BCeagle

What ammo do you keep loaded for home defense.

I bring it up because most guys I know use some kind of jacket hollow point, but my buddy says he uses regular range ammo and thought it didnt make a difference since he lives in a home with no kids in deserted area and doesnt care about over penetrarion. On the flip side there are all the specialty ammo, RBCD, glazer etc.

What do you keep and why?

I bring it up because most guys I know use some kind of jacket hollow point, but my buddy says he uses regular range ammo and thought it didnt make a difference since he lives in a home with no kids in deserted area and doesnt care about over penetrarion. On the flip side there are all the specialty ammo, RBCD, glazer etc.

Speer Gold Dots, non +p, 230gr .45 ACP. Slow, heavy and feels like a mule kick. Big entry hole, huge gaping maw on the way out.

I keep my shotgun loaded with a number of 2.75" shells. First two are rubber buck (great stuff from Fiocchi, LTL rounds), next three are 00 buck, next two are slugs. If I have to get down to the slugs, I should be very worried.

00 buck for the 12ga and Federal Hydra Shok 124gr for the 9mm

It's not so much that I'd be worried about over penetration with range ammo, it's more that it because it doesn't expand, it is less likely to hit a major artery...not much of a wound channel.

Shrug...better to hit two shots to the chest and one to the head with range ammo than to graze with super perp shredder +p.

My guns are for target practice and sporting use only

For home defense we keep our sneakers near the bed so we can run away if someone enters our home uninvited

My guns are for target practice and sporting use only

For home defense we keep our sneakers near the bed so we can run away if someone enters our home uninvited

Sounds like you have looked at the prosecutors in Jersey and made a good plan.

Since NJ has a firm history of upholding its "Castleless Doctrine" I wouldn't dream of defending myself against criminals breaking into my family's home.

But if I lived in a state in which my family had rights this is what I'd have set up in the safe that would be near by and opened at night for easy access:

XD40 Tactical - Remington Golden Saber 180g JHP, full clip, not armed.

Ruger LCP - Hornady Critical Defense .380 90g FTX, 6+1 and ready to go

I would also look into a 12g, if I could find a safe place to store it.

Also for if the world ends I would have some bonded GS JHP for the .45 ACP. Ya know, just in case my house is attacked by cars, tanks, etc. :lol:

My wife would have a baseball bat under her side of the bed since she doesn't like firearms.

But I live in NJ so this is all theoretical of course.

Since NJ has a firm history of upholding its "Castleless Doctrine" I wouldn't dream of defending myself against criminals breaking into my family's home.

But if I lived in a state in which my family had rights this is what I'd have set up in the safe that would be near by and opened at night for easy access:

But I live in NJ so this is all theoretical of course.

keeping his train of thought going, i would mag safes and/or hydra shoks, with either 00,000, or 4 buck in the 12, whichever i feel like using at the time.

i havent researched, but is NJ a state with the 'equal force' law?

i havent researched, but is NJ a state with the 'equal force' law?

In practice the criminals have more rights than citizens here.

I'll leave the actual discussion of the laws to lawyers and knowledgeable LEO's.

And yes, it pisses me off and I'm bitter. :lol:

870 Hornady tap 00 buckshot

xd 45 Hornady tap 45acp 230 +p

taurus 85 speer gold dot 125g +p

and when she's ready

charter arms southpaw hornady critical defense 110g

if that isn't enough call dan's stache!