fee's in acquiring permits once you

already have the FOID card. Unless I am missing something here.

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.4 Applications for a firearms purchaser identification card and for a permit

to purchase a handgun

(a) Every person applying for a firearms purchaser identification card or for a permit to purchase

a handgun shall furnish such information and particulars as are set forth in the application form

designated STS-33. Forms can be obtained from municipal police departments, State Police stations

and licensed retail firearms dealers.

(b) The applicant shall waive any statutory or other right of confidentiality relating to institutional

confinement.

© The applicant shall provide the names and addresses of two reputable citizens personally

acquainted with him as references.

(d) The application shall be signed by the applicant and the completed application, together with

two sets of the applicant's fingerprints and fees as established by N.J.A.C. 13:59 in accordance with

N.J.S.A. 53:1-20.5 et seq., a consent for mental health records search form designated SP 66 and a

nonrefundable application fee of $ 5.00 for a firearms identification card and $ 2.00 for a permit to

purchase a handgun, shall be submitted to the chief of police of an organized full-time police

department in the municipality in which the applicant resides. If the municipality does not have an

organized full-time police department, application shall be made to the State Police station servicing

the municipality in which the applicant resides, or to any State Police station in the case of a nonresident.

(e) The chief of police of an organized full time police department of the municipality where the

applicant resides, or the Superintendent, when the applicant is a non-resident of this State or when

the municipality does not have a full time department, shall accept and investigate applications for

firearms purchaser identification cards and permits to purchase handguns.

(f) The fingerprints of any applicant shall be compared with any fingerprints maintained by the

State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Identification for the purpose of

ascertaining the existence of any criminal record. The fingerprints shall be obtained and submitted

for such comparison by the chief of police or the State Police, as the case may be.

(g) An applicant for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser

identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same

licensing authority for which he or she was previously fingerprinted, and who provides an additional

valid identification document of his or her identity, need not be fingerprinted again. In such cases,

the chief of police or Superintendent shall otherwise fully investigate the applicant in accordance

with this subchapter. The chief of police or Superintendent shall require the applicant to complete

the New Jersey State Police, State Bureau of Identification (SBI) "Request For Criminal History

Record Information For Non Criminal Justice Purpose" form, and pay the appropriate fee

established by N.J.A.C. 13:59. Applicants unable to provide an additional valid identification

document shall submit to fingerprinting.

(h) Applicants for a permit to purchase a handgun may apply for more than one permit per

application. The number of permits requested, and each permit number shall be entered in the spaces

provided on the application.

(i) The chief of police or the Superintendent, as the case may be, shall either approve or disapprove

the applications. Permits and cards shall be issued by the chief of police or the Superintendent to

persons who are found to be qualified and who are not subject to any of the disabilities set forth by

this subchapter.

I did just that. Downloaded the form and typed in my info. Printed out 2 copies.

When I went to the PD to turn it in I caught a bunch of grief from the clerk about how it's not the right form, and where did I get it? After a very short "From the state police's website"

All I got was an "Oh".

It's amazing how the attitudes of the clerks vary. My town has 2 clerks working the PD desk.

One is very friendly and helpful, even going so far as to point out little gotchas that could delay the permitting process. The other makes it seem like you are and evil person for even bothering to follow the law.