Bob D

30 06 M2 Ball Ammo

the M1 garand was designed for the gas system to operate with a specific powder burn rate. It was designed to operate with surplus m2 ball which is the same as anything labeled M2, M2 30-06 ect, anything else and you are asking for problems. I have read about everything from bent oprods to complete catastrophic failures. Greek HXP from the cmp is the best, but you can get some off of gunbroker too. You can use an adjustable gas plug and shoot commercial ammo through it safely but it usually takes about half a box to get it set right. So if you order a plug order a couple of boxes of ammo.

Just adding a little to what usnmars said. M2 was adopted in the 1930s to reduce the range of military 30-06 ammo (that's another story). The faster powders (usually IMR4064 or faster) used in M2 give a faster pressure rise than slower powders. This is what makes the Garand work, pressures in a specific range. Slower powders would give a pressure peak later on and thats what bends op rods. The receiver can take it, the gas system can't.

Dimensions of 30-06 and M2 are the same. M2 Ball just denotes it is FMJ ammo.

Federal makes a specific load safe for the M1 but expensive. Greek HXP is much cheaper and very good.

I've fired my Garand only a few times using commercial 30-06 ammo.

Not ever firing one of these great rifles before, I wasn't sure just how much of a kick it should

have. So far it appears that I was lucky not to have done any damage.

I will obtain the correct ammo and return to the range.

Thank you all for clearing this up for me.

The good members of this forum contain a wealth of knowledge!

Bob D

The American Eagle has a load taylored for the M-1. How easiliy available it will be is anyone's guess.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... spx?id=810

My dad has been ordering it online a few boxes at a time. It's pretty accurate stuff. First shots out of his rifle where about 2 inches at 50 yards. That's with a wobbly table too.. not any kind of precision shooting.

Dang, I managed to get my order in to CMP for 2 cans before 28 Sep, alosng with a Special M1, so I hope I will see it. The Federal "M1 load" .30-06 is $21.95/20 @ Ammo to go. Just noodling about the internets, there seems to be two sides to this issue, that 150gr commercial ammo is OK w/o any mods to the M1, and other side says no commerical ammo is safe at all w/o an adjustable gas plug. Hm, the Schuster plug:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=412046

Seems to be the preferred choice of these things, anyone have one on their M1? I can see it being a good thing to have to prolong the life of the rifle, and acct for different reloads, but what do I know....

Just got notification my CMP ammo shipped, I got the order in on 8 Sept, they said 90-120 days to ship, and still do. But I guess with the stock being exhausted, they are finishing the last orders quicker??? Now maybe my M1 will come in just as quick 8-)